NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Wantmoregainz

Test levels & advice

Hey guys,

Newbie here.

Been training & lifting heavy for around 5 years now. 34 years old - Auckland based.
Currently sitting at 103kg at 178cm and around 12-14% BF.

Still get slow progressing / gains but every time I cut, I just seem to struggle maintaining the definition / size I've put on.
Looking to build up the upper chest / trap / shoulder / arms areas - and I know this is where AAS can really make a big impact.

Anyway - a few questions to kick things off.

Went in for some routine regular checkups the other day & doc asked if I wanted bloods done.
Said yup - can I get all the regular ones - and also is it possible to do Testosterone.

He was instantly like - boom - why?? Are you taking steroids? haha.
I fumbled around, nah - just curious to see my levels, bit low sex drive, etc etc. He seemed to buy it but was also hella suspicious haha.

So first question - how do you guys approach this with your doctor? Do you straight up tell them you take / plan to take steroids?
Or is there a way to get these bloods / results done without needing a doctor referral??

Second - my reading came back as " Testosterone 12.3 nmol/l (8.7 - 29.0) " - which I'm assuming means I measured 12.3 and the normal range is between 8.7 > 29.
He's reassured me that it's all good .... but to me that seems on the very low end of the spectrum??

At this stage, if I end up taking the plunge and doing a cycle (never had any AAS experiments before) - based on the research I've done so far, I'd probably look at running test only, for 12 weeks or so, and just seeing what happens.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

On 19/12/2017 at 2:42 PM, Wantmoregainz said:

Hey guys,

Newbie here.

Been training & lifting heavy for around 5 years now. 34 years old - Auckland based.
Currently sitting at 103kg at 178cm and around 12-14% BF.

Still get slow progressing / gains but every time I cut, I just seem to struggle maintaining the definition / size I've put on.
Looking to build up the upper chest / trap / shoulder / arms areas - and I know this is where AAS can really make a big impact.

Anyway - a few questions to kick things off.

Went in for some routine regular checkups the other day & doc asked if I wanted bloods done.
Said yup - can I get all the regular ones - and also is it possible to do Testosterone.

He was instantly like - boom - why?? Are you taking steroids? haha.
I fumbled around, nah - just curious to see my levels, bit low sex drive, etc etc. He seemed to buy it but was also hella suspicious haha.

So first question - how do you guys approach this with your doctor? Do you straight up tell them you take / plan to take steroids?
Or is there a way to get these bloods / results done without needing a doctor referral??

Second - my reading came back as " Testosterone 12.3 nmol/l (8.7 - 29.0) " - which I'm assuming means I measured 12.3 and the normal range is between 8.7 > 29.
He's reassured me that it's all good .... but to me that seems on the very low end of the spectrum??

At this stage, if I end up taking the plunge and doing a cycle (never had any AAS experiments before) - based on the research I've done so far, I'd probably look at running test only, for 12 weeks or so, and just seeing what happens.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Find a PathLab and pay private, even if you have to travel some distance..

Check Total testosterone, LH, FSH.. (don't think they test free test, or sensitive estradiol, so don't bother with estrogen)..

Try 250mg/week spilt into 125mg X 2/week, taper off last 2 weeks (100mg, 50mg/week, OFF)..

To avoid oxidative damage to testes on cycle, supplement with taurine 3-5g/day, royal jelly 1g/day whilst on cycle... (this is important for optimal testes function, and recovery  post cycle)..

Chur - thanks Daz :) 

Can you pay to do private test @ LabTests, or only PathLab?? 

Thanks for the dosage tips too.

@hamdanz ... sorry bro, that's just what the scales tell me. Haven't done calipers for a while so maybe BF has crept a little, but haven't been less than 90kg since I was at high school.  Abs are fairly defined at the moment tho so I'm guesstimating I'm still in that 12-14% ish range.

Depending on how much you want tested, and how obliging your doctor is, you can try getting them to arrange it. It's a perfectly legitimate request to want to know your test levels - whether you're on AAS or not. Just tell them (as you did) that you suspect your test levels might be low, or that you're about to try some herbal test booster and want to see if it works.

But if your shopping list of things to check gets too long (as it probably should be if you're doing pre-cycle bloods), then yeah... book yourself in for a private test.

When ever i have played with gear I have been 100% straight up with my doc. They are not allowed to talk about your medical history to anyone. Its confidential.  The problem occurs when most doctors are clueless about testosterone / steroid use etc. 
Where abouts are you Wantmoregainz ,  depending where you are I could possibly put you on to a very helpful doctor.