NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
armorbear

Tradie gains

Hello all, thought i'd say gidday

I'm a tradie that looks like a bit of a kid on the site, so looking for some decent gains to perform better at my job and smash the beach scene :)

Also keen for other tradies to share their tips for meals/nutrition when on the tools and travelling etc. don't always have the luxury of a microwave...lol

Chur,

On 14/03/2018 at 8:20 PM, armorbear said:

Also keen for other tradies to share their tips for meals/nutrition when on the tools and travelling etc. don't always have the luxury of a microwave...lol

There's heaps of options for meals to you can pack and eat on site - you definitely don't need a microwave, mate! Eat out of your tupperware/ClipIt boxes.

Protein shakes are your best friend - cheap, quick and easy to prepare. And don't bother with a mass gainer... just add a sandwich or fruit for some extra carbs.

Tinned tuna comes in various flavours. It's good for convenience, but it costs a bit more. Plus, you should feel guilty about humans eating tuna to the verge of extinction, and I find that spoils the taste!

Chicken is awesome. Poach a bunch of chicken breasts (like this), and take one to work each day. It'll be fine out of the fridge until lunchtime, but if in doubt, grab one of those cheap cooler bags from the supermarket.

Ideas for turning plain chicken into a full, tasty meal:

- Slice it and put on top of pasta, and pour pasta sauce over the top. Add a source of fat like cheese, olive oil, olives, etc.

- Cut it into cubes, and mix with roast/boiled potatoes/kumara/pumpkin. Add other veges like capsicum/fresh tomatoes/sundried tomatoes/whatever you like. Add cheese if you want. Drizzle with vinaigrette or some other dressing - even balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

- Put on rice. Add sauce.

- Put on couscous. Add sauce.

Starting to see a pattern here? :-D 

I do one or two meals of protein shake + carb source for morning and afternoon tea, then chicken meal for lunch. Hope that helps.

I'm Bob the builder too.

On Friday I had:

1000 calorie protein shake

2 x peanut butter and jam sandwich for 1000 cals (40g PB and 60g jam in each from memory)

1/2 a bag of farmbake cookies for 840 cals

bag of cheezels 800 cals

200g Cadbury Black Forest chocolate 1000 cals

about 500 cals of ice cream

I try to eat hard during the week, and then take it easy at the weekend.

On 4/16/2018 at 12:07 AM, Pseudonym said:

:-o 

If that's what builders eat, I need to change jobs!

I get a lot of comments for the not-"healthy" lunches...

Usually see two pies and a soft drink for $4 in there too, but that must have been a well-provisioned day!

Need to do better with protein though.  More, and get them eggs and mince more often.  That can be hard at work.

2l flavoured or normal milk is also great.