Greatest NZ Bodybuilder Ever?

Darryn Onekawa

Like many of the other names on here Darren is a good bodybuilder, but like the majority nowhere near the "Greatest NZ Bodybuilder Ever". That said he's got the potential to be!

Would be good to see a top 5 or so open mens list that are really in contention should such an award ever be given.

I'd say Rhys, Smith, O'Grady, Johns would have to feature. (I'm leaving Moe & Schmidt out as probably not really NZ athletes???).

Davies, Rainbow would also be up there for sure. Then the Mikes must figure?

If we're talking NABBA - Brooks, Thin, Jensen etc

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darryn Onekawa

Like many of the other names on here Darren is a good bodybuilder, but like the majority nowhere near the "Greatest NZ Bodybuilder Ever". That said he's got the potential to be!

Would be good to see a top 5 or so open mens list that are really in contention should such an award ever be given.

I'd say Rhys, Smith, O'Grady, Johns would have to feature. (I'm leaving Moe & Schmidt out as probably not really NZ athletes???).

Count this Mike out of a Top 5, maybe a top 10 if I was a lot bigger.

My List:

BJ, Warren, Kevin O'Grady, Joe Ulberg, either Steve Turnbull or Don Stedman.

What these guys have done in and for NZ bodybuilding....I'm not fit to carry their gym bag.

Darryn Onekawa

yea hes actually my cousin mate :pfft: thought id throw him out there for a bit of family connection haha

My good friend Garth McManaway kindly drew my attention to this post today.

I would never presume to be the subject of this thread (there are far more deserving people than me) - but sincere thanks to those of you who mentioned me. I am flattered to be remembered.

Here's some old video footage from back in the day

Thanks for watching

Cheers

Stephen

http://www.facebook.com/stephen.lynch?v ... 5677504408

I would never presume to be the subject of this thread (there are far more deserving people than me) - but thank you for the mention. It's nice to be remembered.

Thanks for watching

Cheers

Stephen

Hi Steve,

Cant view that at work but will look at later.

How about some pics from your Strongman outing in Napier back in the day!! :grin: Have to say that was one of my memories as a young fella and probably got me interested in the whole SM thing!

Nate

Hi Steve,

Cant view that at work but will look at later.

How about some pics from your Strongman outing in Napier back in the day!! Have to say that was one of my memories as a young fella and probably got me interested in the whole SM thing!

Nate

Was that the one held up at the marine parade? I think Shannon Barwood (sp) did it to

I would never presume to be the subject of this thread (there are far more deserving people than me) - but sincere thanks to those of you who mentioned me. I am flattered to be remembered.

Thanks for watching

Cheers

Stephen

Not to mention - Silver medalist in the Arm Wrestling at the 1988 Police Olympics in Brisbane eh Steve.

I was at the show when you won in 1993, you were INSANE, you and Rainbow killed it on that day.

Here is the 1993 NZ Strongest man contest video.

Did it for a lark 6 months before the Mr NZ BB show (really sensible huh?).

My back has never been the same since! Great fun though :)

http://www.facebook.com/stephen.lynch?v ... 0724909408

Lynch gets my vote as number one, simply 'cos hes probably one of the only BBers that have manned up & fronted at a SM Comp!!! :grin:

Seriously though Steve that video was magic - a real blast from the past! I was in the crowd both days as a wide eyed 18 year old! (Pretty crazy that Shannon B was competing at 18 years old!!!)

Awesome!

Steve Lynch has by far the best set of wheels ever to come out of NZ.The calf quad,hamy ballance was up with the best pro,s at the time. :nod: he did.they were so freaky in real life.easy in my top 3 NZ bodybuilder ever.Steve had time for every one like Garth witch in my eye makes them true champs.....