NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Isaac

First GPC powerlifting meet at 16

Hey im new to the forum, ill be competing at GPC Wellington Regional 3 Lift on april 15th.

Ive been reading up on how to prepare for a first meet, so this is how ill be doing it:

Arrive 14th for weigh in and seminar (competing in open mens under 82.5kg).

Morning of 15th, medium breakfast. Bring lots of water, electrolytes and snacks.

Squat attempts:

180kg

190kg

200kg-210kg depending on how im feeling

Bench attempts:

120kg

130kg

135kg-140kg depending on how im feeling

Deadlifts:

200kg

220kg

230kg-240kg depending on how im feeling

Any help and/or tips would be appreciated

Most of my training footage and prep will be on my instagram: @isaaclee_fitness

Hey man, welcome to the forum! Those are good numbers!

We've had a few members compete with GPC (and others), and I'm sure they'll share any tips they can. Why not start a training journal so we can see what you're up to? You can embed all your IG posts in there, and you might even pick up a few new followers. :-p 

Attempt increments look reasonable, typically rookie mistake is large jumps in attempts. 

Take plenty of food. 

Will you be water depleting for weigh-in ? 

I had a quick look at your Instagram. Open lighter would be my advice bro, that doesn’t have to mean you’ll finish with  a smaller total either. But it means you’ll build much more confidence as the attempts roll through and won’t run into any problems missing your first then panicking on your 2nd attempt. Remember the weights can go up in as minimal as 2.5kg increments not 10kg increments, you don’t have to round it to the nearest 10 kilogram number.

Most importantly have fun and enjoy the event. 

3 hours ago, jimmybro1 said:

Attempt increments look reasonable, typically rookie mistake is large jumps in attempts. 

Take plenty of food. 

Will you be water depleting for weigh-in ? 

Ill probably drop 1 or 2kgs as its a 24hr weigh in so ill be fine to to it. Im just doing it because im on the edge of the 82.5 catagory, weighing 82-83kg

51 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

I had a quick look at your Instagram. Open lighter would be my advice bro, that doesn’t have to mean you’ll finish with  a smaller total either. But it means you’ll build much more confidence as the attempts roll through and won’t run into any problems missing your first then panicking on your 2nd attempt. Remember the weights can go up in as minimal as 2.5kg increments not 10kg increments, you don’t have to round it to the nearest 10 kilogram number.

Most importantly have fun and enjoy the event. 

Thanks for the advice, i might have a lower opener on squats as i dont want to tire myself out for  bench and deads.

do you wear knee wraps?

tip i have is to time yourself wrapping, to avoid any stress on the day not knowing when to start wrapping before your attempts

On 5/14/2018 at 8:52 AM, GyzzBrah said:

Lol how the f*ck to be that strong when 16.

When you start lifting?

a guy over here, in qld, went 300/180/280 @ 15yo, about 150kg bw  in his first meet in wraps lol

18 minutes ago, maccaz said:

a guy over here, in qld, went 300/180/280 @ 15yo, about 150kg bw  in his first meet in wraps lol

Natty thou 

On 13/05/2018 at 2:04 PM, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

holy crap, you're 16? or is that a typo lol, anyways how'd ya go bro?

Not a typo bro haha. ended up with 215/130/230 and 575kg total videos are all on my instagram @isaaclee_fitness

On 5/18/2018 at 1:43 PM, Isaac said:

Not a typo bro haha. ended up with 215/130/230 and 575kg total videos are all on my instagram @isaaclee_fitness

good shit dude, id love to be that strong when im your age.. oh wait i'm almost 20 years too late for setting myself that goal ;-D