Keto

kwchch

• 1 month later...

lemon pepper tuna, eggs, bacon, steak, avocado, crackle, pork, the list goes on. Depends on goals aswell. First 3 months of training I was able to build muscle and lose fat. Starting weight was 91kg after 3 months dropped down to 78 kgs with all my lifts going up in the gym. That diet consisted of intermittent fasting, being on a good keto diet which consisted off 1 can of Lemon pepper tuna to break my fast at lunch then have my next meal 5.30 which consisted of just meat, snacked on pork crackle and had my protein shake to keep my protein high

• 1 year later...

There was a great documentary on TV recently, called Fat -v- Sugar, presented by identical twin doctors. One had a carbohydrate diet and the other, no/low carb. It was the one on the predominantly protein & fat (ie not carbs) diet who was just a few points off being diabetic after the one month of the trial. He was advised to stop immediately and was genuinely shocked by the results. Like most of us, he thought his carb-eating brother, (ie sugars of different sorts) would be the one damaging his health.

While they showed that sugar's bad for you, food with the combination of 50% sugar/50% fat (eg ice cream or doughnuts) is actually addictive and the #1 culprit in our obesity epidemic.

Meanwhile, they also showed that the weight lost on a ketosis diet (non carb), isn't just fat. After all, the body needs to get its energy from somewhere and gets it, not just from fat, but also from your muscle. More than half the weight lost was muscle loss. That can lead to poor health and serious disease including diabetes.

Also, of course, the less muscle you have, the less energy you need, so the more excess food is converted to ..... fat!

It seems that any 'diet' is a very bad idea for our health.

Drs Chris and Xand van Tulleken were the guinea pigs in the Horizon programme on BBC TV. Xand went on a high-fat, low-sugar diet; Chris did the opposite – and ate a carb-loaded diet.

They are of course, biologically identical. They share the same DNA, which made them perfect for the experiment.

Chris's could eat more calories on his carb-heavy blowout - but still felt hungry.
Xand's high-protein/fat diet made him feel fuller as fat tends to suppress hunger. It also has twice the calories, gram for gram than sugar and our body converts fat into body fat more easily.

Having said all that – not everyone’s in agreement. Dr Hannah Sutter says their conclusions were based on bad science. Have a look at this: https://whatroseknows.com/keto-bodytone-review/ It’s no wonder so many people are struggling with weight and health. Even when we go to the extra effort to dig deeper to discover how to take care of ourselves – we’re still faced with misleading ‘information’.

On 22/12/2020 at 5:51 AM, Gabora said:

There was a great documentary on TV recently, called Fat -v- Sugar, presented by identical twin doctors. One had a carbohydrate diet and the other, no/low carb. It was the one on the predominantly protein & fat (ie not carbs) diet who was just a few points off being diabetic after the one month of the trial. He was advised to stop immediately and was genuinely shocked by the results. Like most of us, he thought his carb-eating brother, (ie sugars of different sorts) would be the one damaging his health.

By what testing methods did they infer keto induced pre-diabetes..???

Hyperinsulinemia, elevated triglycerides,  lowered, and dysfunctional HDL, > Oxidised/glycated/sdLDL, increased adipose and visceral fat, hypertension etc are all deleterious markers of excess carbohydrate metabolism, not fat oxidation..