Nationals in October - comp number 2

Mossley

Well lunch, has already changed slightly but I'm hoping it's for the better. I found a new low carb protein bar that was cheap and really nice!

So for lunch I've just had soup and one of these protein bars instead of the bread and apple. I feel full which I'm sure will last longer than the bread and apple would have.

The new discovery is Doctor's Carb Rite Bars

Calories - 190 (from fat - 35)

Total fat - 4g

Sat - 2g

Carbs - 2.5g

Protein - 21g

Sodium - 140mg

They don't have any artificial sweetners and they also have no sugar. That makes them sound tasteless but I've just had the Chocolate, Marshmallow and Graham Cracker flavoured one and I only ate half as it cured the sweet craving!

A wee bit of a set back last night but hopefully won't take too long to recover!

When I first started training for the comp 10 months ago, I got a bit excited and probably lifted a bit more than I should have doing shoulder press (15kg dumbell). The weight itself wasn't a problem but when I got the shakes and my wrist got off balance in the top half of the movement, my shoulder quicly popped out of the joint but just as quickly popped back in once the weight was removed (after a few bad words had been yelled!). Anyway I never saw a doctor about it, I just let it rest for a while and then changed that exercise to the Smith Machine so it wouldn't happen again.

As it happens I wanted to find an exercise to target my rear delts and we had been training using the Reverse Pec Deck, but I was told that this was by far inferior to using plain old dumbells. So I got advice from one of the "floor walkers" that works at the gym and he set me up with the proper form for this exercise. The first time I tried it I did feel a bit of tightness in one shoulder (almost like a pulling sensation on the muscle) but it wasn't bad and didn't hurt after so I ignored it (bad move!lesson learnt). Last night when I went to do this same exercise the pain was a lot more persistent so I went back and saw the same floor walker who immediately found the cause. It turns out that I must have damaged the rotator cuff last year and now it's so tight I can't do the full movement with that exercise. He also found the cause to why my shoulder blade wings out (a huge problem with my lat spread pose) which was also caused by this same injury.

Anyway to cut a hugely long story short, does anyone know of another exercise taht will target the rear delt without causing too much pain in the shoulder joint? I'm going to rest it up for a while (still have 20 wks til comp), but I have a feeling it may affect my chest/tricep and back training aswell.

After all that, here is todays plan.......

5.30am

45 mins on spin bike (the sweat was pouring, was a huge effort)

8.00am

30g Oats, protein powder and cinnamon

10.30am

150 low fat yoghurt, half serve protein and 8 almonds

1.00pm

Sandwich with vogels bread, lamb, lettuce, red onion etc

Apple

3.30pm

2 x rice cakes with 100g tuna (the light flavoured stuff for a wee change)

6.00pm

CHEST and TRICEPS (shoulder permitting - new motto, if it hurts, stop!)

7.00pm

Scotch egg (made with wild pork mince) and kumara chips

8.00pm

WW Hot choc

Apple or Banana

I won't add in any weights for my workouts tonight as I really don't know how much I will be lifting.

sorry to hear about your injury I try to do reverse flys as a bit of a change and side lateral raises but these will still hurt your shoulder /i would imagine. Try going through a number of different delt excercises to see whaich is best, but just go light.

Okay, I didn't do Chest and Triceps yesterday, I went for Legs instead just to give my shoulder more time.

It feels heaps better today, enough to do some strengthing exercises on it anyway.

So the plan.......

5.30am

45 mins spin bike

8.00am

30g Oats, protein powder

10.30am

150g low fat yoghurt with 8 almonds and half serve protein

1.00pm

Trim cappuccino (have a meeting with a client so this may change yet)

2.00pm

150g venison mince with mixed veges

Apple

4.30pm

Banana and protein shake

6.00pm

CHEST AND TRICEPS

7.00pm

Omelette with veges on a slice of vogels bread

8.00pm

WW Hot Choc

WW Mousse with protein powder

I'll record the weights for my leg workout last night, and I'll record the Chest and Tricep ones tomorrow as I won't be able to go as heavy as usual at the moment.

QUADS

Walking Lunges

17.5kg - 20

20kg - 20 x 2

Leg Extension

30kg - 15

32.5kg - 12

35kg - 10

37.5kg - 8

Seated Leg Press (usually do lying leg press and find it heaps better but this was taken last night)

46 - 15(think it's kgs, seems very light compared to lying leg press though but felt just as tough)

56kg - 12

66kg - 10

76kg - 10

HAMSTRINGS

Hamstring Curl

25kg - 15

27.5kg - 12

30kg - 10

32.5kg - 8

Swissball Curl

BW - 15 x 3 sets

Couldn't do Deadlift as the weight of holding the bar was a bit much for the shoulder.

Well the eating did change slightly yesterday and I was a bit unprepared. I will keep a protein bar in my car and at work for those times where I can't stick to my plan.

I had a small scone instead of yoghurt and protein but other than that, all was well.

I also did Chest and Triceps and left out Bench Press and Bench dips. My shoulder feels okay today so I'm glad I didn't over do it even though my workout felt really light. I do have a bit of soreness in both chest and triceps today so I don't feel like I totally missed out.

Todays plan......

5.30am

30 mins stepper

15mins incline walk on treadmill

9.00am (got to work late so breakfast ended up being late!)

30g oats with protein powder and cinnamon

11.30am

150g low fat yoghurt with half serve protein and 8 almonds

1.00pm

CALVES and ABS

2.00pm

Chicken Soup with pita bread

2 x apricots

4.30pm

100g tuna (forgot my rice cakes!)

6.30pm

Subway (low carb wrap)

(Going to see Amityville Horror so will be eating out)

7.30pm

Protein bar

9.30pm

Protein shake (if I'm hungry anyway)

CHEST workout

Incline Press

10kg - 15

12.5kg - 12

12.5kg - 12

10kg - 15

Incline Flies (stayed light just in case)

6kg - 15 x 3 sets

Pec Deck

30kg - 15

35kg - 12

40kg - 10

TRICEPS workout

Rope Pulldown

30kg - 15

35kg - 12

40kg - 10

Rope Pullover

30kg - 15

35kg - 12

40kg - 12

Kickbacks

5kg - 12 x 4 sets

Yay, after the outage I'm able to get my post up for today. I don't tend to post on weekends, generally because I only do cardio and also becuase I don't have the time usually.

So here is today's entry

Weight = 58.0kg - this did get up to 58.7kg but seems to have settled into the new diet, so currently 5kgs heavier than comp weight and happy with this.

5.30am

30mins stepper

20mins crosstrainer

8.00am

30g oats, protein powder

(had a meeting so had to hold off eating, was quite hungry by 11.30am)

11.30am

150g low fat yoghurt, protein powder (forgot the almonds!)

12.45pm

TRICEP workout

2.00pm

One slice wholegrain bread, chicken breast and salad with spinach and lettuce, tomato,carrot and red capsicum

Apple

4.30pm

100g tuna and 2 x rice cakes

6.00pm

CHEST workout

7.00pm

Steak, kumara and broccoli

8.00pm

WW Hot choc and either fruit or if I can be bothered I'll make up a WW Mousse and add protein.

TRICEPS

Rope Pulldown

30kg - 15

35kg - 12

40kg - 12

30kg - 15

Rope Pullover

30kg - 15

32.5kg - 12

35kg - 10

30kg - 15

Kickbacks

6kg - 12 x 4 sets

CHEST

Bench Press (still keeping it really light to rest shoulder)

30kg - 15

40kg - 12

45kg - 10

30kg - 15

Cable Crossover

20kg - 15

22.5kg - 12

25kg - 10

20kg - 15

Pec Deck

30kg - 12

35kg - 10

40kg - 8

30kg - 12

Pressups - 12 x 4 (to help shoulder - been told to do "Plus Pressups" which means extending the arms at the top of the movement so the back is in an arch. This should strengthen my lats which apparently is what caused my shoulder injury)

• 1 month later...