BigKiwi vs Les Mills

BIGKIWI

Hi guys I as was kicked out of Les Mills last night. The manager Gerry Salmon asked me to leave because I had been in jail and did not want to be associated with me :) I was extremely disappointed and I am talking to the lawyer about suing them today. Discrimination is not called for in any section of society in New Zealand. I have sevrved my time in jail and cannot believe the nerve of the guy !!!!!!! :)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is ridiculous!

Does that mean that they are now going to go through every current member and staff and do police checks of their pasts for convictions/drug use etc.

I think not! That would be unethical and illegal descrimination.

I think this guy might have screwed up right royally and should have known better.

I wonder if he ever has stopped to think about how many of his staff and members have broken the law e.g DIC, possession, assault etc. I can guarentee that there would be an extensive list. Especially many of those into the weekend party scene.

Also "why take your money in the first place and then kick you out?" As the manager, he should be aware of who is signing up and if convictions of any kind are a barrier to this, then everyone with priors should be informed of this and barred universally, not just you because you don't fit the "norm" that they may be looking for.

The only problem is that they would loose a lot of members, it seems that some gyms these days just want size 8 sports model girls and 70kg GQ poster boys as there clients and dont want to cater for the masses, where in fact without bodybuilding and weightlifting, gym chains like these would probably not exist as bodybuilders (Arnie/Stallone etc) popularised gym based fitness and many of these gyms were started by weightlifters!

I hope you got his name and they have camera's in there mate. That is absolute bullshit and descrimination. You have done your time and and paid the price so now your another member of society like every other kiwi.

If the legal system doesnt sort this shit out meet the staff member in the carpark after he finishes work for a one-on-one "chat" :twisted:

Or maybe with the media contacts you may now have take this public, put in on the news, in the papers, radio and get this place shut down. Im sure with bad media and blatent descrimination members will leave in droves. Motivation is a powerful driver.

I would have guesses having you at a gym would get people talking and attract attention which IMO is good for the business, so the owner will rather allow a 90Lbs newbie there than having a few hundred pound guy walking around and inspire people....Doesn't make any sense.

i would right a letter to Les himself or whoever runs/owns it these days outlining what happened and how you feel about it. After all whats dones done your there to train nothing else. You might find if you goto the top the ripple effect wiill come into play and you be welcomed back and the manager we feel like a tosser being reprimanded by his superiors...

I can see from your post youd be the kinda person my gym would welcome friendly and willing to share advice whilst your size would be inspirational to other members. I would have thought it would be win win for LM??

u should have crushed him lol

hhahaahahah :):) thaks small I am trying not to stay in media limelight as it does make life harder. I do really find it annoying though to be singled out. As one ofthe other memebers said I wonder if everyone with convictions is targeted or just me :)

That certainly is very harsh, BK - and I'm surprised that Gerry would do that. Not that I doubt at all what you say happened - just that Gerry has always been the most enthusiastic and generous sponsor of the bodybuilding shows I have run in Wellington. They also have some top male and female bodybuilders working there (e.g. Joe Ulberg, Mish McCormack) so they are definitely not anti-bodybuilding.

I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt they can get away with asking you to leave due to a criminal conviction - either legally or morally it is not right.

That certainly is very harsh, BK - and I'm surprised that Gerry would do that. Not that I doubt at all what you say happened - just that Gerry has always been and most enthusiastic and generous sponsor of the bodybuilding shows I have run in Wellington. They also have some top male and female bodybuilders working there (e.g. Joe Ulberg, Mish McCormack) so they are definitely not anti-bodybuilding.

I'm not a lawyer, but I doubt they can get away with asking you to leave due to a criminal conviction - either legally or morally it is not right.

Of course he's a nice guy. That's what people said about another Gym owner we know.

:clap: Go hard bigkiwi, get some justice!

I didn't expect it as I had trained there the other day with no problems. I said to him are you disrciminating against me he "said yes if thats they way you want to take it". I was lucky Kyle was there tohear evrything he said as I don't think most people would have believed it :) Next it may be your race, your age, disabilities, how ugly you are ..... :) well who knows :)

I hope you do pursue this, BK - it would be very interesting to find out exactly how far a gym owner can go to exclude a member. I've heard of other situations (for all sorts of different reasons) where this has happened, but I don't know of anyone who has taken up a full challenge against it.

I can understand pubs and bars being able to exclude people for no specific reason, but if you're a paying member and have signed a contract, then that is far more significant in favour of the member. Perhaps there is something in the Les Mills contract to say you're membership can be terminated if your muscles get too big? :wink:

Hi guys I as was kicked out of Les Mills last night. The manager Gerry Salmon asked me to leave because I had been in jail and did not want to be associated with me :)

Outrageous,the guy must be in another world.

If that happened to me ........I'd turn green :grin:

It is interesting one. I studied alot of business law when inside and this just struck me as one of those things I shouldn't just sit down for. Hey you have to expect some things happening as I am now have a record. But to people who know me I have always tried tobe a friendly, helpful person to all rather than a pain. My momma always taught me treat others the way you want to be treated and I have always done my best to live by this :))