NZFBB NZ National Champs

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the screwiest decisions iv'e ever seen! there was one girl who was a stand out winner! we had her picked for the overall and thought she could actually go overseas without embarrassing NZ like Jakie has done but she came in second behind a very average girl. WTF?

We have this terrible "tall poppy" habit in NZ. Anyone that does well gets given a hard time. Jackie went and competed in the highest level of competition overseas, that should be commended, regardless of where she placed. Hell, I'd give anything just to be considered good enough to step on an international stage.

And though I have never worked out how NZFBB judge figure (give me NABBA rules anyday... much clearer) I think it is unfair to take Kat's win away from her by saying Rachelle should have won. We didn't judge and therefore can't make the decision.

Well done to all the athletes that competed at the NZFBB nationals and good luck to all those preparing for NABBA Nationals on the 25th October. :D

come on we all have eyes! you don't have to be a judge to see a stand out and I totally agree with the tall poppy thing but I would say it's Raechelle who has suffered from it not jakie, I can appreciate Jakie's physique for what it is but it is totally inapropriate for pro figure, those girls all look like Raechelle, she would do very well over there but cant get there, we need to bring our judging in line with the rest of the world or we will continue to send ugly women to compete in a class that specifies beauty as part of the judging criteria.

I think with a few more years of muscle density on her, Rachelle might do ok in IFBB figure. Those girls, Jenny, Gina, Valerie and alike though "pretty" and well presented have a great deal of muscle density and symmetry. It's not just a "pretty, boobs and hair" show.

I think it was NZ Figure Pro Stevie Lazenby who once said girls need to have muscle to compete figure and should not spend all their time worrying about hair, nails and makeup, but more about having the muscle density and structure to win the class - the "pretty" bits, though important are secondary to the muscle.

But as I said, I've never got the New Zealand NZFBB figure judging criteria, finding it varies region to region, region to nationals etc. I do like the look of the new WNBF Miss Fit Body class. Maybe another option for figure ladies?

Personally I think the Novice Figure Tall winner (Kat Bunting) was the appropriate choice, and my wife was in the same class and didn't place so don't even think I have some form of bias in the subject.

Raechelle Chase is absolutely stunning but I can't help think she looks more like a swimsuit model than a figure girl, even I find it hard to be subjective and remove her "enhancements" from the equation.

We all know the saying "Those who can't do teach", I think it is also true about those who have nothing constructive to say.

For the record I competed too but didn't place, the decision was justified and I have nothing but praise and admiration for those who stood alongside me and even those who kicked my butt :clap:

I don't agree with every choice the judges made but I can see the merits in those they did pick, and in those they didn't.

Couldn't help but make a post at last here as I've competed in many international shows, including the US and this was the oddest decision I've seen for some time in what seemed to be a clear cut case IMO :nod: How does NZ hope to make any impact on the international scene when this happens..not only did RC have better muscularity, anyone with eyes can see that in termws of overall structure, she also seems to fit the "model" look that womens figure should be aimed towards and when you look at the US competitions she (RC) would do very well I would think in these. What on earth was going on in the judges minds that night :roll:

One of the screwiest decisions iv'e ever seen! there was one girl who was a stand out winner! we had her picked for the overall and thought she could actually go overseas without embarrassing NZ like Jakie has done but she came in second behind a very average girl. WTF?

Listen man, anyone who has reached the attainment of representing us overseas has put in a hell of a lot of hard yards. I saw Jackie a number of times training in the gym and know what dedication that girl put into it. She was extremely lean and who the hell knows what the judges are looking for on the day mate. You got something against the girl? You ever been up there on the BIG stage? No Right?

Wow Awesome show!. There is hope for Men in 70kgs to win Mr NZ!. This is what I dont understand. How can the little guy, beat the big boys??? Must have been very close between Grant & Daniel. But then again I just think the judging is political & screwed. To the likes of Sanjee & Grant, apply for your procard & get the F@?&% out of here. NZFBB have nothing!!!!

As for you Jacqui, you are not an embarassment but a role model. To all the athletes that have reached this high standard of Pro status..Keep up the good work. :nod: :clap:

I you have a good look at the photos Paul you will see that Daniel won because he was the best in the lineup.

Daniel is not just a good smaller competitor, he is a threat to any guy on stage no matter how big they are and he proved that once and for all on saturday.

Well 2guns isn't he going to the worlds? We cant just send any willy nilly person over. I think Daniels condition was impeccable, but lets look at the international level. Where did he place at the elite pro show? (judged by inter judges). Well in perspective he will make a great amateur athlete, hands down! :clap: .

Listen man, anyone who has reached the attainment of representing us overseas has put in a hell of a lot of hard yards. I saw Jackie a number of times training in the gym and know what dedication that girl put into it. She was extremely lean and who the hell knows what the judges are looking for on the day mate. You got something against the girl? You ever been up there on the BIG stage? No Right?

I have been on the international stage many times hence the name OLD SCHOOL and I am not saying that Jakie isn't a great athlete or doesn't work hard I don't know her but I am sure she must work very hard to look like that. what I am saying is that she is not attractive enough for pro figure and without an "extreme make" over will continue to get her ass kicked by girls who look like Raechelle.

exactly right, I have seen Jackie make enormous gains in muscle - thanks to chemist ElMoe's work there I understand! ahaha but it ain't gonna cut it internationally ever IMO and if Nz is to have any credibility the NZFBB must judge along same lines or our girls have no choice (oh and boys too!).

Not sure if it is appropriate for me to coment, but on the two decisions that have been a bone of contention on some of the previous posts.

And my comments are on how we as judges look at it each class and not nessicarly how i placed it on Sat. (ie not telling you who i placed where)

Roachelle VS Kat in tall novice fig

Roachelle definatly has some massive potental but in the structural round she did not show her poptental, she did not stand as well as she could have which means she is not showing off what she may have to her best, she was just to relaxed.

Kat on the other hand really got her back out showed her width and posed hard.

In the second (complsory) round Roachelle definatly picked up her game. but the two rounds are judged sepratly and the athletes get a mark for each round.

Dan vs Grant WOW. it gets to the point when you have two great athletes up on stage you have to look for the weak points.

Dan has very few or glaring weak points. Grant has made some great improvement on has gluts/hams and calves in the last few years but from the rear next to Dans legs and glutes in showed that grant needs more work there. and Dans Condition was better than grants.

GRANT WILLL BE MR NZ in the future i have NO DOUBTS but sat wasn't his night. and he WILL end up an IFBB PRO the guy has hugh potental. SO HEAD UP Grant and keep working hard

Thanks for the comment MikeD but i was there too and still seems a bad decision to me. Raechelle had far better glutes, abdominals and back structure and I didn't think her posing was that bad. Raechelle has made astounding progress over the last 12 months and she is by far the "best" to represent NZ internationally with the right look but instead we have someone who will not place - mark my words. I think the judges need to look internationally when looking at who is selected or there is the risk we lose the very girls who could take the sport further.