NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sarge

Lumbar spine. Possibly pinched nerve. Weight Belt

As title says, I’ve got a killer lumber injury. I’ve been down for about two weeks now. 
still get pins and needles in toes and fingers on occasion and the back is still tender. 
takes me a good 30 seconds after sitting or laying down to be able to fully stand completely upright. But once I’m moving it’s ok. 

Anyways. Question. 
Does anyone use their lift belts during all or most of their lifts? Dead’s/squats/Bent rows/ hamstring work etc regardless of weight? 
Even for lighter weights? 
do you think this would help?

well aware of the theory regarding weight belts and eliminating the use of your own natural postural muscles. Hence I’ve never used them. But every now and then I’m fucking myself up. 

have a mate who uses them religiously and won’t squat or dead over 120kg. 

thoughts? 
opinions?

cheers

Sarge

What did you injure? What’s your training goal like is it powerlifting or BB?

I was out for 18months and really until 2yrs I got back to being able to go full out, I strained a muscle in low back and hamstring which pinched a muscle deep in my hip and kept aggravating the sciatic nerve. I never used the belt only on the heaviest lifts like say a 5rep dead or bent over row. Squats not really. The belt would compress the injury worse so I just worked on strengthening the lower back and hamstring and stretching like a muthafucker worked a charm.

maybe it’s different case for you but I just don’t think they’re needed unless it’s a powerlifting double or max lift?