HOT TOPIC: Gyms to put surgeons out of business

Candidates for heart transplant surgery may have an alternative, new research suggests.

At a recent health and fitness conference in San Francisco, Dr Dean Ornish presented the results of a study involving seven patients on a waiting list for heart transplant surgery.

His research group found that by placing all seven on a programme of regular exercise and a healthy diet, within twelve months none of the seven required the heart transplant.

Club Physical CEO Paul Richards says the conference was told that abrupt radical lifestyle change by far outweighs the slow progressive approach to health improvement.

“To explain this Dr Ornish told us that the adoption of a daily exercise routine, minimal fat diet, smoking cessation and regular peer support meetings will much more likely be maintained if done in unison because the recipient will enjoy immediate and dramatic health benefits.â€

Paul Richards says the news is particularly important for New Zealand, as the country is now the world leader in Type 2 diabetes and holds third place as the world's fattest nation.

:shock: I realised the we had a high rate of diabetes but i didnt realise we came in third for fattest nation :shock:

Paul Richards says the news is particularly important for New Zealand, as the country is now the world leader in Type 2 diabetes and holds third place as the world's fattest nation.

:shock: I realised the we had a high rate of diabetes but i didnt realise we came in third for fattest nation :shock:

its true.. new zealand is a county full of fat slobs

• 3 weeks later...

Good job. It seems new zealand is becomming a more health conscious county which is great! Have you noticed mc donnalds ads on tv now with there salads and low fat meals? people say to me that training costs so much for food etc. Calculate that cost over the cost of a triple heart bypass because you havent taken care of yourself!