NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Sarmed

Squat form check. Butt wink?

Hi People

So was ill for a little while and when I got back decided to squat 3 times a week starting from 40kg (with 2.5kg progression) till I can get to my old 5 rep max (87.5kg)

Came upto 60kg and felt a sprain in my lower back, decided to film myself. Did 60 kg that entire week (27th Nov to 1st Dec)

Its all in one video the last day is probably the best camera angle. Appreciate all the advice guys

27th Nov: start

29th Nove: (1:21) https://youtu.be/bPuT-5CGtQo?t=81

1st Dec: (2:59) https://youtu.be/bPuT-5CGtQo?t=180

Weight is too far forward, you're hunching over.  Put your chest up and look up.  Is a little big of wink.  Better bar position and form might solve that. Hard to tell too much with camera that far away

15 hours ago, hamdanz said:

Weight is too far forward, you're hunching over.  Put your chest up and look up.  Is a little big of wink.  Better bar position and form might solve that. Hard to tell too much with camera that far away

What he said.

Agree I do struggle with keeping my chest up really need to concentrate on that. 

Is my form from the 3 minute mark any better?

If you look up, your chest will follow naturally.  Fix the head position first.  

Look at the end of the bar - the path should be broadly vertical from top to bottom and back again.... if the bar moves forward at the bottom, you're leaning too far forward.  I looked at the sets from 2m30 or so and the bar path's not too bad, and form generally is pretty good. 

50 minutes ago, teamfatboy said:

If you look up, your chest will follow naturally.  Fix the head position first.  

Look at the end of the bar - the path should be broadly vertical from top to bottom and back again.... if the bar moves forward at the bottom, you're leaning too far forward.  I looked at the sets from 2m30 or so and the bar path's not too bad, and form generally is pretty good. 

Thanks.  Will work on the head position. Atleast I corrected the lower back curving a bit. Hopefully can increase weight now

5 hours ago, Sarmed said:

Agree I do struggle with keeping my chest up really need to concentrate on that. 

Is my form from the 3 minute mark any better?

Yes.

The way you squatted initially (breaking a the hip first / early on) doesn't really "suit" your individual leverages (relativelly long femure and short torso) You simply run out of torso length as you get deeper = butt wink. 

Later on you initiate the movement from both knee and hip in a more simultaneous matter  thus displacing some of your long femure length over your toes early on (thus staying more uprigth = your hip doesn't have to travel back so far = thus reducing the amount that the torso has to accomodate for keeping the bar above the middle of your feet) Additionally you also squat somewahat higher later on (approximately to parallel) thus you furthere reduce the need for "using torso length. 

IMHO with long femure and short torso you be better served to think about breaking from knee and hip at same time as well as driving knees out and apart as you squat down. 

People squated big weigths with either end of the spectrum  / both ways  ... hip dominant (more of an equiped powerlifting style) or knee dominant (uprigth more like an oly lifter). You just have to work out what suits your individual levrages, mobility, current muscular strengths/weaknesses  and goals (hypertrophy effects aren't interchangable with end of spectrum type squats IMO).

Technique is something that you should always work on and refine anyways. Good luck...

Just my 2 cents :-)

Thanks guys. This is a lot more informative than the feedback i got from anywhere else

I also noticed that pointing my toes out slighty more than the 30° standard helps me break at both the knees and hips simultaneously. Im also for now focusing on squatting just below parallel. I figure i can slowly work on depth once i have the other components fixed still making sure though that the hip crease goes below the top of the knee

Cheers guys!!

Good little trick is squatting in front of a wall, just body weight, toes 3-6 inches or so from the wall, facing wall. Place hands on head.  Pretty quickly, you're forced to be a lot more upright - because if you're leaning forward, face smashes wall.