EEEEEK! HELP!

My physio just told me today that I have to go easy on my squats, lunges etc because I'm having knee problems at the minute. (Actually my leg muscle is tight & is pulling up my kneecap...)

Any suggestions on some effective alternatives to squats/lunges?

i dont think your going to find alternatives that are as effective as squats.. but you could give things like legpress, hacks etc a go and see what you think..

although if the actual muscle is pulling at your kneecap.. why not just some stretching.. would this help ?

because if its the muslce pulling on the kneecap .. although i dont understand how this could happen.. then no leg exercise will work will it ? because its not ex. related .. like knee pain from a certain rom or not.. its the muscle pulling on the kneecap somehow.

I'm certainly no expert, so it would pay to ask your physio, but...

If the problem is your quads are too tight, and squats and lunges will only make them tighter, wouldn't any alternative quad excerise do the same as well? Sounds like it's a muscle imbalance, and your quads are overpowering the other muscles. Maybe a lot of stretching is needed...

I read an article on stretching recently - I'll see if I can dig it up. :)

EDIT: Ooh.. Jono beat me to it! :D

Do you do your squats with your heels raised? - I've heard this can cause knee problems, also your hamstrings apparently stabilise your knees and if your quads overpower too much or if they are not flexible enough I've heard it can also cause problems.