Greatest NZ Bodybuilder Ever?

Aw shucks! You are very kind. Thank you.

Here's a small selection of pics from back in the day (we didn't have digital cameras back then so I don't have many).

To all my friends who kicked my ass along the way (Ewan Greig, Rodney Meiklejohn, Phil Chaney, Ray Johns (RIP), Brook Romanos, Paul Cale, Vaughn Paterson, Garth McManaway) - thank you for the memories.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stephengeof ... ingPhotos#

Cheers

Stephen

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw shucks! You are very kind. Thank you.

Here's a small selection of pics from back in the day (we didn't have digital cameras back then so I don't have many).

To all my friends who kicked my ass along the way (Ewan Greig, Rodney Meiklejohn, Phil Chaney, Ray Johns (RIP), Brook Romanos, Paul Cale, Vaughn Paterson, Garth McManaway) - thank you for the memories.

http://picasaweb.google.com/stephengeof ... ingPhotos#

Cheers

Stephen

Some names from the past there Steve including the top men from Dunedin! :nod:

Hey Steve, just for clarification in the video you state a 410 Deadlift - we had a giggle and guessed it was either a 410 partial dead from the rack or a mistyped 310 deadlift?

The race is still on for the 400 DL in the Oceania region with Boyer (370), Pomana (367), Hansen (360) etc

Nate

What about STEVE LYNCH,GARTH McMANAWAY & STEVE TRUNBULL.these guys blew me away when i was i kid in the crowd & always were happy to help any up & comming BB like myself.

Garth probably had the best potential of any NZ BBer, unfortunately it was unrealised. A touring US Pro mentioned to another top NZ BBer that Garth had what it took genetically (which is a one in a million type thing) to be a top pro.

I can wholeheartedly agree that Garth had and still has some of the best potential ever, after recently and finally getting Garth back into the gym after a 10year plus lay off, he does have awesome genetics, After only 4 - 6 months training together he had put on 20kg, Its as if blowing up a balloon for the 2nd time, it is just so much easier. Unfortunately he just recently broke his collar bone in an accident, but I do believe and so does he now that he will be back training soon, talk about an inspiration.

What a great response this thread has had! Interesting reading what people have put up on here. All phenomenal guys, I tend to agree that Garth stopped competing when he was only in his early 20's and that guy was a freakshow! Plus you really had to see him train to appreciate what he could do. Perfect form and just ridiculous weights! He was something to watch. Lynch was always one for form as well. I remember seeing

I personally think Jo Ullberg at his peak was absolutely amazing, Hamish Mckenzie and Kevin O'Grady.

But for sure the best ever is Sonny Schmidt. Of the boys that is.

If we accept that Sonny was a NZer you are dead right! :nod:

Someone clarify this and this thread can be put to bed!!! :grin:

The remaining 4 in a top 5 line up might be a bit more subjective!

If we accept that Sonny was a NZer you are dead right! :nod:

Someone clarify this and this thread can be put to bed!!! :grin:

The remaining 4 in a top 5 line up might be a bit more subjective!

Sonny was the best Samoan bodybuilder there ever was.

• 1 month later...