New Bar is awesome

hrdcor

has any one tried those new Power Crunch bars, they are amazing !!!

They are styled like those pink waffer biscuts we used to love as kids ( and still do)but with amazing nitrition stats

Theres a Total carb count of 9grms(that makes it the lowest carb bar on the market)4 grms from sugars, 14 grams of a new heat resistant whey called Proto Whey that has the highest BVOs( a lot of wheys denature slightly whilst been made into a bar)its got psyllium fiber, added L glutamine,mcts and the amazing thing is the taste , you gotta try em to beleive em !! seriously I cant stop eating them.

Nice advert - how are the sales going :grin:

Got a bit too many hydrogentaed fats for my liking - and even though its low in carbs half the carbs are still sugars and it ain't that high in protein. Is it supposed to be a protein bar or a high protein biscuit?

Flex you seem to be in the know,cant you make your own mind up on wether it is a biscut or bar, dosent realy matter what you call em realy they are awesome , so much so that they are the number one selling bar in NZ and the USA, they are selling so much in the USA and Canada the manufactureing plant has had to keep production going around the clock to meet demands!!!

I would like a little more protein myself in the bar but for mid morning and afternoon snacks it is perfect,especialy for ladies, I personaly have them along with my shake in the afternoon and again at night, but you make up your own minds people , try them first then decide, its like the old saying , how do you know if you can lift a weight, if you dont lift the weight!!!(Lee Haney)

I agree that these powercrunch bars are yummy - I'm not a big fan of protein bars cos a lot of them taste powdery. The only other bars that I can stomach are the Sculpt bars (Apricot choc is the best) and the Hi Protein Naked bars which are in the cheaper range, you can get them from the supermarket. Comes in a box of 6 for around $4 a box. The sculpt bars are $2.39 ea at Pak N Save.

I truly can't see how those bars could become the number one selling protein bar in the US or in NZ. If so, it's a sad reflection on the way people have been suckered in to thinking things like this are good for them. True, some of them might be better for you than a peanut butter sandwich and bars have their place once in a blue moon if you don't have the opportunity to have a protein shake or a whole food meal. But used everyday for one or two meals is where people start to go wrong.

It should really be up the the retailers and independant nutritionists/dietitions to educate the consumers - sadly though that doesn't seem to be the case, so the bar craze has taken off. Bars are now the fast food of the sports nutrition world, and are used to make people feel good about themselves when they eat something full of sugar and/or fat. They cost a bomb and are making some people alot of money. They are filled with more and more rubbish than ever - artificial additives, sweeteners and flavours, fractionated corn syrup, all manner of sugars, hydrogenated fats, and non-protein proteins i.e. hydrolyzed gelatin and other denatured and lower grade proteins - but at least they have five layes of peanuts, smothered by 3 layers of caramel with a biscuit, wafer base and real blueberry peices inside it. If it says it has protein in it, people seem to think it's good for them.

If I sound a bit heavy handed on this, I apologise. It's just that bars really aren't that great. If you use them as an occasional supplement to your diet then that's fine. If you use them regularly, everyday, and they have become a firm fixture of your diet (perhaps someone has suggested this to you for whatever reason) then you may want to put a little more effort into sorting the diet. I know not everyone may agree with me on this, so I'm open to any opinions that others may have.

If I sound a bit heavy handed on this, I apologise. It's just that bars really aren't that great. If you use them as an occasional supplement to your diet then that's fine. If you use them regularly, everyday, and they have become a firm fixture of your diet (perhaps someone has suggested this to you for whatever reason) then you may want to put a little more effort into sorting the diet. I know not everyone may agree with me on this, so I'm open to any opinions that others may have.

I don't think you're being heavy handed at all Flex.

Anyone who regularly eats meal replacement or protein bars should take a close look at the ingredients and investigate exactly what those ingredients are. Once you're informed about what's actually in them, you may not like them quite so much.

Flex I would suggest real harsh, alot of people these days , and Im not talking people like you ( tho I have no idea what type of person you are this is just a asumption you are fit and healthy and relativly schooled in nutrition), use bars as a substitute to foods such as , chocolate , biscuts, cakes,pies,lollies,chips etc etc, you know the usual choice of food people make when busy. these people are very time restricted due to the fact they have jobs, and you would be pretty hard pressed to sell your argument to these individuls whom use these bars as a alternative option to there old food choices , and any nutritionst worth there salt would only reccomend bars if prepareing food just was not a substanable option, and any nutritionist worth there salt would no exactly what was in the products they reccomend, but I gotta admit those bars with all the caramel and stuff are a bit much and should be only used as a treat option and not every day once or twice a week maybe, and of course whole foods would be better in a perfect world but sadly it is not so bars make a damm better option to some peoples usual choices wouldnt you say!!, and thats the point right there makeing choices to what ever is your best option under your own personal cicumstances, that is why bars sell so well.

Truth be told there are some applications where they are good - replacing chocolate bars, biscuits, pies, soda etc, and as a way of introducing people to healthier eating they could be a good start. If the occasional use of a "protein" bar is going to help someone stick with their diet then it's probably best for them if they are used every so often, but IMO I think they are a little over prescribed. It would be nice if the nutrition companies could make a bar that tasted good, with decent protein, but without all the rubbish that goes along with most of them. I realise I may be asking too much, and a decent tasting bar with quality protein may not be possible without all the fats, sweeteners, sugars and additives.

• 3 months later...

I personally find the Power Crunch Bars leave an after taste. They do remind me of the waffer treats we had as a kid. They upset my stomach and I find them too lite and that is probably why you cant stop eating them Hardcor. So I think they are dangerous as they dont satisfy whch means you may eat a couple at a time, with the sweeteners this isnt a good idea. So sorry but I dont think much of them at all!! There is a new bar out by Horleys called Carb Less which is a nice snack and tasty, probably for women with the protein a bit less than what men need. My favourite's would have to be good old Musashi Fruit Slice, old school high amino bar, or I go for the Aussie Bodies HPLC with the good fats in them.

enjoy :evil:

• 11 months later...

Zoneperfect bars state "Best tasting nutrition bar or your money back". Pretty bold claim right?

Also says "all natural" with no artificial colors, flavours or sweetners. I saw these on my last shopping trip to Foodtown :P Tried a few and DOuble Chocolate is defintely my fav with NO AFTER TASTE... The EAS Lite Bar Peanut Caramel is one of the better tasting bars in the EAS family. The EAS Deluxe Smores bar is pretty darn good too but very heavy in calories.

On the subject of nutritional bar use, I always let consumers know that wholefood is by far the best source of calories, providing they are of correct portion size and nutrients per individual. The convinience and "craving-killing" power of bars however, cannot go overlooked. At EAS, we certainly recommend Myoplex Powders or the new Myoplex Ready-to-drinks (RTD) first over our bar range, but bars cetainly do have a place in our modern life styles. I guess you could argue how convienient and nutritionally substancial the Myoplex RTDs are compared to bars too since the advancement in the RTD building technology in the last 3 months.

:pfft:

i must say imo most bars taste like shit.

i much prefer rtd shakes.

In that case you want to try the Muscle Milk RTDs. They are honestly extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely tasty.

Seeing as others are getting in on the bar trip, In the next week or two I'll have the MAX'S CVGM Bars over here. They are a very tasty bar with a hefty belt of 32 odd grams of GOOD protein. Will let you know who's got them.

In that case you want to try the Muscle Milk RTDs. They are honestly extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely tasty.

Seeing as others are getting in on the bar trip, In the next week or two I'll have the MAX'S CVGM Bars over here. They are a very tasty bar with a hefty belt of 32 odd grams of GOOD protein. Will let you know who's got them.

Sounds good to me waldo.

Sounds good to me waldo.

Chur!

Zoneperfect bars state "Best tasting nutrition bar or your money back". Pretty bold claim right?

Also says "all natural" with no artificial colors, flavours or sweetners.

I must admit I quite like the taste of the Zone perfect bars but can't quite believe the statement of " ALL NATURAL". I'd love to find out where in nature the following ingredients are found:

Fractionated Palm Kernal and palm oils:

(care of EAS.com) A fat molecule consists of a "backbone" (glycerol) attached to three fatty acid tails (see "triglyceride"). This molecule can be broken up, or "fractionated," then separated based on physical properties such as consistency or melting point. In this way, manufacturers of products are able to produce a product that melts at the correct temperature ("in your mouth," for instance), but stay solid at a lower temperature (i.e. "in your hand"). Nutritionally, some parts of the "fractionated" fat are better than the original oil, and other fractions of the oil are worse for bodily health. Oils commonly used for fractionation include coconut, palm, palm kernel, cotton, avocado, peanut, and soybean, among others.

Sorbitan monostearate:

(care of wikipedia) - Sorbitan monostearate is an ester of sorbitol and stearic acid and is sometimes referred to as a synthetic wax. It is primarily used for emulsifying water and oils together. Sorbitan monostearate is used in manufacture of food and healthcare products, and is a nonionic surfactant with emulsifying, dispersing, and wetting properties. It is also employed to create synthetic fibers, metal machining fluid, brighteners in the leather industry, as an emulsifier in coatings, in pesticides, and various applications for the plastic industry.

High Fructose corn syrup:

High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is produced by processing corn starch to yield glucose, and then processing the glucose to produce a high percentage of fructose. HFCS has the exact same sweetness and taste as an equal amount of sucrose from cane or beet sugar but it is obviously much more complicated to make, involving vats of murky fermenting liquid, fungus and chemical tweaking. Consumers trying to avoid genetically modified foods should avoid HFCS. It is almost certainly made from genetically modified corn and then it is processed with genetically modified enzymes. - more info here: http://www.westonaprice.org/motherlinda/cornsyrup.html

Bleached Wheat Flour:

Bleached flour is flour that was subjected to flour bleaching agents in order to whiten it (freshly milled flour is yellowish) and give it more gluten-producing potential. Similar effect can be achieved by letting the flour slowly oxidize with oxygen in the air ("natural aging"); however this process is too slow to be commercially viable. Oxidizing agents are therefore employed, most commonly organic peroxides like acetone peroxide or benzoyl peroxide, nitrogen dioxide, or chlorine.

Glycerine:

Glycerine (also called glycerin or glycerol) is an alcohol produced as a byproduct during the manufacture of soap and biodiesel. It absorbs water from the air, and it is used as a moisturizer in soaps and lotions. Glycerine has a sweet taste, and it can be used as a food preservative and a non-sugar sweetener.

I'd imagine it's mainly a money thing. HFSC is apparently more stable than sucrose and doesn't turn bad as quick so can sit on the shelf for a lot longer. It will maintain its flavour and sweetness longer than sucrose. It also has a lower freezing point than sucrose, and is also currently more suited for baking than sucrose as it makes baked foods "sweeter", more moist and gives a better texture than sucrose based products. t

Probably the biggest factor is that HFSC is from corn - a major crop grown in the USA , and one which is heavily subsidised by the US government, which encourages farmers to grow the crop as the government makes up in monetary payment should there be any shortfall or drop in the value of corn.

There are also heavy sugar tariffs imposed in the USA which pushes up the cost of sugar, and also the USA limit the amount of sugar they import so as to not cause a reduction in the price.

Unfortunately because of these factors there is now a major glut of corn growers in the USA so it's easier and cheaper to fill everything with HFSC than sucrose.

There's a good, albeit maybe quite biased article on corn subsidies here: http://www.accidentalhedonist.com/index ... ral_cost_o