Good gym near Howick (within 20 mins)

al-ex

Hey Guys and Girls, I am moving to nz from the uk in Feb/March - 08 and will be wanting to find a decent gym quick, any help or advice here would be good, im not bothered about cardio machines, just free weights and machines, cardio is a bonus but as i said not important. Rough guide to the costs would be helpful too. Many Thanks Peeps!

Define good.

The one I goto (Allseasons meadowlands) is kind of pansy, in all honesty it's full of halfrep heros and I saw some guys in there the other day looking as if they where dressed for a fashion show. You can still train though just if you go at 6 at night sometimes its PACKED and you have to wait for equipment.

It's costly as well however the membership I had at my old gym carried over to this one since we where redirected and i'm paying under half what almost everyone else is paying which is why i'm still there.

As for more hardcore gyms out this way I honestly don't know. There probably is further south in Manukau. In fact i'd be willing to bet there is.

I seem to have to say this alot, haha.

Body business in East Tamaki, it's around 10 mins from Howick and if you live near Meadowlands like I do, it's only 5 mins away. It's in Nandina ave, off Harris road. Cost is probably around $600 a year. Bit of cardio, lots of free weights = excellent.

ahah half rep pansies. theres 3 guys there that spring to mind when you say that. i've been there for 4 years no and am looking at moving to body business. im sick of the parking and the muppets that have suddenly sprung up there. there was honestly a guy on a cross trainer there yesterday with sunnies on wtf??

Me? i'm the god damn silver surfer and I critique everyones technique as I please :pfft: Not really though... lol. It just describes guys who do it for their ego or if they are new because they are noobs and think going any lower than atleast 2 fists of their chest will result in their shoulders imploding in an awesome display that will send their rotator cuffs all over nearby gym patrons.

Man I live less than 100 metres from the Meadowlands gym heaps of you guys go to. Any idea if they do casual sessions? Might be cool to all go in together on a busy Monday night and just do a heavy session. Last time I was in a commerical gym proper I was about 17 and doing squats with 180kg atg and had a couple guys come ask me if I was on the sauce. A big group of guys lifting heavy could kill some ego's quickly.

Not like I want the attnetion or anything :P

2guns, we still need to do a leg session together some time. Maybe at the auckland uni rec centre or the like.

Haha i'm not as strong as you guys, so I wouldn't be joining you up there in 4 plate eachside land at least not yet anyway, hopefully one day though. I'm more than happy to train with some hardcore folks though since I usually train alone figure it would be good motivation.

Hey dudes and dudettes, thanks for the info on the gyms, it should help me save some time when i get there. Training late is something im used to, i prefer 2pm (i seem to have so much more oomph then) but i usually walk in the gym by 8.00pm and walk out the door at 11p.m so i can do it, its just hard work getting hyper that late and then you cant sleep until 12 or 1 , damn!

2guns, we still need to do a leg session together some time. Maybe at the auckland uni rec centre or the like.

i didnt know we were going to at all, but yeah sure anytime, maybe in a bout 10 weeks ok... :pfft:

Auckland rec centre ages ago with expensiveurine, you were going to come, but things went haywire cause we didn't know what you looked like. Now you're tanked so won't be a problem. 10 weeks sounds fine, I know you'll be pretty swole after a 'competition' then. :pfft:

I'm sure Frank at BTS will remember me, maybe do a casual there. He invited me to come do a novice PL meet there, trained with him at body business a few times. He's the one who taught me how to squat right.

• 1 month later...
I've got a mate who goes to Meadowlands All seasons. Say he can turn up with me and I'll get a free 10 day membership. Can any of you guys who go there confirm that?

Was expecting maybe a free session, but not 10 days.

let me confirm that - take a day okay

I've got a mate who goes to Meadowlands All seasons. Say he can turn up with me and I'll get a free 10 day membership. Can any of you guys who go there confirm that?

Was expecting maybe a free session, but not 10 days.

let me confirm that - take a day okay

Thanks bro. Went round there tonight and did some front squats and a bit of arm stuff. Got a 10 day pass for free cause I came with a member. Pretty sweet deal. Just way more people in the gym than I'm used to.

2guns, maybe we can get a group together one night to train at Meadowlands. Just a suggestion. Do you know if BTS does casual sessions? I'd like to come round and see Frank some time, he's got a great gym.

Ok guys, maybe a change of plan, i may not be in howick now due to travel times at rush hour (everyone seems to have a different story about NZ traffic) so i am now looking at mount wellington x so any good gyms within 20 mins of Mt Wellington? looking mainly for free weights and some machines not fussed about cardio as i can always run or cycle.

thanks in advance,

Alex

Ok guys, maybe a change of plan, i may not be in howick now due to travel times at rush hour (everyone seems to have a different story about NZ traffic) so i am now looking at mount wellington x so any good gyms within 20 mins of Mt Wellington? looking mainly for free weights and some machines not fussed about cardio as i can always run or cycle.

thanks in advance,

Alex

Howick and East Tamaki are around 20 mins or less from Mt Wellington. East Tamaki probably gets ruled out at rush hour though as Ti Rakau is a madhouse from 5-6pm.

Where are you planning to work and live?