HIIT

greyghost

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go 1:1 and use the same speed that you were talking about. Its still intense, but allows me to go for 20 minutes. For the next ten minutes I lower the speed every 1-2 minutes by 1-2 kph. Just to ease out of it.

Far out, so you do 30 mins all up? :shock: Thats pretty intense in one go, even if the 10 minutes is easing out. I dont really ease out, i find warm downs a waste of time, just go straight onto my weights.

I tried the 1:1 method yesterday at level 17.5. That is DEFINUTLY more challenging than my 2:1 method at 15.5. After 15 mins i was so close to collapsing and was struggling to make the full minute each time. Not too sure if thats a better though, although i guess thats the point of HIIT. :?

Strangely my heart rate was still about the same, although it felt like it was going 100x faster. It never seems to go about 180 no matter what.

Hi everyone.

I am interested in HIIT and have a set workout which i follow weekly on my rest days.

Here goes...........

A five minute warm up on cross trainer to start then...

25 fast press ups

30 secs recovery

2 min fast skipping

30 secs recovery

3 minute fast run HR must be between 140 160 bpm

60 secs recovery

repeat for 3 sets then 60 secs recovery

15 minutes x-trainer HR between 140-160bpm

60 secs recovery

30 fast mountain climbers

30 secs recovery

2 minutes step-ups fast

30 secs recovery

2 minutes fast skipping

60 secs recovery

repeat for 3 sets then 60 secs recovery

10 minutes tread mill with 90 sec sprint 90 sec walk alternating and warm down for last minute.

Its a hard out cardio but burns shed loads of fat.

Its called Super high intensity training (or shit for short!)

What do you think?

I do a mixture of steady state cardio and HITT. Steady state cardio will be 1 hour on the treadmill at 10km/hr or a 10km road run 3 to 4 times a week and maybe 1 or 2 sessions of HITT training (depends on energy levels). HITT training will be on the treadmill with a 1:1 ratio (30sec on 30sec off) at 20km/hr for 20 minutes.

HITT training will be on the treadmill with a 1:1 ratio (30sec on 30sec off) at 20km/hr for 20 minutes.

:shock: 20kmph...your my hero.

I do exactly the same method as you but tried it at 18kmph today... far out it killed me. In a great way. :pfft:

Its called Super high intensity training (or shit for short!)

What do you think?

I would love to give this a go, sounds great, but wouldn't work too well at my gym considering how much of a challenge it is to get the equipment I want at the right time. I'd end up resting too long, defeating the point of HIIT. :doh:

my cardio day is usually:

warm up:

incline on 15,speed on 5 - 5min

incline on 5,speed on 10.5 - 15-20min

around this time i've reached some sort of euphoria, that i can continuously run w/o feeling outta breath.

hiit:

incline on 10,speed on 12 - 50sec,then rest - 1-2min (doing this 6 times and each time i'd drop the incline by 1,and up the speed by 1.so by the end the incline would be on 4,and the speed would be on 18,and the treadmill covered in sweat :pfft: :pfft:

hiit:

incline on 10,speed on 12 - 50sec,then rest - 1-2min (doing this 6 times and each time i'd drop the incline by 1,and up the speed by 1.so by the end the incline would be on 4,and the speed would be on 18,and the treadmill covered in sweat :pfft: :pfft:

Sounds like an awesome intense workout, although you must get some funny looks doing that. I get enough strange looks just going hardout and then resting repeatedly. The silly ignorant masses. :roll:

hiit:

Sounds like an awesome intense workout, although you must get some funny looks doing that. I get enough strange looks just going hardout and then resting repeatedly. The silly ignorant masses. :roll:

ha ha yeah,ive gotten used to the weird looks now. what annoys people i find is the thumping noise i make when sprinting on the treadmills upstairs.being 93kgs,its not easy to not make a s$*t load of noise running on treadmills.

ha ha yeah,ive gotten used to the weird looks now. what annoys people i find is the thumping noise i make when sprinting on the treadmills upstairs.being 93kgs,its not easy to not make a s$*t load of noise running on treadmills.

Lol thats not your fault though, and thats what Ipods are for, they can just get over it. :grin: Gyms aren't meant to be quiet places.

hiit:

Yep, know that feeling...I think in my case what annoys or amazes them the most is the sight of a 100kg guy at 15 or 16 kph even if only for 30s increments.

Most of you are describing good, useful interval training.

True HIIT is done to an intensity that you can simply not sustain for more than 20-30 seconds (I can get up to ~18kph). It's best done as sprints outside. If you want to do it on a treadmill, practice lifting yourself on and off the treadmill.

If you are after a truly vomit-inducing HIIT session, try high incline, high speed intervals on the tready.....

So what is doing high intensity runs (of say 1.2km x 2, 800m x 2, 400m x 3, 200m x 3) with 1-2mins rest in between for 45mins called? Is that just called interval training even if it is at a high intensity?

True HIIT is done to an intensity that you can simply not sustain for more than 20-30 seconds (I can get up to ~18kph). It's best done as sprints outside. If you want to do it on a treadmill, practice lifting yourself on and off the treadmill.

If you are after a truly vomit-inducing HIIT session, try high incline, high speed intervals on the tready.....

So what is doing high intensity runs (of say 1.2km x 2, 800m x 2, 400m x 3, 200m x 3) with 1-2mins rest in between for 45mins called? Is that just called interval training even if it is at a high intensity?

thats a lot of hiit,how many times do you do them in a week? ideally,15-20min of hiit is enough to kick up your metabolism for the day and get yuor heart rate up for fat loss.I used to what you are doing now,and found i was overtraining,and loosing muscle.

thats a lot of hiit,how many times do you do them in a week? ideally,15-20min of hiit is enough to kick up your metabolism for the day and get yuor heart rate up for fat loss.I used to what you are doing now,and found i was overtraining,and loosing muscle.

How ever many times it is in my Army P.T schedule :pfft:

We have P.T on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Each session is an hour.

An example of one week might be:

Monday: The HIIT I said above

Tuesday: SLD run and stretch

Thursday: Pool circuit (Laps and weights)

But then I might go for a run in the weekend too.

And I go to the gym and do weights about 4 days a week at night.

Those last ten minutes aren't that intense - immediately I'll drop it down to around 12. and from there on in its not really that intense at all - especially once you get under 10 kph.

18?? :shock: now thats intensity!

Ohhh i see, that makes sense. I find that after my 15 mins are up i am literally collapsing so i couldn't handle a warm down without probably flying off the treadmill onto the floor... not that i've ever done that or anything... :shifty:

If you're doing HIIT on a treadmill, aren't you constantly fiddling with the speed buttons? Or do you just jump off? (And, having jumped off, how the hell do you jump back on again?!)

Not a good idea jumping off after being on the treadmill. I find it feels like my vision is zooming in for a bit and it makes me wobbly :pfft:

I did my own little version of hitt training tonight on treadmill...Incline 10, speed 14kph for ten minutes 30sec on, 30sec rest..must admit by six minutes into it my rest perionds started hitting the 40sec mark and then by the 8min it was 50sec mark rest period but I still kept up with the 28-30 sec pace of running....I was stuffed afterwards....Im glad I warmed up on the spinbike for 20min first...

If you're doing HIIT on a treadmill, aren't you constantly fiddling with the speed buttons? Or do you just jump off? (And, having jumped off, how the hell do you jump back on again?!)

JUMP! :grin: I can't see how people can find it difficult. To get back on you just hold the sides and lower yourself onto it...

I did my own little version of hitt training tonight on treadmill...Incline 10, speed 14kph for ten minutes 30sec on, 30sec rest..must admit by six minutes into it my rest perionds started hitting the 40sec mark and then by the 8min it was 50sec mark rest period but I still kept up with the 28-30 sec pace of running....I was stuffed afterwards....Im glad I warmed up on the spinbike for 20min first...

Yeah i totally had that feeling tonight, my rest periods got bigger and bigger and i only made it to 13 mins. Fail. :(

I am constantly fiddling with the speed buttons!!! But it is kinda good because by the time you have finished sorting it out half your fast minute is gone. But then works the other way half your "rest" minute is gone too.

I quite like doing HIIT on the rower coz I just have to go faster and thats it.