ACL Reconstruction Recovery

PLUSH

Does anyone have any experience on restoring muscle mass after an ACL reconstruction. Having issues restoring muscle mass on operated leg. 

Interested to hear from anyone who has used orals especially as I have a terrible disposition to needles. 

14 hours ago, PLUSH said:

Does anyone have any experience on restoring muscle mass after an ACL reconstruction. Having issues restoring muscle mass on operated leg. 

Interested to hear from anyone who has used orals especially as I have a terrible disposition to needles. 

Lots of stretches and warm ups, start off low weight increasing as you are able, with mainly compound exercises..

Keep nutrition optimal, full fat meats, plenty fresh vegetables (as many colours as possible), berries, walnuts, macadamias (no peanuts).. Avocados, olives, cook  only in butter..

Try bone broth with collagen..

Any steroid will increase healing time but unfortunately compromise collagen composition making the end tissues more brittle and prone to rupture..

With all injuries, surgeries and rehabs the most important thing is getting the full range of motion back. That’s the first thing you should be aiming to do before you even think about strengthening it or building muscle around it. With an acl injury you should able to fully straighten out your leg after the rehab has been done right. If you can’t then you aren’t using or working your quad muscle to it’s full capacity and that’s why people have trouble building muscle and strength after such injuries - they haven’t rehabbed properly and have lost rom in the leg. If you can’t move through full rom then you can’t build muscle and strength as good as you can using full rom.

no reason why it can’t be as good as it were before. If you don’t do things properly you can end up favouring the other knee without even knowing you’re doing it. This is why people often do their acl on other leg after they have had other fixed.

so get your rom back then build strength and muscle will come.

my brother tore his acl about 18 months ago in a ncaa soccer game. It’s a long road to a full and proper recovery. 

30 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

With all injuries, surgeries and rehabs the most important thing is getting the full range of motion back. That’s the first thing you should be aiming to do before you even think about strengthening it or building muscle around it. With an acl injury you should able to fully straighten out your leg after the rehab has been done right. If you can’t then you aren’t using or working your quad muscle to it’s full capacity and that’s why people have trouble building muscle and strength after such injuries - they haven’t rehabbed properly and have lost rom in the leg. If you can’t move through full rom then you can’t build muscle and strength as good as you can using full rom.

no reason why it can’t be as good as it were before. If you don’t do things properly you can end up favouring the other knee without even knowing you’re doing it. This is why people often do their acl on other leg after they have had other fixed.

so get your rom back then build strength and muscle will come.

my brother tore his acl about 18 months ago in a ncaa soccer game. It’s a long road to a full and proper recovery. 

Thanks so much. I'm near 4 months. Can jog, bike and have full range motion. Was fortunate my hamstring was able to be reattached where they took the graft so I got back on my feet pretty quick. Just fighting the baby quad syndrome. Seem to have plateau . Lot people say it's a good 18 months to been a full human again !!!

Thanks for the input!!!