BSNS NO-XPLODE

jerume

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been taking NoXplode for the last 2 weeks and loving it. Sad to hear that it has now been banned. I spoke to some sources today & all available product has been 'yellow taped' & therefore not supposed to be sold.

Bugger. Apparently it will take the authorities up to approx April to finalise the ban so....get your hands on it while you can.

I'm going to try and hunt some down so I can stay on it a bit longer. If you know of any place still selling it can you let me know....or let me know the next best thing to it.

Sheta XO

Banned in NZ, rather than other countries from what I can gather. I hear BSN may come up with an alternative recipe for the Australiasian market.

For what it's worth, the Gaspari nutrition product 'Superpump 250' works just as well....and doesn't appear to include Vincamine, or whatever the ingredient in question is.

I really like No-Xplode as well.

Can someone clarify the specifics underpinning the ban?

e.g. is this is new law/restriction which has recently come in? or has someone just discovered that this product breaches an existing law? Why is it prescription only - what do they think may happen to users e.g. do they perceive health risks associated with use? Also - is the situation in NZ different from other countries e.g. is it okay to buy it in Australia? A raft of questions, I know - but would be interested to learn more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincamine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinpocetine

Have a read of these links, and it will provide more info on the ingredients in question. I suggest you ring the dept of health for more info as to why it's banned.

It appears to potentiate other ingredients, which may in turn explain a ban. Maybe if you were a maoi inhibitor (prozac type anti-depressant) taker it may have un-wanted effects.

It appears to potentiate other ingredients, which may in turn explain a ban. Maybe if you were a maoi inhibitor (prozac type anti-depressant) taker it may have un-wanted effects.

Yeah but surely it's up to the user to read the warnings on the side of the container & determine for themselves whether it's a good idea or not to take it.

I'm getting really pissed off being told by this f**king government that I'm not intelligent enough to make sensible decisions!

Sorry, don't want to turn this into a political thread but with this & the

Therapeutic Products and Medicines Bill (that has thankfully been shelved....for now), I'm just extremely pissed!!!

Yeah but surely it's up to the user to read the warnings on the side of the container & determine for themselves whether it's a good idea or not to take it.

I'm getting really pissed off being told by this f**king government that I'm not intelligent enough to make sensible decisions!

Sorry, don't want to turn this into a political thread but with this & the

Therapeutic Products and Medicines Bill (that has thankfully been shelved....for now), I'm just extremely pissed!!!

I think you'll find this is an off shoot of the Therapeutics Products and Medicines bill not going thru. NZ has tightened it's belt on these matters since it was shelved. Frankly it stops a lot of the dodgy importing practices that have gone on for some time, and for that I give the whole thing a thumbs up.

Whether or not you like a law they are there for a reason, and must be adhered to, otherwise consequences must be faced (in the form of fines, confiscation, imprisonment, arse raping). If you don't like something that much, get onto the relevant govt department, ask the questions, and I'm sure you'll get a plausible answer.

On the other hand, I hate the fact this country seems to be controlled by the minority. I don't like the fact that some people beat the hell out of their kids, and as a consequence I can't smack my son lightly when he runs onto the road or does something naughty. Agreed on that point Cammo.

Frankly it stops a lot of the dodgy importing practices that have gone on for some time.......

Such as???

IMO it's buyer beware - if people are silly enough not to do a little research on the brands and products they spend their $$$ on then more the fool them!

Dodgy import practices....NZ businesspeople that legitimately go thru the correct avenues of dealing with licensed distributors only to get undercut by fly-by-nighters that falsify import documents, avoid GST, Duty etc. That's what I'm talking about.

It's about time NZ customs tightened up on that sort of practice. Looks like it's beginning to happen.

IMO it's buyer beware - if people are silly enough not to do a little research on the brands and products they spend their $$$ on then more the fool them!

Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware. True for 90% of the current situation, however, I believe very few business owners were informed of problematic ingredients in products such as No-Xplode. By all accounts, Dept of Health just barrelled on in to retail stores, and seized product, while shop owners were unaware of reasons why.

Similarly, when ordering over the net, it's not like people are informed of what is and isn't legitimate. Many people ordering off BB.com would receive a letter from Customs saying product has been seized and you won't be getting it back, nor will BB.com provide a refund.

Here is the warning that is on both the label & the bb.com website:

Warnings: Before using product, seek advice from a health care practitioner if you are unaware of your current health condition or have any pre-existing medical condition including but not limited to: high or low blood pressure, cardiac arrhythmia, stroke, heart, liver or thyroid disease, anxiety, depression, seizure disorder, psychiatric disease, diabetes, pernicious anemia, difficulty urinating due to prostate enlargement or if you are taking an MAO inhibitor or any other medication. Do not use if you are pregnant, nursing, prone to dehydration or exposed to excessive heat. Reduce or discontinue use if sleeplessness, tremors, dizziness, nervousness, headaches, or heart palpitations occur. This product is only intended to be consumed by healthy adults 18-50 years of age.

Surely now that I have this information it is up to me to determine whether taking this supplement would be detrimental to my health or not.

Here is the warning that is on both the label & the bb.com website:
Warnings: Before using product, seek advice from a health care practitioner if you are unaware of your current health condition or have any pre-existing medical condition including but not limited to: high or low blood pressure, cardiac arrhythmia, stroke, heart, liver or thyroid disease, anxiety, depression, seizure disorder, psychiatric disease, diabetes, pernicious anemia, difficulty urinating due to prostate enlargement or if you are taking an MAO inhibitor or any other medication. Do not use if you are pregnant, nursing, prone to dehydration or exposed to excessive heat. Reduce or discontinue use if sleeplessness, tremors, dizziness, nervousness, headaches, or heart palpitations occur. This product is only intended to be consumed by healthy adults 18-50 years of age.

Surely now that I have this information it is up to me to determine whether taking this supplement would be detrimental to my health or not.

Cammo you can read, and obviously know what's good for you and what's not. While I hate some aspects of the tail wagging the dog, we must look after those people who stick fireworks up animal's arses, or leave nappys on babys for two weeks, just because the label says "18-24 pounds".

Just another case of something that actually works so they ban it.

It hasn't been banned - it's always been illegal for sale and importation only no one realised it or took the time to check until fairly recently. Now that Medsafe have got their A into G they've started cracking down on it. Vincamine is Prescription only and that's what's causing the problems - from what I can tell Vincamine has been Prescription only since at least 1984 so it's not a new thing and they are not just out to beat up on No-xplode.

Sadly you're also going to find BSN Nitrix off the shelves soon too - plus Gaspari Super Pump. Both of them contain more than the recommended daily allowance of Folic Acid which only allows up to 500mcg in a daily dose for retail sale in NZ. Over 500mcg means it can only be sold by Pharmacies who probably have better things to do than sell body building supplements. Nitrix has 200mcg per 3 tab serve - and with a suggested daily dose of 3-4 serves it will need to be relabelled to stay legal in NZ and recommend only 2 serves - which won't be quite as effective for you. Gaspari Super Pump has 420mcg per serve but recommends that up to 3 serves can be used per day so that will need relabeling as well.

In reality all US made products need to be relabelled to meet the NZ labelling requirements however 95% of the products on NZ's shelves breach these. They could technically all be removed from the shelves if Medsafe really wanted to have a go at it.

This isn't nannying by the state so don't go beating off on that tangent. To say "it is up to me to determine whether taking this supplement would be detrimental to my health or not" would then mean that I should be able to go out an buy a gun without a licence, or shoot up with heroin in my lounge.

While Medsafe may seem to be taking a bit of hardline at the moment in some cases it's not without good cause. Some importers and retailers have clearly been pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable and ethical business practice and that has now caught up with them.

It's now a matter of the legitimate importers, retailers and manufacturers working together with the powers that be to create systems and develop a clear framework of NZ legislation regarding sports supplements. The TGA, while somewhat flawed would have at least given us a governing body to work with, which at the moment there is none, and which I believe to be the root of these problems.

• 1 month later...