'Bulking up' linked to heart disease risk in athletes

Pseudonym

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story ... d=10516209

5:00AM Saturday June 14, 2008

'Bulking up' linked to heart disease risk in athletes

"Bulking up" by athletes playing sports such as American football may lead to an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, study findings suggest.

"Our work demonstrates a higher prevalence of metabolic syndrome, an established cardiovascular risk factor, among retired National Football League (NFL) linemen," said Dr Marc Miller of Mount Sinai Medical Centre in New York. Football linemen are position players commonly of large body size.

A clustering of heart disease and diabetes risk factors including high blood pressure, low levels of "good" cholesterol, high levels of blood lipids (fats), and elevated blood sugar and body weight make up the metabolic syndrome.

When Miller and colleagues compared metabolic syndrome rates among 510 retired NFL players, they found that nearly 60 per cent of linemen had metabolic syndrome, compared with 30 per cent of those from other positions.

Moreover, more than 85 per cent of the linemen were obese, as opposed to half of the non-linemen, the researchers report in The American Journal of Cardiology.

Between February 2004 and June 2006, Miller and colleagues assessed 164 linemen and 346 non-linemen who, at the time, were 54 years old on average. Overall, they had been NFL players for about six years and had been retired for about 25 years.

Said Miller: "Student athletes need to be educated about the potential long-term health consequences of 'bulking up' and should be discouraged from achieving unhealthy body weights,"

- REUTERS

Bullshit article. No relavince to BB'ing. We manage our diets, they eat what is put in front of them.

I disagree. You and I might eat nice clean diets, but I've seen lots of bodybuilders run a "dirty bulk" in the hope that somewhere under the fat will be an increased amount of muscle. People from the other weightlifting sports often seem unconcerned about their body fat levels, too.

id agree with pseudonym.

there are alot of bodybuilders who eat alot of unhealthy foods (fast food, fried foods... etc) then for the 10 sometimes less before the show cut them all out completley. if this is the point pseudonyms making then i would have thought it would be obvious thats not the healthiest way.

as for the article not relating to bodybuilding, ok its based on the NFL but it doesnt take much effort thinking wise to see how it would relate to bodybuilding and alot of other sports for that matter if u got read it with an open mind.

oh and soaring swine, just becasue u exericise and eat all that food isnt gonna make u much healthier, u are just gonna look healthier

The problem isn't with the bulking up for sport, it's the continued eating habit with no exercise

i assumed when he said continued eating habits he meant unhealthy choices of foods commonly used for bulking up i.e fast food etc.

i assumed this because thats wat the thread is based around by the article pseudonym posted

In the article I believe they are talking about the diets given to the 300lb+ defenders and blockers - who cary a LOT of fat generaly as the more weight the better in some positions. I doubt there diet is anything like a bodybuilders - even in the off season.

It's not what were bulking up to, its how were bulking. :lol:

I think you would find that most ex bodybuilders are unlikely to be obese also. The diet of a NFL player would be higher in calories to sustain energy over long training periods and to maintain the amount of mass they hold wouldn't it? Most educted BB'ers use healthy fats in conjunction with low GI carbs to add in calories - Have you seen the drums of Gatorade on the side of the field? :shock:

I lose brain cells every time I click on this thread.

The article proves absolutely nothing, then people start trying to compare NFL athletes from the 70's to bodybuilders and those "power lifters".

I'm gonna go do something more edifying, like walk over broken glass.

Plus the average lineman in the NFL would have a high BMI then the average bodybuilder would have a low BMI.

Incorrect - BMI doesn't distiguish body composition. My BMI is 36 which is obese but only 14% body fat at 114kg ....

but i'm low risk CV disease because I do regular cardio and exercise 6 days. another recommendation is to keep a waist line below 90cm for a male and 75cm for a female.

not trying to pick a fight here. but the threads and this whole site arent here for fun. it can be enjoyed but they r here primarily so ppl can come join an online community of body builders and people interested in it and talk and learn about it.. if u want fun go play on bebo.