Cheap protein powder

Gym rat

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus the reson being I am asking you this question I figured it would be cheaper for me to make the change from 750g of whey protein to the 1kg size so dont have buy the 750g size every second fornight which comes to $93.80 a mouth.

yup.... ok lets make it easy for you gymrat

your currently paying $47 for 750g which is 15g to the dollar

if you were to buy a 5lb, 2.27kg tub for $89 that is 25g to the dollar so your getting roughly 70% more for you money.

in other words, buy a bigger tub and it will be cheaper in the long run, and last you longer too!

Ah it's all in the math yeah! :) I buy Eat Me Whey Protein direct from the manufacturer in Wellington. A 1kg pack is $45, 80% protein, strawberry etc, free freight to my door. So that’s 22g to the buck and probably the cheapest deal around for a small amount. My last order was 3kg for $120 delivered, that’s 25g to the dollar. I’ve heard that they sell cheaper at trade price for bulk orders …. But 3kg will keep me going for a while. Email: office@eatme.net.nz :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

Don't just look for the cheapest based on the size of the container, also consider the protein value per serve and the serving size. If you are using the supermarket stuff now then you will be wrapped with something like Optimum Nutrition or EAS as they have about 23-24g per serving and around 74 servings per 5lb container - for under $100 that will go along way.

Shop around the online supplement shops (nutratech or punchsupplements to name a few) for a good deal, both are brands I trust and swear buy and are not too expensive.

One thing is for sure, dont keep buying the supermarket stuff, your body will love you for the move :nod:

Thats just my 2 cents, I am sure there will be some who agree and those who are just wrong :pfft:

Don't just look for the cheapest based on the size of the container, also consider the protein value per serve and the serving size.

One thing is for sure, dont keep buying the supermarket stuff, your body will love you for the move :nod:

:pfft:

definitly

i use to use supermarket supplements.

but compared to online protein powder. i got mine from nutratech and it is cheaper by weight, better nutritional value, and it has big brand names.

never look back at paknsave :pfft:

Here’s my experience in order of cheapness – but it requires effort to save cash …

1. NEW ZEALAND MANUFACTURERS

Go to the website and email them. Aim for free stuff (sponsorship) or to buy at wholesale price. It’s free to ask – they can only say no. Or get your mates together and work out how much whey you eat between you all, then ask for a monthly amount at the wholesale price (just like any retailer does). Tell them about yourself and what you can do for them (you both have something to gain). If you haven’t seen what you want on the shop shelf or their website – ask them if they have it anyway. If it’s a local product you know it’s not made from whey powder made from Chinese milk (bad). You aren’t paying for it to be shipped all the way here from the other side of the world (expensive).

Horleys http://www.horleys.com/

Balance http://sports.nutralife.co.nz/

Eat Me http://www.eatme.net.nz/

NFS http://www.creativeenergy.co.nz/

2. NEW ZEALAND MPORTERS

Look for the contact details on the label. They add a mark up, but it’s the next cheapest option and they will sell to anyone before it reaches the distribution guys where things get tighter. This is a good option if you love those US based products with a million words on the label and glossy flyers featuring scientists in white lab coats.

3. NEW ZEALAND DISTRIBUTORS

They add a mark up too. You can sometimes find the details on the label.

4. PERSON TRAINERS

These guys make a living by making sure their clients are satisfied. So they push the exercise, recovery, nutrition message and sell the nutrition straight from their gym bag. All they did was email a manufacturer (or all of them) buy 20 tubs of whey and sell it 50% cheaper than the ones behind the gym counter. Nice little earner! Ask around the gym and make yourself known. Or email the manufactures yourself.

5. PRODUCT DUMPING

Feeling lucky? Your local retailer suddenly has a mountain of EAS going cheap because another chain cancelled an order – time to stock up. When Balance relabeled their products, Health 2000 had 30% off. Make sure you check the best before date on discount stock.

6. ONLINE RETAILERS

Google ‘whey protein’. These guys are sometimes called ticket clickers because they collect a percentage of every product sold but probably don’t stock the product themselves. They notify the distributor that you have bought a product and the distributor ships it to you. Check the cost of POSTAGE - before you buy! Is the website secure for credit card payment? Paying by internet banking is a good option. Check the Aussie online retailers for good deals.

7. SHOP RETAILERS

Retailers add a massive mark up – often 100% or more over the original manufacturer price – but they earn it. They have a shop, trained staff, stock and overheads. Use supplement club cards and try and buy in bulk to increase your bargaining power. It’s a recession, times are tough, so bargain - see if you can get 20% off the price. If not – try the next shop.

8. GYM

You pay the price for convenience, just like buying potato chips at the servo. This might be your most expensive option. Unless you can wrangle a deal with one of the friendly staff behind the counter…

Go for it!

Wow. That's a comprehensive list, HQ. Thanks for that. I particularly like the "Go for it!" at the end. You've got me feeling amped up about buying protein powder. :pfft:

Is the website secure for credit card payment? Paying by internet banking is a good option.

I'm not suggesting using insecure sites, but credit card companies will often reimburse you if something does go wrong. I'm not sure you get the same security if you simply pay through internet banking.

I did buy a two pound of Metrix 100% Natrual whey off the xtreame nutrition web site for only 45 dollars which I thought was good price while I was waiting for two pound off whey to come in the mail I used a cheap Horleys protein which I bought from supermarket.

I suppose you got to do the rounds to get the best prices.

I know that Nutrition plus has an offer on Balance at the moment. 1.5-3kg tubs I think.

I go Optimum nutrition,

jego@onnutrition.co.nz

http://www.onnutrition.co.nz

$35 for 1lb

$45 for 2lbs which is 900g, which is the gold standard whey

$90 for 5lbs

He has 10lbs bags too.

You also get heaps of free stuff from him if your a regular, free shipping in Auckland too