Best power bar and maybe deadlift bar

I've been saving a little bit of cash up and migh5 be in the market for a proper power bar. If i keep saving up i could add a deadlif5 bar to that. So weighing up my options. I have a solid strength power bar but wanting to step it up

1. Force USA power bar.

Have heard these have decent  knurling. Cheap price. Designed in USA  and built in China I assume. No reviews online really

2. Valhalla power/deadlift bar. 

28mm for power bar which is smaller than most and not ipf approved. Most power bars seem to be at least 28.5. Limited reviews, made in aus. Pretty expensive. 12 month warranty

3. Rouge Ohio power/deadlift. Most positive reviews of almost any bars. Ipf specs. Lifetime warranty. Seems to have established the standard for power bars. Have to ship from aus so might have duty. Will probably end up costing the same or slightly less than the valhallas 

My pick is the rouge. Let me know what everyone thinks and if there's another option 

3 hours ago, Bigken1985 said:

I've been saving a little bit of cash up and migh5 be in the market for a proper power bar. If i keep saving up i could add a deadlif5 bar to that. So weighing up my options. I have a solid strength power bar but wanting to step it up

1. Force USA power bar.

Have heard these have decent  knurling. Cheap price. Designed in USA  and built in China I assume. No reviews online really

2. Valhalla power/deadlift bar. 

28mm for power bar which is smaller than most and not ipf approved. Most power bars seem to be at least 28.5. Limited reviews, made in aus. Pretty expensive. 12 month warranty

3. Rouge Ohio power/deadlift. Most positive reviews of almost any bars. Ipf specs. Lifetime warranty. Seems to have established the standard for power bars. Have to ship from aus so might have duty. Will probably end up costing the same or slightly less than the valhallas 

My pick is the rouge. Let me know what everyone thinks and if there's another option 

force usa is rubbish.

valhalla is just a australian barbell co bar with sharper knurling and more expensive. theyre made at australia barbell co.

rogue ive heard very good things but never used.

On 09/05/2018 at 9:43 PM, maccaz said:

force usa is rubbish.

valhalla is just a australian barbell co bar with sharper knurling and more expensive. theyre made at australia barbell co.

rogue ive heard very good things but never used.

Rouge it is. What bars do you normally lift with ?

11 hours ago, Bigken1985 said:

Rouge it is. What bars do you normally lift with ?

its a mix mate, always deadlift with texas or okie or rogue deadlift bar.

gyms i go to have power bars (for bench and sometimes squat) rogue, texas, or australia barbell co power bar

ill squat with those, but if im lucky use a texas or okie or sportskraft squat bar.

ive gotten fussy becase spoilt for choice, a power bar is fine to squat with imo.

I would go with the rouge bar, I have used the USA force bar and the Valhalla bar both are nothing great. 

Ohio bar looks good haven’t used either though. I’m thinking about buying one but the duty is a c*nt and I emailed them asking if they can remove the Australian tax from the price but they won’t. So you have to pay both Australian and New Zealand tax on the bar plus shipping and an entry fee of like $50.. 

Texas power bar is terrible for squatting, far to whippy 

What do these bars cost to buy? I'm about to make a trip to Aussie to buy an underwater camera housing, because it's cheaper to do that and bring it home yourself, than import it and pay for shipping and NZ's GST, duties, etc. Plus you can claim Aussie's GST back at the airport.

Depending on the cost of this bar, you might find the same maths works for you too.

7 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

What do these bars cost to buy? I'm about to make a trip to Aussie to buy an underwater camera housing, because it's cheaper to do that and bring it home yourself, than import it and pay for shipping and NZ's GST, duties, etc. Plus you can claim Aussie's GST back at the airport.

Depending on the cost of this bar, you might find the same maths works for you too.

Rogue deadlift and power bar bout 450aud each. 

texas/okie deadlift about 1000aud

texas/okie squat about 1500aud 

aus bb co power bar about 400aud 

new brands coming out worth looking at is “Goliath”. Made in aus, promoted by Eric Lilliebridge. I’m told the deadlift bar is very good and affordable. Dunno the price. 

In the scheme of things, bars aren’t that expensive when you look at how much decent plates cost. Seems mental to me a set of Comp plates can get to 4K or more lol 

3 hours ago, maccaz said:

my mate got one recently, sounds good. its a bit cheaper isnt it? 

Yeah. It would be almost 100nzd cheaper . They are 370aud over there which is a nice deal. Tbh you may be paying for the rouge name a bit with the opb. Def on my radar

• 4 weeks later...

Getting to be a bit old, but did you end up finding a good barbell, Big Ken?

Also, can you let me know why you want to upgrade from the Solid Strength Power Bar?  I'm a bit of a powerlifter too and was about to buy one myself but noticed this thread and it raised a couple alarm bells!

23 hours ago, Benchmann said:

Getting to be a bit old, but did you end up finding a good barbell, Big Ken?

Also, can you let me know why you want to upgrade from the Solid Strength Power Bar?  I'm a bit of a powerlifter too and was about to buy one myself but noticed this thread and it raised a couple alarm bells!

Absolutely nothing wrong with the SS bars I'll still use mine. I just bought a Valhalla power bar. It's just a step up in terms of stiffness and knurling

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Big Ken.  A barbell has to be one of the hardest things to research online, so the info is appreciated.  I'll probably get an SS one then, I wish it was in stock at the moment, tossing up between that and the Powerfit power bar, there's less info on the Powerfit one but it's $360 delivered vs $460 for the SS one.

• 1 year later...

I got screwed around a while trying to get a SS bar, waited a couple months, still out of stock, so took a punt and got a bar from Invade Fitness.  Had it well over a year now, and it's still like new.  Not really a hardcore power bar, but I think lurkers here looking for a barbell would be interested in them, they're a very good price too.  It feels good to use.  190k psi, doesn't have a huge amount of spin but I don't care about that, and it's equal on each side which is the important part.  Nice guy to deal with too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...