calorie intake for growth

frogie2001

say I need 2500 cal a day to maintain. I drop to around 1500 cal for competition (ish) what would be a safe cal count for someone to be on for a growth phase, without putting on huge amounts of chib. leam muscle mass is 80kg? also what would the ratios be

50% protein?

20% fat

30% carbohydrate?????

I hope this is the right room for someone to pick this question up

cheers anyone

I tend not to count calories (unless dieting). I usually go by feel, and increase/decrease the amounts slowly as I see changes (or not, as the case may be).

Having said that, I've just looked at a sample diet that was recommended for me a while back, and it works out to exactly 50p/30c/20f. :D

Yeah from what I know it's best to slowly increase your cals i.e. add in an extra 500 per day for a week check if you've gained when you stop gaining add another 500 and so on - that way I've heard you put on the least fat (you will still put some on)

if you jump straight from 2500 to 4000 your body just stores it all.

The ratio is also dead right 50/30/20 - but you can play with the 30/20 - more carbs less fat as long as you still get enough essential fats.

• 4 weeks later...

growth is right on the 250 per week, but, what you do is add that amount to your maintenance, if you are gaining lean mass, stay there until you stop, then add another 250 etc (too high increments will make you store it as fat)

macronutrient ratios... here we go

take 25% of your calories from fat, this is healthy for the liver and keeping HDL (good cholesterol) levels high, but! make sure that your omega-3 and omega-6 ratios are kept equal or leaning in favor of omega 3 (high levels of omega 6 have been attributed to cardiovascular disease etc)

for protein, take between 0.8 - 1.8 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight

the remaining caloric surplus is obviously your carbohydrate intake (high gi PWO only, low gi (e.g green veges) the rest of the time (restrict carb intake past 8pm? (have to look into this more) as the body's digestion rate slows considerably and is most likely to be stored as fat

any other Q's, PM me :P

the remaining caloric surplus is obviously your carbohydrate intake (high gi PWO only, low gi (e.g green veges) the rest of the time (restrict carb intake past 8pm? (have to look into this more) as the body's digestion rate slows considerably and is most likely to be stored as fat

Laws of thermodynamics do not change after 8 pm.

how much do you want to bet on that :P, no the laws do not change, but the way in which energy is utilised in the body and susequently stored does. (sleep though, not time)

so i was wrong in that respect :), thx (but in the process i found new info (protein synthesis with regard to the post absorptive period (i.e sleepy time)

True enough but I have noticed a massive difference in my body since I stopped eating any carbs after 17h00 (ok so it's not 20h00 but the same principle applies) :)

I am eating way more calories and more carbs than I have in ages and I am managing to put on some decent amounts of muscle while slowly losing bodyfat.

I always thought it would be very difficult to gain muscle and lose bodyfat at the same time but it can be done. While I realize that by trying to do both simultaneously, I am probably compromising both to a degree, I find the results far more acceptable to me than the traditional bulk and cut.

ExpensiveUrine wrote:

mmm well in finite quantum systems, well small finite quantum systems you will find alteration in clausius inequality

Hence of course changes to the formulation of the second law of thermodynamics.

As we all know time is not relative therefore ....... not relavant in terms of a specified time :pfft:

yes I know a load of rubbish however I have the day off today and was bored.