post workout nutrition

jerume

i know that post workout nutrition is the most important time too supply your body with the nutritents it needs for muscle growth,and i was wondering what u have found too be a good post workout stack and what u think of myn?n e hints would be much appreciated!!!i take horleys carbo cola immedietly after my workout for the 50grams of suger too boost my sugar levels,then 30 minutes later i take 30-40grams of whey protein with sun latte low fat milk with 5grams of glutamine

That's pretty much what I do.

Immediately post-workout I'll have a sugary drink (usually cordial, with extra glucose). Then when I get home 15-20mins later I'll have a protein shake - 45g whey protein isolate, and I'll add a little bit more glucose.

Here's the theory behind it (I don't know whether it's true or not, but it made sense to me, so I follow it religiously :lol: )...

After a workout, your body is in "energy deficit", and its first priority is to refuel. If you have protein immediately after a workout, there's a chance your body will try to convert that into energy... which obviously is not what you what - the protein is supposed to build muscle. By having the sugar first, then protein later, you ensure that the body can top up its energy stores without using the protein. The second lot of glucose is a backstop in case the first lot wasn't quite enough. It also helps protein uptake.

I just mix my protein in water, since the casein in milk can slow absorption.

Would the same apply for women? I get paranoid about sugar cos Ive found that cutting sugar out really tightened my midsection. I usually just have a protein shake after a workout but maybe I need to do the glucose refuel thing first yeah?

Yup - should do... essentially we all work the same way. Have a play with it, and see what you think.

I know that some people prefer to have a complex carb source post-workout because they feel they put on fat if they have sugar.

However, the other advantage of simple carbs that I sort of glossed over before is that a sudden rise in blood sugar levels causes an insulin spike. This has its pros and cons, but post-workout an increase in insulin helps the protein enter the muscle.

I've nearly finished doing an article which hopefully explains how all this stuff works - in simple English. I have to admit, though, it's been "nearly finished" for some time now... But I promise I'll have it up "soon". :pfft:

cool i will have to try that out. thanx for explaining the benefits of an insulin spike, post workout - its helpful to understand why/how something works, i appreciate it.

that article sounds great, im looking forward to reading it!

• 1 month later...

Dear Anabolically Challenged Gym Rat,

I was wondering how your article on nutrition was coming along? You know, the one in simple English? I am MOST eager to read it cos a lot of stuff on the net is pretty complex and hard to remember.

Cant wait for your one!

Man that is a primo article! VERY easy to follow and it covers all the important stuff. I think it is extremely well written, enjoyable to read and real easy to understand.

(Oh and since my query re post workout insulin spikes, Ive been putting this into practice and have noticed fuller and harder muscles. Im now a believer!) :clap:

Full credit on your article!

• 6 months later...

Post-workout shake:

1) Dextrose/Maltodextrin.

2) Whey protein.

3) Creatine*

4) Possibly some sort of leucine supplementation.* Pays to check leucine content in your whey protein.

* = Not mandatory, although beneficial.

30-40 minutes later....

Post-workout meal:

1) Clean source of protein with Essential AAs'.

2) Med/Low G.I. carbohydrate source.

Keep fat to a minimum during Post-workout shake and meal.

Post-workout shake:

1) Dextrose/Maltodextrin.

2) Whey protein.

3) Creatine*

4) Possibly some sort of leucine supplementation.* Pays to check leucine content in your whey protein.

* = Not mandatory, although beneficial.

30-40 minutes later....

Post-workout meal:

1) Clean source of protein with Essential AAs'.

2) Med/Low G.I. carbohydrate source.

Keep fat to a minimum during Post-workout shake and meal.

Now that I think about it - A During-Workout shake will have its benefit also. If this was to be implimented, time of ingestion and quantity of AA's/CHO needs to be adjusted accordingly.

guys, make sure to spoon the creatine directly into your mouth, then swallow with the PWO (creatine can become unstable in water leading to low absorption.)

I dont see the point, regardless of weither you make your PWO shake then add the creatine and gulp it down, or put the creatine in your mouth and then drink the PWO shake, its all doing to end up in your gut after about 10 seconds :? It takes a while longer than thatfor the creatine to start converting.

if you mix the creatine beforehand in water, it can make the creatine molecules unstable before they go into your stomach, so theyre not as readily absorbed (when u chug it down with the shake, its not in contact for very long, and once it hits your stomach, its digesting, so it doesnt matter.)

but ill look into it further :) (i got the info off various strength coach sites and one of pavels books.)

I think thats being a bit pedantic mate, even if you add the creatine to the water first then add the rest of your PWO goodies its still only going to take 30 odd seconds to mix it all up and chug it down.

But to each their own i guess :grin:

if you mix the creatine beforehand in water, it can make the creatine molecules unstable before they go into your stomach, so theyre not as readily absorbed (when u chug it down with the shake, its not in contact for very long, and once it hits your stomach, its digesting, so it doesnt matter.)

That's the theory behind the NFS Kre-Alkalyn buffered creatine. They figure that just after you add creatine to a liquid, the majority of it rapidly converted over to creatinine. Only a tiny bit of what is in the drink is still useable creatine.

Not sure how true all that is but I do like the product.

I thought creatine had a half-life of an hour or so? I may be wrong, though. If anyone can find the actual figure, I'd love to know...

As far as spooning it straight into the mouth goes, I suspect that came about because some creatine is hard to mix in water without it forming little rocks in the bottom of your drink bottle. :wink:

do you guys take your creatine with some form of glucose eg like with raro or something?

On training days, I take my creatine with my PWO shake, which is full of carbs including glucose.

On my off days I tend to have it with a meal that contains carbs but I don't deliberately have it with extra sugar, I try to avoid insulin spikes if I can.