Your fav protein bar?

Stef

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horley's Carb Less Banana Caramel. Tastes like something that should be really bad for you!! There is also a EAS (Myoplex, I think) Cookies n Cream, Apple & Cinnamon, Double Chocolate and something or other cream pie? The EAS are too high in carbs though!

Gee, from that you'd think I'm a real protein bar fan??!! :oops:

Horley's Carb Less Banana Caramel. Tastes like something that should be really bad for you!! There is also a EAS (Myoplex, I think) Cookies n Cream, Apple & Cinnamon, Double Chocolate and something or other cream pie? The EAS are too high in carbs though!

The EAS Myoplex Carb Control Bars have pretty much the same amount of carbs as the Horleys Carb less and 6g more protein:

EAS Myoplex Carb Control Cookies and Cream -

Total Carbs.......26g

- 2g Sugar,

- 4g Fibre,

- 18g Sugar Alcohol & Modified Carbs [Maltitol, Glycerine]

Protein.............25g

Fat....................8g

Calories...........260

Horleys Carb Less Banana -

Carbs Listed on Label...4.5g (4.1g Sugar)

Actual Total Carbs.....24.8 g

- 4.1g Sugar,

- 6.8g Fibre (of which 6.5g is Polydextrose),

- 13.5g Sugar Alcohol & Modified Carbs [Maltitol, Glycerine]

Protein...........18.4g

Fat..................3.4g

Calories............183

Horleys just make there bar look low carb by not including sugar alcohols, modified carbs and fibre with the carbohydrate total on their label.

These are all technically carbohydrates, and while some Sugar alcohols, Mannitol and Erythritol, may have little to no effect on elevating blood sugar, Maltitol has a reasonable GI of 37 (and can be as high as 53 depending on the type of Maltitol used) and they still contain calories at 2.7 cals per gram. Unless you're on a low carb diet and in a carb depleted state they will still be utilised in much the same way as normal carbohydrates.

Glycerine or glycerol, more commonly found in soaps and moisturisers, has very little effect on blood sugar yet it still a carbohydrate.

You can do a similar thing with the Balance Protein Max bars:

Carbs Listed on label....15.9g

Actual Total Carbs.....38.5g

- 9.9g Sugar,

- 22.6g Fibre (of which 21.8g is Polydextrose),

- ?g Modified Carbs [Glycerine] Amount not listed but in ingredients list

Protein...........33.6g

Fat..................5.9g

Calories............267

- if you wonder why you get digestive issues with the Protein Max it's because of the 22 grams of fibre - mostly from Polydextrose. To put that into context: you would need to eat 16 (SIXTEEN) Weetbix Biscuits to get the same amount of fibre as one Protein Max bar.

Polydextrose is partially derived from glucose, but has been altered so the body does not metabolize it. This is good for low carb diets and it is also low calorie at 1 calorie per gram, and has no effect on glycemic index. However due to it being a dietary fibre you just have to make sure you don't eat too much of it.

I just ate an Aussie Bodies Protein Delite double choc flavour and its fucking disgusting!!!

EXACTLY!! I know several people who have tried them and, like me, think they are AWEFUL! I guess someone likes them or they wouldn't be selling them. :?

One bar that I buy regularly which is really nice with a coffee is another of the HPLC bars - the Caramel Rough variety. It's high in protein and not being covered in chocolate at least doesn't make me feel like I'm "cheating"! :)

• 2 weeks later...
The Musashi P40 Protein Bar in Strawberry flovor is awesum...

Also the Musashi Protein Slice in fruit and nut flavor, but they are hard to come across these days....

THat sounds like one of my faves, the Whittakers peanut and chocolate flavour! [Oops, that's not protein, right :P ]

So what protein bar has the lowest total carb/sugar amount that is on the market? That would be useful to know.

ie when you cut through all the subtle rewording on the label of the sugars and various forms that lie within the bar.

Is it the HPLC one?

My one says:

Carb total: 9.5g

Sugars: 8.2 (is that wihtin the above or in addition to it?)

Fibre: 14.4 (I assume nothing there counts as a sugar/carb?)

Glycerine: 9.0 (I assume that is counted as a carb of sorts?...)

Ignor the amount per 100grams etc - as in a practicable sense - I guess like a lot of people I just eat the whole bar (irrespective of size).

So whoever the experts are in decifering these things ....your comments would be welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...