NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
nzpoontang

AAS and depression

Hey. Just wanting to hear from people with experience the kinds of mental effects people get while on cycle and post cycle, especially people who are prone to depression/on anti depressants 

Cheers

I suffer from bouts of depression regardless being ON or OFF more so when I’m off! 

Post cycle anxiety and depression can become overwhelming maybe it’s because in my head I feel smaller and weaker then when I’m ON?  all I know is I must stay physically active keep up the cardio etc and keep my meals clean this does help me... eitherwise it’s down hill fast 

If you are on anti depressants then you have no bussiness using AAS.

I dont know about everyone else but I’m ‘mental healthed out’. That’s all you hear about these days, most of it is  a crock of shit.

Why do you say you have no business with aas while on anti depressants? And yeah I know what you mean with the whole "mental health " talk. I'm more asking with regards to people with genuine depression who have been on meds long term

10 hours ago, nzpoontang said:

Why do you say you have no business with aas while on anti depressants? And yeah I know what you mean with the whole "mental health " talk. I'm more asking with regards to people with genuine depression who have been on meds long term

Various AAS contribute to differing mechanisms of mood disorder, especially estrogen, as it modulates serotonin via the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase..

8 hours ago, Daz69 said:

Various AAS contribute to differing mechanisms of mood disorder, especially estrogen, as it modulates serotonin via the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase..

Would taking supplements such as 5-htp help to regulate the effects on cycle? And I am talking about a very basic, low dose cycle like 300-400mg test e per week, 8-10 weeks

41 minutes ago, nzpoontang said:

Would taking supplements such as 5-htp help to regulate the effects on cycle? And I am talking about a very basic, low dose cycle like 300-400mg test e per week, 8-10 weeks

There is some thought regards 5-htp being unable to pass the blood brain barrier in significant amounts to have any therapeutic effect.. I believe I read somewhere vit-B6 needs to be present for conversion to take place (BUT NOT AS A SUPPLEMENT) only in diet, as the presence of B6 taken in conjunction with 5-htp would cause conversion to serotonin in the gut (where the majority of bodily serotonin generally resides), not conversion in the brain neurons (where you would prefer)..

Lack of serotonin is not normally a problem on-cycle, it is generally post cycle where problems tend to arise (when estrogen is normally out of whack)..

Keeping to a lower dose (as you propose) and tapering off towards the end of cycle, plus eating the correct nutrients should negate any/most depressive problems post cycle..  

In short, what your hormones are doing affects your mental state/wellbeing. It’s throwing another spanner in the works which might help you feel good about for yourself the duration of the cycle, but afterwards? 

People just think about being on and that 8-15 weeks. So what about afterwards, because that is part of using too.