My Log: The Journey to 85Kg

Simo

Ok, SO this is my log, feel free to make any comments or whatever, i wont be offendend (promise). I havent been training properly since Feb, so im really weak, so keep that in mind. Im doing a three day split, no cardio, so if any ex looks a little weak or something just tell me please.

:pfft:

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today: Friday

Lat Pulldown

48 x 10

54 x 7

54 x 8

Dead Lifts

60 x 8

80 x 8

Cable Row

24 x 20

54 x 12

60 x 10

66 x 8

One Arm Cable Row

60 x 10

EZ Bar Curls

Bar x 20

30 x 8

30 x 8

One Arm DB Row

20 x 10

BB Curls

21.50 x 8

24.50 x 6

Hammer Curls

8.5 x 10

10 x 8

10 x 8

DB Shrugs

31 x 15

Machine Shurgs

92 x 12

The weight for the machine shrugs and the one arm cable row are pretty meaningless cause there is so many pulleys helping out. Fore arm was huge and sore after BB curls, i couldn't curl it properly cause my arm was twisting a bit. Pretty bad workout but good i suppose cause havent been in a while.

Well done on starting a journal. Your workout looks pretty good, do you do any chins, pullups etc? I see you do lat pulldowns which is basically the same as a pullup anyway but IMO chins and pullups are important for back development.

Did you find you had much grip strength left at the end of all that bicep work for the shrugs?

Cool to see another Journal :)

Just an idea: My split used to consist of a back/bi, chest/tri day, as well. I found that by switching it around, ie- chest/bi, back/tri, I could hit both of the desired muscle groups that much harder.

After cable rows and lat pulldowns, I couldn't give it my all on the curls as my biceps were exhausted, but they weren't fully worked being a secondary muscle and all. By swapping curls for: closegrip bench, dips, and tripush downs; I could absolutly cane my triceps on backday.

Same goes on chest day. This way you get to destroy your arms nearly twice during the split.

As I said, just an idea. I hadn't thought of doing it that way before, but now in my head anyway it makes more sense than the split before.

New favourite quote: "Quality not quantity" - Cottrell Porter

Cool to see another Journal :)

Just an idea: My split used to consist of a back/bi, chest/tri day, as well. I found that by switching it around, ie- chest/bi, back/tri, I could hit both of the desired muscle groups that much harder.

After cable rows and lat pulldowns, I couldn't give it my all on the curls as my biceps were exhausted, but they weren't fully worked as they are a secondary muscle used for the back exercies- when done correctly. By swapping curls for: closegrip bench, dips, and tripush downs; I could absolutly cane my triceps on backday.

Same goes on chest day. This way you get to destroy your arms nearly twice during the week.

As I said, just an idea. I hadn't thought of doing it that way before, but now in my head anyway it makes more sense than the split before.

New favourite quote: "Quality not quantity" - Cottrell Porter

if you had read my log you would of got this idea long ago :grin: .. although on back day i do just back .. cos back training is really full on and i just wanna fall down dead after

Growth, grip stringh was ok, i used straps for the pulldowns DF's and shrugs, so was ok.

Bleat, i am concidering changing it a bit, but i usually do, chest/shoulders, back/bi's and legs/tri's, but i could mix it a bit a see what happens, thanks for all the replys/advice.

Wednesday

DB Bench

21.5 x 10

23.5 x 8

25.5 x 10

Flys (machine)

51 x 10

57 x 8

63 x 8

Shoulder Press (smith machine)

20 x 20

40 x 10

45 x 10

BB Bench

80 x 1

Side Raise

11.50 x 10

Bent over Row

11.50 x 10

Front Raise

13 x 10

Didnt have much time today, lots of assignments, just tried the BB Bench to see what i can do, and 80 was ok.

Growth, sorry, the answer to ur eariler Q, i do some chins sometimes, but i can only do 3-5 and its damn hard, thats with a wide grip on the angled bits, so im just trying to get the pulldowns to about body weight, then il hit more chins and even weighted chins, cant wait for that day to come.

Growth, sorry, the answer to ur eariler Q, i do some chins sometimes, but i can only do 3-5 and its damn hard, thats with a wide grip on the angled bits, so im just trying to get the pulldowns to about body weight, then il hit more chins and even weighted chins, cant wait for that day to come.

Yeah i find gripping wide on the angles part to be much harder than regular chins. I hadnt really done weighted pullups until recently and to be honest it feels easier than doing bw pullups, the extra weight really gives some resistance so you really concentrate on pulling yourself up.

IMO you should be doing chins or pullups even if you can only do a few, just keep trying to get an extra rep per w/o or something.

I recall you said you were doing a three day split, are you managing to get all your w/o's in?

Yeh thats right, and not really, im slowly getting into it again, hence the low weights, but i am real busy with assignments, and i cant do them in a couple of hours like jono, so yeh, gym has to take the back seat for the moment, i still get there two or three times a week, so its enough to keep the strength. i do a bit at home sometimes to fill in the gaps too. just DB stuff.

3 times a week is enough. I used to train HST style, hitting every bodypart on mon wed and fri. It was a very good program and was the first time i cracked 90kg. Perhaps you should look into that. The only downside to HST i found was that i was in the gym for a long time because of the need to hit the whole body, i was doing around 15 exercises per day...

Yeh could do that, but to be honest i thought that was more for beginners, as i usually need two days to recover, and if i hit every bodypart every two days, might stop the growing as its still rebuilding. Also i spend 1.5 - 2 hours at the moment, so i guess id have to fly through the ex to get them all done and hence they would be at a low weight, and how can i do squats DF and Bench in one day, surely you would be totally exhaused after.

Having said all that, maybe i need a change of style for now until i get back into it properly.

Also need a weight belt for those weighted chins, do you do weighted Dips? i do them with a DB between my feet. hehe

When you say 'cracked 90kg' what was that for?

Thanks for the help :)

Well its not quite like that, you dont squat, bench and deadlift everyday, it a kind of rota system. Like for your chest, every w/o you do a different exercises, like monday flat bb bench, wednesday db flyes, friday weighted dips etc. So if you set it up right you wont have to bench, squat and deadlift on the same day. It was just a thought anyway...

Im not currently doing weighted dips in my routine, have done before, worth getting a weight belt though, using a rope and tieing plates to yourself really digs into your hips...

When i mean 90kg i mean my bodywieght, it was my first proper bulk, went from 80 to 90kg, then lost it all, fell to around 75 :shock: Now im back at 90 with alot more knowledge...

yeh sorry im such a duh, yeh that way its just like what im doing now, just mix up, mmm, il see how legs go tomorrow, and then we will see. could be easier cause i get pretty fatigued at the end.

I hope you dont mind but i was reading through ur log (to get ideas) and it seems as though you were like i am now, so if i could get as good as you are in say a year id be real stoked. Do you think 85KG is reasonable from 75kg by the end of da year...

I've got real probs with imbalances tho, so have to work through them, trying more DB work.

If you were to bulk hard you could definatley get to 85 kilos by the end of the year, but just keep in mind, come december you dont want to be at the end of your bulk, summertime and all. Thats why alot of people bulk during the winter and begin cutting just before summer.

But to put on 10 kilos in 6 or 7 months shouldnt be a problem, as long as you eat enough your weight will increase. Diet is the key.

yeh sorry im such a duh, yeh that way its just like what im doing now, just mix up, mmm, il see how legs go tomorrow, and then we will see. could be easier cause i get pretty fatigued at the end.

I hope you dont mind but i was reading through ur log (to get ideas) and it seems as though you were like i am now, so if i could get as good as you are in say a year id be real stoked. Do you think 85KG is reasonable from 75kg by the end of da year...

I've got real probs with imbalances tho, so have to work through them, trying more DB work.

thats a realistic goal man. stay consistant, make sure you diet is good and you can do it.

imbalances will even out over time

Friday

Squats

60 x 12

70 x 10

75 x 8

80 x 6

90 x 4

Leg Extensions

48 x 10

54 x 8

60 x 8

Calf Raises (seated)

34 x 12

40 x 10

52 x 3 (too light)

58 x 8

Leg Curls

30 x 10

36 x 10

Cable Rope Pullover (thing)

18 x 15

30 x 10

30 x 10

Rope Pushdowns (heaps of pulleys)

24 x 15

30 x 10

36 x 10

Bar Pushdowns (one pulley)

18 x 10

24 x 8

33 x 8

Lost heaps on squat i think, but felt ok. was busy so couldnt do all the tri work i wanted to, like working tri's cause they are majorly weak. Hate the new leg press, its new school, no plates, just a stack. Also i had no time between squats and extensions, so they were a little down. Too many B n C's last night me thinks.

Yesterday.

DB vertical Press

12 x 10

12 x 12

DB Front Raise

12 x 12

12 x 12

DB Side Raise

12 x 8

12 x 8

DB Flys

12 x 10

DB Curls

12 x 10

This was at home (hence the 12kg DBs) just to keep things moving along.

Side laterals was damn difficult. Curls were just for fun. Front delts are coming along nicely. forgot to do rear delts.

Yeah im the same, except i got a barbell at home, can only hold a max of around 80 so its really only good for bis, tris, and shoulders, but if i feel a bodypart is lagging or neads some extra work i often do some sets in the backyard.

What uni are you at mate?