What cardio and how much is best for trying to put on size?

Tainui-toa

Kia ora

I have been playing rep rugby all through the age group teams and have found a new passion in lifting weights. Im going to have next season off as all the niggling injuries involoved with rugby really effects my weight sessions. But i also want to keep fit to a certain extent. I weigh in now at around 83kgs and i stand at 182-3cms. My goal is to be around the 95-6kg mark by March next year. I was just wondering for me to reach this goal what is the best cardio? Would a couple of P/b 3km runs a week be the go or a slow jog, a hill walk? Any feed back is very much appreciated.

As Shazza said, best for size is none at all. But if you must make sure you eat more to compensate for what's burnt.

Beep test. Best way to get fit imo. Compare it to running 5kms, if you are less fit, it'll take you more time. Intensity is constant and usually not that high. The beep test is progressive overload cardio, it forces you to run faster and faster (gets more and more intense) and you can make increases by just aiming for a higher score.

Here's a link to download it:

http://www.defence.gov.au/army/hq8bde/jobs/fitness.htm

(I'm just going to put it on my ipod when I start cardio again).

• 3 weeks later...
As Shazza said, best for size is none at all. But if you must make sure you eat more to compensate for what's burnt.

Beep test. Best way to get fit imo. Compare it to running 5kms, if you are less fit, it'll take you more time. Intensity is constant and usually not that high. The beep test is progressive overload cardio, it forces you to run faster and faster (gets more and more intense) and you can make increases by just aiming for a higher score.

Here's a link to download it:

http://www.defence.gov.au/army/hq8bde/jobs/fitness.htm

(I'm just going to put it on my ipod when I start cardio again).

Wicked I havnt done the beep test in years... Ill have to see how much ive deterioted since my rugger days lol... Nice one bro

• 2 weeks later...

A good start would be just to go for an hour walk upon waking or if you have one an hour on the stationary bike. Work up a slight sweat but dont go hardcore. The reason why this is so good is that the majority of calories you are burning comes from fat, if you were to run you'd be eating up more muscle and lowering your metabolism.

But consistensy is the key more than anything else, if you dont start and be consistent you'll find your still at square one wondering where the months gone...

Thanks pure. Umm yeah I have been out of my cast now for 2 weeks and have been given 4-6 more weeks off work as the ligaments or something are still buggerd. I was doing alot of cardio before I broke my ankle and thats exactly what was happening. I was also wondering about HIIT cardio training. Cause this would also be very beneficial for rugby wouldnt it. Please let me no what you think.

P.S.. I wont be trying it for atleast another 6 weeks but it would be good to just no what would b best for when im back in action

Haha, sorry bro didnt read your original post... my brains not functioning 100% due to low carbs :pfft:

Ive had good results from HIIT in the past, I did the following

Jog 30 Seconds

Sprint 20 Seconds

Jog 60 Seconds

Sprint 30 Seconds

Jog 90 Seconds

Sprint 40 Seconds

Jog 120 Seconds

Sprint 50 Seconds

Jog 150 Seconds

Sprint 60 Seconds

Jog 180 Seconds

Sprint 70 Seconds

Total time 15 minutes

Youll be screwed by the end man trust me..

Make sure you get a shake with Carbs both before and After as it burns into your glycogen storage....

You could also get a sled and pull that round a park, I havnt tried it yet but Im thinking about getting one and trying something like this.

Walk with sled to one side of a field, drop it and sprint to the otherside and back and repeat for a set number of sled pulls... I would imagine that would do wonders for conditioning.

Shot pure that sounds mean. How the hell did you keep track of how long you were doing and what you needed to do cause even with a watch once you started to get tired you would have found it difficult to concentrate on that wouldnt you.

Thanks alot for the feedback and as soon as I can start running again i will give it a crack

I just used a stopwatch ay, the sprints go up 10sec each interval so I workout what im upto during my jog (which was slow enough to get my breath back)

Do your first few sessions on an elliptical trainer or stat bike just to get the hang of it..

You can find out more on T-Nation.com theres heaps of info on all sorts of training stuff.. The article I got that from was "The Running Man" by Christian Thibideau