Vegetarian diet

blue131

• 1 year later...

Ive been a vegetarian since day dot, however I exclude fish, chicken and eggs but do take other dairy products.

However, being vegan will be alot more arduous. My source of protein from are from the usual suspects, keeping in mind I like variety... there are a lot of alternative mock meat products made from soya I enjoy.

In my opinion, my palate is varied, in fact the usual "aah, rabbit food eh" is quite the contrary.

One just needs to check out the phletora of asian grocery stores for examples of vege chicken, beef, pork, etc the list goes on. Whilst its true these products are processed and may contain high amounts of sodium and fat, I dont see it as a that bad of an alternative, exercise moderation is the key.

My last trainer who was a food encyclopedia told me guys should avoid soy products (like tofu) as it had high levels of estrogen that inhibited muscle growth- anyone got a comment, info on this?

I realise this is in the ladies section- minor hijack.

My last trainer who was a food encyclopedia told me guys should avoid soy products (like tofu) as it had high levels of estrogen that inhibited muscle growth- anyone got a comment, info on this?

I realise this is in the ladies section- minor hijack.

im afraid your trainer has been misinformed. Whilst there was a period whereby trainers and nutrionists robustly discussed the effects of soya on male subjects, it remains without any real proof (science wise).

In fact some trends indicate soya is quite the contrary for bodybuilders/strenght atheletes etc

i myself hvae been consuming soya for the majority of traininng/sporting lifestyle and have not noticed any negative effects. In fact consuming a mixture of dairy and soya based proteins have given me more scope and palatable range.

im afraid your trainer has been misinformed. Whilst there was a period whereby trainers and nutrionists robustly discussed the effects of soya on male subjects, it remains without any real proof (science wise).

In fact some trends indicate soya is quite the contrary for bodybuilders/strenght atheletes etc

i myself hvae been consuming soya for the majority of traininng/sporting lifestyle and have not noticed any negative effects. In fact consuming a mixture of dairy and soya based proteins have given me more scope and palatable range.

Just interested, can you please clarify whether you're male or female? And what sort of 'training/sporting lifestyle'?

Moob argument aside, I'd argue against modern processed soy products. Traditional soy is fermented from 6 months to 3 years. The fermentation process is significant because it removes much of the biologically active phylates and isoflavones from the soy. Phylates are a form of insoluble fiber that can block the body's absorption of minerals from the gastrointestinal tract.

Unfermented soy also contains enzyme inhibitors that reduce protein digestion and goitrogens, which are substances that depress thyroid function. The thyroid controls how quickly the body burns energy, makes proteins, and controls how sensitive the body should be to other hormones.

I'd check any studies that discount the negative effects of soy to see whether they're based on cultures/people who typically eat fermented soy.

Interesting to note too that cultures who eat mostly fermented soy products usually eat meat in the same meal, which may offset some of soy's negative effects. They also don't consume a high amount of soy - it's usually eaten as a condiment, not a meat replacement.

Asian cultures were on to it enough ages ago to know that unfermented soy is toxic. I wouldn't touch it either. It's one of the most common allergens around 8)

Peoples, its a Hijack but Rose, attached is a pic of me. Have been lifting on and off, played at a rep level before and still play competitively.

A vegetarian lifter, you eat soy products pfft, rabbit food, what DOO you eat...thats what I usually get until I get my shirt off ahah

Back to topic, its an interesting notion vegetarianism, however for moi, its a non-issue as it has been a part of me and one not from tree hugging values or the likes... I was born into a vegetarian family and that is what i am used to. Call it culture or style or whatever, I did try consuming meat during my rebel teen years, but I must say meat did not agree with me. Funny that though, I do however like the texture of the mock meat soy products :roll:

post-2959-14166820267573_thumb.jpg