NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Edzel

Pull up form check

Hello everyone. I am wondering if something is wrong with my pull up form and shoulder in general.
My right shoulder has always been bigger and more defined than the left, though the left shoulder is more flexible than the right(i can dislocate it further to the back, if it makes sense)

I am not too bothered with the size imbalance because im still skinny and i think it will even out as i train and grow, however only recently i discovered it is unevenly working even in exercises like pullups, dips and OHP.

Is this normal? Or are my shoulders going to be screwed later on lol.

Try slowing down and engaging the muscles. Think about what you’re doing as opposed to just pulling yourself up. Sounds silly I know because it’s called a pull up lol.

To fix imbalances and weakness’ in movement you have to break it down and identify the weakest part and work forward from there (movement screening). Start doing pull ups with banded assistance for example, focus on what you’re doing.

Id also probably go to a physio and get them to take a look. But likely it’s bad habits that have been trained in. See it all the time with people who don’t know how to lift then couple years later they can’t fix it because they have trained to move like that and they won’t drop the weight because they have ego and they never fix it.

I attached another pics showing clearer difference in shoulder position as i do weighted pull up.

At hanging position, they appear symmetrical but as i started pulling myself up they are not engaged equally. Am i overthinking this?

Hanging.JPG

Started pulling.JPG

This is why no one posts on this forum anymore. I just spent a few minutes posting a reply to you with helpful info then you post a pic doing the complete opposite. Why are you adding weight to something you can’t even do properly without weight? 

On 11/7/2018 at 9:48 AM, Realtalk said:

This is why no one posts on this forum anymore. I just spent a few minutes posting a reply to you with helpful info then you post a pic doing the complete opposite. Why are you adding weight to something you can’t even do properly without weight? 

Yea sorry that weighted post was meant to show the imbalance because it is not as apparent when im just pulling bw. I was typing that post before your comment showed up.

Btw i will try those advices up. I think the weakness might be in the intitial pull