What's worth getting and what is not

Simo

Just wondering what supps (if anything) i should spend my hard earned money on.

Currently ive got (a nearly empty) tub of leppins bulk pro4 and the NFS ZMA multivitamin, is there anything else im missing or should i try another whey when i finish this one. Also thinking about flaxseed oil, let me know if this is worthwhile.

Any advice is really appreciated thanks :)

Just wondering what supps (if anything) i should spend my hard earned money on.

Currently ive got (a nearly empty) tub of leppins bulk pro4 and the NFS ZMA multivitamin, is there anything else im missing or should i try another whey when i finish this one. Also thinking about flaxseed oil, let me know if this is worthwhile.

Any advice is really appreciated thanks :)

flax seed oil or fish oil, multi vit, and protien powder is all you need, hell you dont even need the protien powder. its really not about supplements, its about eat huge amounts of quality foods.

I would say an EFA's, a multi and protein powder. Like jono said though, if you eat enough protein from meat you dont need to supplement with protein powder, i find it difficult however to get enough from meat so i buy protein powder whenever i can afford.

What's EFA's

Yeh i only take the protein shake just so i get enough, you know not enough time to prepare and eat food all day. But yeh im not made of $$ either so i only have as much as i can afford.

And i realise that food is much more important, and currently im working on that. Don't worry i'll be asking plenty more questions about what i should be eating later.

Cheers for that guys

For the Protein should i get one that has carbs and protien (like i have now is two thirds carbs) or one with just protein, cause i can make up the carbs in meals easily enough i think, like would it end up cheaper that way just spending money on a good whey powder and just eats more oats to make up the carbs...

For the Protein should i get one that has carbs and protien (like i have now is two thirds carbs) or one with just protein, cause i can make up the carbs in meals easily enough i think, like would it end up cheaper that way just spending money on a good whey powder and just eats more oats to make up the carbs...

Well if upping your protein intake is what you want to do then go for a more purer protein blend, even high protein powders will usually still contain enough simple carbs to help with protein uptake. Althugh i once bought a whey isolate that had an extremely high protein content and almost zero fat and carbs, tasted very bad.

Well if upping your protein intake is what you want to do then go for a more purer protein blend, even high protein powders will usually still contain enough simple carbs to help with protein uptake. Althugh i once bought a whey isolate that had an extremely high protein content and almost zero fat and carbs, tasted very bad.

thats what i bought for like 4 months.. ur right it tastes real crappy

Balance do a whey Protein Isolate that is un-flavoured, that is there is absolutely nothing in there except Whey Protein Isolate. It is 95% protein by weight, or 28.5g protein per 30g serve.

When you add flavours, it takes the protein by weight down to 91%, or 27.4g per serve.

Was the brand balance? Must have been the same product, looked chalky as, never had anything like it before.

yep. it was :grin:

i thought it wasnt bad .. i dont eat foods for the taste you know. all my foods i eat taste bad .. i just accept it and choke it down

Yeh i can't stand crapping tasting stuff or stuff that doesnt mix properly.

Um what does fish oil and flaxseed oil taste like, and when should i take that, (eg post workout), and should i have it straight or mix it in a shake.

yep. it was :grin:

i thought it wasnt bad .. i dont eat foods for the taste you know. all my foods i eat taste bad .. i just accept it and choke it down

HA, same one! Yeah guess it wasnt too bad, you cant expect much when is basically pure protein. I find if you eat the same thing for long enough you will begin to accept the taste more and more, like tuna for instance, i used to hate it, now its quite tasty :?

Um what does fish oil and flaxseed oil taste like, and when should i take that, (eg post workout), and should i have it straight or mix it in a shake.

The oils taste pretty bad if theyre straight from the bottle, you can get them in capsules but if your going to use oils long term then its more cost effective to go with the straight oil.

Take it anyway you like, although i wouldnt add it to your post workout shake as fats will delay the protein uptake, keep it for befroe bedtime, with dinner maybe.

Ok,

what if i work out at night tho, cause i usually go at 7 or 8pm, that is the only time im free really, i know this is not ideal, so how can i eat to suit this. I don't really know much about nutrition, but im assuming i should steer away from fats post workout, and carbs before bed, does this mean i should just have mostly protein after the workout/before bed. Or should i try to find time during the day to go to the gym.

I can't remember what mag i saw it in but their was a reported stack you could use consisting of HMB, creatine, ZMA and tribulus. i can't remember the amounts or the stack method but worked out the cost and it looked like it would be pretty pricey. I don't know how effective it would have been. personally I have had little succes with using these types of wonder suplements.

Hard work and lots of food works well though

Ok,

what if i work out at night tho, cause i usually go at 7 or 8pm, that is the only time im free really, i know this is not ideal, so how can i eat to suit this. I don't really know much about nutrition, but im assuming i should steer away from fats post workout, and carbs before bed, does this mean i should just have mostly protein after the workout/before bed. Or should i try to find time during the day to go to the gym.

Well it depend when you go to bed, if it were me id take a quick PW shake that was high protein with just enough carbs to assist uptake, then when you go to bed, assuming its around 10-11pm, have your oil, maybe with some cottage cheese.

It doesnt take long for your body to assimilate the PW shake, thats the whole idea.

like tuna for instance, i used to hate it, now its quite tasty :?

I still can't eat it straight... It's not the taste - it's the texture. Unless it's the flavoured stuff, I have to add pasta sauce to get it down. Otherwise it just wads up into this dry lump... :P

Simo - I workout in the evening too. This is what my postworkout food looks like...

Immediately after workout - Sweet sugary drink (I use a fruit cordial with extra glucose). The idea is to replenish your energy stores and create a spike in insulin levels to help with protein uptake.

20 mins later - Protein shake, mixed with water, not milk. Fat will slow the protein uptake.

30mins after that - Dinner. Source of protein, carbs, and fat... eg steak, potatos, carrots, etc...

2-3hours after that - Pre-bedtime meal. Usually tuna, because I like quick and easy at this time of night... I have it with tomato pasta sauce (bugger-all protein/carbs/fat) and melted cheese on top. The cheese is a source of fat, but more importantly it also improves the flavour. :P

(You could add carbs in here if you felt you needed it)

Midnight snack - I make up a shake, add some flax-seed oil, and sit it beside the bed for the middle of the night.

like tuna for instance, i used to hate it, now its quite tasty :?

I still can't eat it straight... It's not the taste - it's the texture. Unless it's the flavoured stuff, I have to add pasta sauce to get it down. Otherwise it just wads up into this dry lump... :P

lol harden up girlie man :grin:

Midnight snack - I make up a shake, add some flax-seed oil, and sit it beside the bed for the middle of the night.

Yeah thats what i always wanted to do, i used to always wake up starving but couldnt be bothered making anything.

Doesnt the protein begin to break down if its kept mixed ready to go, i cant remember but someone always used to say it begins to break down so storing it for a few hours post mix isnt a good idea.

Anyone know the answer?

Dunno about it breaking down, but i mixed it up a few hours eariler a couple of times and it starts to precipitate out and seems to go all gunky like, pretty yuk.

Pseudonym, thats pretty much what i do know, a sugar drink right after then a shake ( i use milk tho its got like no fat in it, but il use water now) then a good meal, but thats like at 10pm, so i pretty much go to bed soon after, so no time for another meal. i might start going a little eariler as its hard to sleep sometimes when the old body is hurting.

I think a lot of the time when your diet is more sensible, the overall food bill is cheaper, so there is that little bit of spare for the quality stuff such as protein powder.

I buy my whey powder from the health food store in a foil sealed bag for $25 as opposed to spending $40+ for the ones in the sport section in the fancy containers. It is low fat, virtually no carb and flavorless so I can add it to anything I like.