NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community

Hey Guys!

Do you recommend any particular brand tape for thumbs? I've been using Goat tape before and it is very good but overpriced. 

Cheers

Sorry to answer your question with a question - and particularly sorry if mine is a stupid question (I'm not a powerlifter, but since no powerlifters have replied yet...)

What do you use the tape for? Is it for wrapping the thumbs on deadlifts? And is that for protection, or extra grip?

My first thought is simply some strapping tape - either 3M or some of the sports brands. You'll find it in the first aid section of the supermarket, and it's probably a lot cheaper than something that's made specifically for a very small niche market. Would that do the job?

Hey!  Thanks for that, there aren't stupid questions :) 

I tape my thumbs just for protection, as soon I start to lift the bar for cleans or snatches, the friction between the bar and the thumb rips the skin.

theres some special brand tapes people use when training thumbs for hook grip, google found it for me

https://www.roguefitness.com/rocktape-hook-grip-tape

you can also buy those rubber nubs/thumb condom looking things that some people use

i dont hook grip so haven't tried either. figured itd be just regular strapping tape more or less with a fancy label though./

Hey @maccaz thanks for replying! 

I've used that one and Goat tape; they are very good but totally overpriced. I heard too about those rubber nubs, but they look quite slippery. 

11 hours ago, rodboc said:

Hey!  Thanks for that, there aren't stupid questions :) 

I tape my thumbs just for protection, as soon I start to lift the bar for cleans or snatches, the friction between the bar and the thumb rips the skin.

Well, in that case, maybe it's worth giving this a try...

https://shop.countdown.co.nz/shop/productdetails?stockcode=757017&name=d3-dressing-tape-rigid-strapping&searchString=tape

$16 for 27m of tape. That should last you a few thumb wraps! :-p