NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
SheLiftsWeights

ADHD, Medication and Building Muscle

I have a friend who is ADHD, taking ritalin and quetiapine.. he's beyond strong but has difficulty adding muscle mass which I'm baffled on. His training needs honing in but tbh any average Joe would see results from the same application of training so my question is
1. Does Ritalin or Quetiapine affect hormonal levels, test, natural hgh levels etc
And 2. Can he take a sarm such as rad140 or mk677 without adding any strain to his system. Will it work or are his natural hormonal levels already/or will become too compromised? Thank you

Or does already having ADHD during childhood or the introduction of medication during childhood present hormonal changes that could extend onto adulthood? Especially during the pre-pubescent stages? Anyone with ADHD please chime in. My boys a beast and deserves to look like one!

17 hours ago, SheLiftsWeights said:

Or does already having ADHD during childhood or the introduction of medication during childhood present hormonal changes that could extend onto adulthood? Especially during the pre-pubescent stages? Anyone with ADHD please chime in. My boys a beast and deserves to look like one!

Maybe look into the mechanisms of ADHD and how to negate it with lifestyle changes ..

Knock out junk food: Sugars, grains, vegetable seed oils (especially omega-6).. Increase omega-3 consumption, as well as other healthy fats: 8 and 10 carbon MCT oils..

Limit LED exposure from TV's, gaming devices, mobile phones etc..

17 hours ago, SheLiftsWeights said:

I have a friend who is ADHD, taking ritalin and quetiapine.. he's beyond strong but has difficulty adding muscle mass which I'm baffled on. His training needs honing in but tbh any average Joe would see results from the same application of training so my question is
1. Does Ritalin or Quetiapine affect hormonal levels, test, natural hgh levels etc
And 2. Can he take a sarm such as rad140 or mk677 without adding any strain to his system. Will it work or are his natural hormonal levels already/or will become too compromised? Thank you

This paper might suggest not, although the study was only 4 weeks in design:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5408967/

1 minute ago, Daz69 said:

This paper might suggest not, although the study was only 4 weeks in design:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5408967/

This might suggest they could progress through puberty slower between 14-16 yrs..

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2013/198/1/growth-and-pubertal-development-adolescent-boys-stimulant-medication-attention

I’ve had so so so many clients with ADHD who never struggled to make gains. Quetiapine can effect metabolism so taking it consistently can weaken the ability to burn body fat but generally speaking if you’re asking if what he’s doing is causing him to make no gains the answer is no.

diet probably isn’t good and training probably needs to be addressed. The “probably” part was me being polite 

On 31/05/2020 at 5:05 PM, SheLiftsWeights said:

Just noticed his meds, he shouldn't be taking Quetiapine, look into significantly changing lifestyle factors..

On 4/06/2020 at 6:26 AM, Daz69 said:

Just noticed his meds, he shouldn't be taking Quetiapine, look into significantly changing lifestyle factors..

Quetiapine in general, quetiapine for muscle growth (or interacting with mk677) or quetiapine for ADHD? Thanks Daz really appreciate your input. He's struggles to shift out of his current training mindset but is well aware his training and nutrition both need to be honed in. Crazy though,his lifts could put him in a powerlifting competition tomorrow - the guys ridiculously strong.

I really really appreciate everyone's input. No need to dial back for politeness just tell it straight and I'll relay politely ;) 

Thinking of trying him on mk677 for a week at 2.5mg nightly. Not to gauge on strength but on how it interacts with his meds and get an overall gauge on any change in wellbeing. Yes he could go 5 or 10 but a babystep approach here is safest 

5 hours ago, SheLiftsWeights said:

Quetiapine in general, quetiapine for muscle growth (or interacting with mk677) or quetiapine for ADHD? Thanks Daz really appreciate your input. He's struggles to shift out of his current training mindset but is well aware his training and nutrition both need to be honed in. Crazy though,his lifts could put him in a powerlifting competition tomorrow - the guys ridiculously strong.

I really really appreciate everyone's input. No need to dial back for politeness just tell it straight and I'll relay politely ;) 

Thinking of trying him on mk677 for a week at 2.5mg nightly. Not to gauge on strength but on how it interacts with his meds and get an overall gauge on any change in wellbeing. Yes he could go 5 or 10 but a babystep approach here is safest 

What are his numbers?

Zero point taking anything until you know what your hormones are right now.

What is is free test, hemoglobin, e2 and shbg?

How old?

Height and weight?

Better not to mix meds with peptides. That can be a real bad experiment for some people who already have mental epidsodes :(