Nationals in October - comp number 2

Mossley

I'm going to start a new journal for this comp. I've learnt from a few past mistakes and am definitely going to do things a little differently this time.

Today is Day One of the new Pre-Contest diet. I've had my two weeks of overeating and am ready to get back into it. Here are the beginning stats (hopefully have measurements tomorrow too)

167cm

58.3kg (5.5kgs heavier than comp weight)

So here goes......

5.30am

30 mins stepper

20 mins crosstrainer

6.30am

Protein Shake

8.30am

30g Oats, serve of protein

11.00am

150g low fat yoghurt, half serve of protein and 8 almonds

1.30pm

Pita bread with 100g Chicken and a huge salad (lettuce/carrot/capsicum)

Apple

The plan for the rest of the day......

4.00pm

2 x rice cakes with 100g tuna

6.00pm

60 min weight training - Back and Biceps (see below)

7.00pm

150g chicken with 1/2 cup cooked rice, 1 cup beans and WW gravy

8.00pm

WW mousse with serve of protein

WORKOUT PLANS

Lat pulldown

45kg - 10

50kg - 8

52.5kg - 6

55kg - to failure

Seated Row

35kg - 10

37.5kg - 8

40kg - 6

40kg - to failure

Unassisted Dips

BW - 10 x 3 sets

Reverse Barbell Grip

20kg - 10

25kg - 8

30kg - 6

25kg - to failure

Incline Dumbell Curls

9kg - 12

10kg - 10

12.5kg - 8

10kg - to failure

Barbell Curl

20kg - 12

25kg - 10

30kg - 6

25kg - to failure

Standing Curl

10kg - 12

12.5kg - 8

12.5kg - 8

10kg - to failure

Hammer Curl

10kg - 12

12.5kg - 10

12.5kg - 8

10kg - to failure

Okay, so any suggestions please let me know.

I'm struggling with portions after my binge, but I'm trying to keep it to large salads, veges etc and not eating too many carbs over the "plan". I'm sure it will come right with a bit of discipline.

Um, my lean mass about 5 months out from comp was about 46kgs (I had about 14kgs of fat), and the week of comp my lean mass had pretty much stayed the same but my weight had come down and bodyfat was only 7kgs.

I'm aiming for around the same this time around, but hopefully not as much bodyfat in the beginning. I'm trying to eat relatively clean now to keep my bodyfat around the 8 or 9kg mark.

Well, I've been out of the office the last couple of days so my eating hasn't been great, but I've still kept up the workouts and am concentrating on trying to eat properly now.

A basic run down of the last two days.

I've had the usual for breakfast, Oats and Protein powder. Lunch has been sandwiches (wholegrain bread) and a small chocolate tart :oops:

Dinners have included chicken with kumara and last night we had homemade bean burritos. Not a lot of protein in that last dinner but I made up for that with the protein in my snacks throughout the day.

Exercise-wise I did Shoulders and Abs on Tuesday. This included

Lat Raises

5kg - 15

6kg - 12

7kg - 10

8kg - 8

Shrugs

10kg - 20 x 4 sets

Dumbell Press

8kg - 15

10kg - 12

12.5kg - 10

15kg - 8

Rear Delt

3kg - 12 x 4 sets

(These were a lot harder than I thought, I'm used to using the Reverse Pec Deck but want to stay away from machines as much as possible)

Won't go into Abs, was a good wkout though, they hurt today so must be working!

Wednesday I did Chest, that went like this..........

Bench Press

40kg - 12

45kg - 10

50kg - 6

52.5kg - 4

Incline Flies

8kg - 15

9kg - 12

10kg - 10

10kg - 10

Dumbell Press

10kg - 15

12.5kg - 12

15kg - 8

15kg - 8

Pec Deck

35kg - 12

40kg - 10

45kg - 8

(was meant to do triceps aswell but felt quite tired yesterday so will add them in Thurs lunchtime).

Okay, back on track, here is today's entry.....

5.30am

30 mins stepper

20 mins crosstrainer

8.00am

30g Oats with serve of protein powder

The plan for the day............

10.30am

low fat yoghurt with 8 almonds and half serve of protein powder

12.00pm

Tricep workout

1.00pm

Tuna sandwich with salad (a bit of cheese too, I missed that stuff!)

Apple

3.30pm

6.00pm

Quads and Hamstrings workout

7.00pm

Omelette with heaps of veges

8.00pm

WW Hot Chocolate and WW Mousse with serve of protein powder.

TRICEPS

Bench Dips

BW + 15kg - 15

BW + 20kg - 12

BW + 25kg - 10

BW + 30kg - 8

Kickbacks

5kg - 12

6kg - 10

7kg - 8

5kg - 12

Ropes (think these are in lbs)

35lb - 12

40lb - 10

45lb - 8

50lb - 6

Unassisted dips

BW - 10 x 4 sets

QUADS and HAMSTRINGS

Walking Lunges

20kg bar - 20 x 4 sets

Leg Press

120kg - 15

140kg - 12

150kg - 10

160kg - 8

Leg Extension

30kg - 12

32.5kg - 10

35kg - 8

37.5kg - 6

Hamstring Curl

25kg - 12

27.5kg - 10

30kg - 8

32.5kg - 6

Swissball Curl

BW - 12 x 4 sets

Straightleg Deadlift

17.5kg bar - 12

20kg - 10

25kg - 8

25kg - 8

Looks good. I crashed my car this morning on my way to the gym :oops: Needless to say I am a little sore and a little shaken. Think I may invest in some sort of cardio equipment so I don;t have to get up so early and drive in the ice.

Hope it wasn't a bad one? My biggest worry is getting up when it's cold. We don't often get ice where I live, heaps of frosts but not a lot of ice on the road. Would be a good idea to get some cardio equipment. I've just bought a spin bike from Rebel Sports and I do that two or three times a week instead of the stepper. It's great, saves me about 15 mins driving time all up so I can do a longer workout. It also has to be the hardest cardio I've done since I gave up running. I sweat so much and at times I'm more out of breath than when I did used to run.

I'm hoping to get more definition in my legs by combining spinning and stepper, should get some pics this weekend so I can see the progress.

unfortunately I dont think those ones will be going on the website, not feeling that attractive after the last two weeks of non-stop eating!

Well, I did reasonably well yesterday. I'm finding it quite hard to curb the sugar cravings and I put it down to having carbs again. I understand that these play havoc with blood sugar levels, so now I'm concentrating on eating as many carbs from the low GI list to try and help.

Todays entry.......

5.30am

45 mins spin bike

8.00am

30g Oats and a serve protein pwder

The rest of the day.......

10.30am

Low fat yoghurt with half serve protein and 8 almonds

12.00pm

30min walk

1.00pm

6 pieces sushi

Apple

3.30pm

6.00pm

Calves and Abs workout

7.00pm

Homemade hamburgers (made with wild pork mince, a lot lower in fat than standard pork)

Kumara

8.00pm

Protein Bar (Low carb - EAS brand)

CALVES AND ABS

Seated Calf Raise

60kg - 12

70kg - 10

80kg - 8

90kg - 6

Leg Press Calf

80kg - 15

90kg - 12

100kg - 10

100kg - 8

Standing Calf (single leg)

12.5kg dumbells - 12 x 4 sets

I don't tend to write down all my ab exercises, I just make sure that I do two exercises for the lower abdominal, two for upper and one for obliques.

looks real good. Yeah its hard to get over the sugar cravings but having low gi carbs helps especially a good amount spread evenly over the course of the morning/afternoon. I am very sore today, (neck and back) so won't be doing any weights for about a week i don't think. Damn you just get on top of things and then wam straight back to where you started. Will do lots of walking instead though.

Only did a little bit of cardio over the weekend, no weight training so I feel ready for my Back and Bi's this afternoon despite the world's worst sleep last night!

Anyway I was up at 5.30am to do my cardio.......

5.30am

30 mins stepper

20 mins incline power walk

8.00am

30g Oats, serve of protein

Black Tea

The plan for the rest of the day (heaps of meetings at work so will be eating at weird times)

10.30am

Cup of Black Tea

11.30am

1/2 cup cooked rice

Wild pork mince patty

2.00pm

150g Low fat yoghurt, half serve protein and 8 almonds

Black Tea

4.30pm

Protein shake

6.00pm

Back and Biceps Workout

7.00pm

Lamb with 2 cups mixed veges and WW gravy

8.00pm

Serve of Protein in WW Mousse

WW Hot Chocolate

BACK AND BICEPS

Unassisted Chin ups

BW - 10 x 4 sets

Lat Pulldown

40kg - 12

45kg - 10

50kg - 8

55kg - 6

Seated Row

30kg - 12

32.5kg - 10

35kg - 8

37.5kg - 6

Dumbell Row

12.5kg - 15

15kg - 12

17.5kg - 10

17.5kg - 10

Standing Dumbell Curl

10kg - 12

12.5kg - 10

12.5kg - 10

10kg - 12

Barbell Curl

17.5kg - 12

20kg - 10

25kg - 8

17.5kg - 12

Concentration Curl

7kg - 12 x 4 sets

Hammer Curl

10kg - 12

12.5kg - 10

12.5kg - 10

10kg - 12

After eating relatively normally for the last couple of weeks I'm finding that I tend to overeat at night. Am I eating enough during the day or should I be adding in a little bit more to my meals? I find my "bad" times are around 2pm and then again after dinner. I tend to crave a lot of sweet stuff but I think this is more down to habit than low blood sugar etc.

Any ideas (other than willpower - I'm trying) to get me through the tough times?

When ever I am trying to get lean it is the after dinner time that I find it hardest to put up with, I drink more water then but as you say it is usualy a sugar cravings so for me I have to tuff it out, I will be interested if anyone has any suggestions also

I tend to find that making sure I have "good" carbs (low GI) earlier in the day prevents most cravings. After tea is my hardest time also and giving myself a treat meal(s)/day seems to help me overcome this as I have a meal where I am allowed to eat the things I am craving, which settles me down for a few days. I think you are best to prepare for the fact that your body is going to start craving things and this way at least you don;'t have to feel guilty about having them. If you follow your diet strictly for the rest of the week then these "treat" meals can actually do your body good and increase fat loss

Since your workout is in the evening, a serving of carbs in the meals afterwards is a probably good idea. Other than the veges (which I don't count :P), are you getting any carbs post workout?? :?

If not, I'm not surprised you're getting cravings. You've just depleted your glycogen stores in the workout and you body will wanting to replace them as fast as possible.

I have been putting carbs in most nights but probably too high in GI, so I'll stick to kumara, pumpkin and occassionally brown rice. We've been having open homemade hamburgers with bread etc. It's wholegrain but probably not as filling as I find rice. I went a bit over my target weight after comp so want to at least try and maintain where I am but thought I should cut my starchy carbs out at night to do that?

Well I was pleased with yesterday's diet. The first day I have really stuck to my diet truthfully and I did it with unexpected meetings throughout the day aswell.

I've decided that I will still have low GI carbs at night until I start my contest diet again. It gives me the energy to get up and do my cardio in the morning too.

Todays plan......

5.30am

30 mins stepper

20 mins crosstrainer

8.00am

30g oats, protein powder

10.30am

low fat yoghurt, half serve of protein and 8 almonds

12.30pm

Planned flat white coffee with a friend

1.30pm

Chicken soup, 1 slice of bread and an apple

4.00pm

Protein Shake

6.00pm

SHOULDERS and ABS

7.00pm

Pumpkin and Spinach Curry

8.00pm

WW Mousse with protein powder

WW Hot chocolate

SHOULDERS and ABS

Lat Raise

5kg - 12

6kg - 10

7kg - 8

7kg - 8

Smith Machine Press (not too sure on weights yet, so will leave this blank)

Rear Delt Raise

4kg - 12 x 4 sets

Shrugs

10kg - 12

12.5kg - 10

12.5kg - 8

10kg - 12

I've decided that I will still have low GI carbs at night until I start my contest diet again.

Good plan. Like I said, after a workout your body's first concern is to use the carbs to replenish glycogen stores in the muscle - you're not likely to be storing any as fat. Besides, you need to have some carbs in there so you've got something to cut out come contest time! :D