Good gym near Howick (within 20 mins)

al-ex

Hi Big-Mac,

Yeah work has not changed - thats in remuera but where to live we still have not finalised but think i found found a nice house to rent in mt wellington - so fingers crossed it will be there. Its quite hard finding a place to live online from the uk as the rental market moves quickly over there and with 2 young children i need to sort it before i get there and hope its all good.

Laters

Alex

Yeah work has not changed - thats in remuera but where to live we still have not finalised but think i found found a nice house to rent in mt wellington

if ure in that area ther are a couple of gyms close

in remuera: the remuera raquets club has a gym, also tennis and squash courts more aligned to that stuff, and older rich folks so imagine itd b a tad expensive, but if ure working there then would be handy

in mt welly vicinity (general area):

-environment gym on mt smart road (very bb'r aligned)

-GI YMCA good rates, pretty good equipment, but highest db 45s, have a creche u can drop kids off at while u train, and 3 pools; 33m, 20m and 17m kiddies pool

-bodytech ? i think it is called behind ascot hospital in greenlane, dont rely agree with there mottos of 45mins wo blah blah but wateva

-uni sports training centre on merton road never been there but looks flash, rekons its a "centre for sports performance"

hope this sorta helps :)

Good suggestions Small!

Alex, I'd highly recommend The Environment Gym if you're going to be around the area. It won't be the biggest gym you've ever seen, but that's just because it has none of the pretty machines that "fluffy" gyms use to attract newbies. It's got everything you'll need though. I don't know what the prices are like, but as Small says, it's very bb-focused. It's run by Tony Ligaliga and Lynnie Wright, both with excellent reputations in NZ bodybuilding circles. Here's one member's comments on the place.

Definitely worth checking out... and if you do, tell them we sent you. :)

Thank you Pseudonym.

NEW QUESTION:

how bad is the traffic at rush hour in the morning from Howick area to Remuera?

I tell you why i ask, i am having mixed reviews from family that have hoilday'd there and the family that live there and estate agents that work there.

Visiting family have said the traffic isn't that bad compared to the uk , kiwi relatives say that the traffic is great (because they want us in howick i feel) and yet estate agents say things like "are you mad!" its an hour at least to remuera at rush hour.

ANYONE ANY REAL IDEA?

Thanks again everyone, you are helping to make this easier, i am gonna have to buy a lot of people a lot of drinks!

Alex

yes i hav a real idea

i live a normal >10mins or less from my house to remuera village, yet on a weekday morning between 8am and 9am it would take 30mins.

this is because of the school mums (and dads) driving there tanks dropping off kids at school - corran and kings prep are both on remuera road, and remuera intermediate is close too. then there are lots of school kids catching buses and these too clogg up the street. also commuters that use the motorway and use the greenlane on ramp is gotten too via remuera road and surrounding streets, its hella crazy. my mum works in remuera (estate agent aktualy :P) she only goes in one morning a week..

Hi Small,

thankyou for that, 30 mins i can handle so maybe howick isnt that bad, it might just be that everyone's perception of bad traffic is different.

this will at least make things easier when looking for a house as i now have a larger area to look in!

thanks again,

Alex

have read that user report , if its the "gillies ave" gym it sounds perfect

The Gillies Ave gym is not the Environment Gym, if that's what you mean - although both have had good reviews from members here. From what I've heard I suspect Gillies is oriented more towards powerlifters than bodybuilders, but I could be wrong (I've never been there).

Don't know if anyone has shown you the Smaps website yet, but it might be helpful...

Gillies Ave

Environment Gym (Mt Smart Rd)

• 1 month later...

o......k

update!

i took the free 10 day trial at All Seasons as its close (yes i ended up in howick) and mind body and soul is no good for me, look for Bodytrain (?) but could not find it for the life of me. Went to the "olympic" in new market but not enough space or free-weights to go round so that was no good. Then looked hard for the "gillies ave" powerlifting gym but could not find it even when i went into local businesses and garage at the end of the road, no one seem to know of it. Next i went looking for "Environment Gym" but alas again could ot find it. Finally ended up at "Body Business" and have to say its a great gym. Lots of space, lots of weights and benches, not overly crowded even at peak times, cheaper or the same as most i have seen ...AND... i get my own key for when i can't train until 10 or 11 at night. And on top of all that there is no credit agreement, you can cancel anytime, the peeps are dead friendly and they will even make you a Whey shake!

What more can a guy ask for!

Guys and Girls - thank you all!

...if anyone can shed some light on what i am looking for with more gyms then please tell me, it is much appreciated as i will go and do some casual sessions every week in a different gym and drum up some PT work. So if you know why i couldn't find the Environment Gym or the one on Gillies Ave or Mt Smart Rd then please tell!

Laterz All,

Alex

Body business is an absolutely excellent place to train. That's where I started out.

Right to get to Gillies ave gym... it's at 99 Gillies avenue. If you're travelling along Gillies ave from the Greenlane side of town, its at the bottom of the hill before you start going up towards the motorway north, so it's on the left (at the traffic lights), literally 200metres before the motorway bridge/onramp.

The gym shares the same carpark as the Badminton hall and is the small freestanding building on the far end of the car park. Recommended times to go are Monday and Weds late afternoon, there should always be someone there then.

Thanks Big Mac,

yep the body business is "the business" so far - love having a key and training on my own with no distractions - great people great crowd and excellent equipment takes me back to when i started!

Alex