PVL Whey Maxx High Protein Powder

Pseudonym

What they say...

WheyMaxx delivers premium protein quality in a great tasting, easy mixing powder, made from only the best 100% pure whey protein. New WheyMaxx provides ample amounts of all the essential amino acids and peptides necessary to help you meet your physique goals. If you're a hard training athlete looking for maximum protein quality at an incredible price, new WheyMaxx is exactly what you're been searching for.

SUPERIOR QUALITY FOR REAL RESULTS

Whey protein is number one with hard training athletes. WheyMaxx delivers only the best whey protein concentrate and isolate in the perfect combination for maximizing athletic performance and muscle recovery. WheyMaxx is the perfect source for a post-workout amino acid infusion into intensely trained muscles. WheyMaxx custom blend provides quick delivery of amino acids from two different proteins digesting at different rates, allowing work-out recovery to begin immediately to unleash muscle growth.

QUALITY COUNTS

WheyMaxx proteins are sourced from only the highest quality CMF whey concentrates and isolates, and informed athletes will tell you this is exactly what you should look for in a high performance protein powder. CMF whey provides all the essential amino acids, including BCAA's, glutamine, and arginine, leaving WheyMaxx users wanting for nothing. Cool temperature processing of WheyMaxx insures proteins are left undenatured for maximum growth potential. WheyMaxx is further enhanced with the amino liberating ISOZYMETM, raising the digestibility

and absorption of WheyMaxx far beyond that of average protein brands.

MIXES BETTER - LESS WASTE

WheyMaxx is perfect for making protein shakes, and even if mixed only in water the great taste of WheyMaxx will surprise you. Like all PVL Nutrients proteins, WheyMaxx mixes instantly just by shaking, with no blender required. For convenience and great taste WheyMaxx is a solid choice every time. Other brands use inferior proteins that just don't mix that well. Your protein NEEDS to be instantized so that it goes into a liquid state so your body can absorb it. WheyMaxx mixes easily into water for maximum uptake, so your hard working muscles get the protein you paid for!

LOW CARB DONE EVEN BETTER

Low carb diet? No problem. WheyMaxx contains only 4.8g of carbs with absolutely no sugar. With carbs this low WheyMaxx is ideal for diets such as Atkins, The Zone, Suzanne Somers Diet, South Beach Diet, The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, or any other low-carb diet plan. WheyMaxx is low-carb, low fat, and only 131 calories per serving. Perfect! And because only WheyMaxx comes direct from the manufacturer, you know you're getting a premium blend at maximum value!

PERFORMANCE & PURITY

WheyMaxx is pure protein - plain and simple. It tastes great with no aspartame and no hidden sugars (others do), and is 100% whey (no gelatin, no milk, no egg, no soy, no wheat). You get the purest whey proteins without any waste. No chunks, no lumps. WheyMaxx simply outerforms all other proteins in its' class. WheyMaxx exceeds all the protein requirements of hard training athletes, and you won't have to give up your gym membership to afford it. If you think extra protein may be what your body needs, it doesn't get any better than WheyMaxx!

What I found...

Most protein powders are too sweet for my tastes - especially the ones from the States, it seems. By contrast, when I started using this powder my first thought was, "Have they used ANY sweetener at all?!" It took a few days to get used to the taste, but yes, it is still sweetened (just not beside most other proteins). It makes a nice change not to feel like my lips are covered in syrup after drinking a shake.

The chocolate flavour is very strong dark chocolate - almost bittersweet. I really like dark chocolate, but initally this verged on too much, even for me. But after a week, it had grown on me, so perhaps it's an acquired taste.

The consistency is good, and they don't seem to have added much thickener at all - more of a chocolate milk consistency, rather than a shake. Personally, I like that.

Now to the mixability, and here I was disappointed. PVL trumpeted the fact that "WheyMaxx mixes easily into water", and how it "mixes better for less waste". That to me suggests it can be mixed with a spoon, but apparently not in this case.

To be fair, PVL did say "WheyMaxx mixes instantly just by shaking, with no blender required" - and that's absolutely true. But good luck to anyone trying to use anything less than a shaker. In any other situation, this protein powder has an amazing ability to resist penetration by milk or water. Even mixed in through breakfast muesli, it refuses to dissolve, forming powdery islands on top of the milk, and/or milky lakes on powdery continents... Only after prolonged mashing with a spoon would the powder eventually (and I mean eventually) dissolve into liquid.

As for mixing with a spoon into a glass of cold water, well, there's not a snowball's chance in hell.

The numbers are as follows...

Protein per 100g: 70.5

Carbs per 100g: 14.7

Fat per 100g: 5.88

Energy per 100g: 382.2

Potassium per 100g: 1.05

Sodium per 100g: 323.4

There are 24g of protein per 34g scoop, which is average, not astounding. I don't know how the quality of the protein stacks up (any experts who cared to comment would be welcome!) but comparing the amino acid profile to Horleys Awesome Whey, Horleys betters PVL Whey Maxx on each one.

Still, the price wasn't half bad. I bought a 4.5kg (10lb) bag, with a calculated 132 serves. That came to a very reasonable $144.95 from Punch Supplements.

My conclusion? I like the taste and consistency - I'd give it 4 out of 5 for this. But I can't love a protein powder I can't mix with a spoon. It's a clincher for me, so regardless of it's other excellent attributes, I won't be getting it again.

I'm not a big fan of the PVL protein. Does the nutrition panel on the pack say it provides 24g of protein per serve? The PVL website says 23g for the chocolate flavour making it 67.6% protein, which is pretty damn low for a concentrate and isolate blend - it's low just for a whey concentrate. It makes me wonder what they are actually putting in it for the protein content to be so low. Even at 70% protein it's pretty low. And if the lab assay displayed on the PVL website is anything to go by the protein count is 97% to label claim so you might only be getting 65% protein.

• 2 weeks later...

in use a horleys shaker, they start to leak after a while (bout 6 months) but goes in dish washer every night so pretty good really!

i just put the water in then the powder and shake it up sometimes get a few lumps but doesnt matter enough to me to spend time doing the layer thing tht others mentioned.

i like it better than dymatize id have to say

i personllay love 100%GOLD WHEY their vanilla is really yum

Supplement Facts

Serving Size1Scoop(32g)

Servings Per Container28

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Calories 130

Calories From Fat 15

Total Fat 1.5g 2%

Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 30mg 10%

Sodium 100mg 4%

Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%

Sugars 1g

Protein 24g

Vitamin A 0%

Vitamin C 0%

Calcium 10%

Iron 2%

Not a Significant Source of Dietary Fiber

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Ingredients

Protein Blend(Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptides), Cocoa(Processed With Alkali), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Lecithin, Creamer(Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin, Modified Food Starch, Di-Potassium Phosphate, Tri-Calcium Phosphate, Tocopherols), Salt, Acesulfame Potassium, Aminogen®, Sucralose, Lactase

This Product Contains Whey Derived From Dairy And Lecithin (To Improve Mixability) Derived From Soybeans.

Over 4 grams of glutamine and glutamine precursors as well as 5 grams of BCAAs (leucine, isoleucine, and valine) in each scoop!

i ve had some good mass gain with this shake,sorry i dont have any figures for you guys but it does feel really good having the shake.definatley recommeded and it actualy tastes quite good with water.