NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
GyzzBrah

Actually going gym etc pt.2

Haven't posted most of the year because haven't lifted most of the year. Did a fair bit of boxing though. Managed to maintain most of my weight and strength through the year by eating properly and being reasonably healthy. Mature person now so just a no bs log of my training while im back up in Auckland. This week training is just going to be full body work at a medium weight. This is ideal obviously for building back up a base level of strength, mobility etc and avoiding injury. After that just a basic strength program I was given back in 2014, but actually going to do it properly since im over being a little immature shit lol.

Week 1

Monday

• Dumbell flat bench press (4 x 8), 22kg
  • T-bar rows (4 x 12), 35kg of plates
  • Front raises with 10kg plate (4 x 12)
  • Rear delt flies with 5kg dumbell (4 x 12)
  • Tricep pushdowns 4 x 12
  • Dumbell lunges 4 x 12
  • Leg extension 4 x 15

Went boxing around 2 - 3 times a week. Not much but was something atleast and found it enjoyable.

Day 2

Machine shoulder press 4 x 12

Seated rows  4 x 12

Curls 4 x 8

Dumbell shrugs 4 x 12

Leg curls 4 x 12

Few sets of situps

Might do an hr walk tommorow around the reserve

13 hours ago, PETN said:

What stuff are you doing at uni (e.g. what papers/major/degree) and are you still failing shit?

Nah getting A - B range. Repeated Law and changed second major to psych. Repeating was worth because fucked around last year and was also messed in the head as you know so this year is like a fake first year for me. Was a good year overall as well as academically. Had a friend who repeated as well then went on to win mooting etc and getting A's now. Lived in a good flat with good people and had a fullfilling social life.

For papers did intro law and 2 intro psych papers, and philosophy / history. Couldnt do more because was on conditional enrolment for failing 5 Bcom papers (all maths based ones)

Thursday / friday exact same as monday / tuesday, only difference was that it felt much harder the second time probably because not used to soreness and recovery. Today official start of strength program.

Overhead press, 35kg x 8, 40 for 2 x 8.

Front squats 40kg for 2 x 5, then 50 for 3 x 3.

Close grip bench 50kg x 10, 8.. brought weight down to 45 but still only got 7. (aim was 3 x 10)

Tricep pushdown 15kg for 3 x 8

Behind neck press, bar for 3 x 8

Lateral raise 3 x 8

For other things just been looking around for a job, hopefully ill get one soon.

Day 2

Deadlifts

60 x 5

100 x 1 (x many singles). Just trying to get the form right and speed, took many tries

130 x 1 (new max single, 40kg down from original max)

120 for 4 x 1

Rdl / stiff deadlifts (the type where the bar goes just below knees on each rep)

60 for 3 x 8

neutral grip pullups

18 total reps, took many sets (mostly 2-3 reps)

hamstring curls

4 x 10

Absolutley rude and uncalled for...

day 3

Bench press

to max single (65)

60kg 2 x 8

Neutral grip pullups

3 x 5

Flat dumbell bench

22kg 3 x 8

hammer curls

12kg 3 x 12

tricep pushdown

3 x 15

week 2

Did my first job today in my life, and am very happy with myself. Lots of hard labour, but still went gym as well.

day 1

Overhead press

40 x 5

42.5 x 5

42.5 x 5

Front squats

50 x 3

52.5 x 3

55 x 3

60 x 3

Close grip bench

60 for 3 x 8

Behind neck press (wide grip)

bar for 3 x 10

tricep pushdowns 5 x 8 / rear delt fly (superset); lateral raises / front raises (5 x 15 superset)

2 hours ago, PETN said:

So basically mowing the lawns and doing the gardens for one of your mum's friends?

f*ck off c*nt its someone i found on internet. And landscaping is not gardening. It involves building decks, pavements, tiling, restructuring the land etc. Also small scale construction / plumbing depending on what needs to be built. You already know that. My work for the day involved unloading gravel (2 cubic m) from a trailer and some other white rock (1 cubic m) and wheelbarrowing it to be laid out. Also some smaller tasks as well. 5hrs work. 20$ph.

Havent really done proper workout since last posted because work / job is so difficult and im always sore or tired etc afterwards and for several days. Tried doing a deadlift workout once and couldnt even pick up the bar which had warmup weight on so gave up.

But more used to it now so just hardening up and going anyway.

Overhead press

40 for 3 x 5

50 x 1

Front squats

60 for 4 x 3

Close grip bench

50 x 8

52.5 x 8

52.5 x 8

Behind neck press

bar for 3 x 8

tricep pushdowns

20kg 4 x 10

Lateral raises

12kg 3 x 8

Bench press

60 x 5

62.5 x 5

62.5 x 5

Pullups

20 total in sets of 5-6, with a pause at bottom and all way up

Flat Dumbell press

28 for 3 x 6 - was the highest ive ever gone since stopped lifting, best was i think 38 for 5 and 30 for 20 so theres a goal I suppose

Seated row

2 x 8

Tricep rope pushdowns

20kg 3 x 10

Overhead Press

40 kg for 8 sets x 3

Front Squats

60kg x 2

70 x 2

70 x 2

75 x 2

Close grip bench

50 x 6

60 x 6 (pr)

60 x 6 (also pr)

Tricep pushdowns

20kg 4 x 10

Lateral raises 3 x 8

Gonna go boxing in the evening.

From now everything will be a PR because as Maccaz and Wendler both said, what counts is what you can do now, not 3 years ago. Since 2018 will be the year that I am finally consistent in my training and achieve other things as well (for real this time), may as well start counting progress from what it is now, not in 2014 etc.

Deadlifts

100kg for 5 x singles

130kg for 5 x singles (PR)

Stiff leg deadlift

100kg 3 x 8

Leg curls

3 x 8

Doing boxing again tonight. Found a no-frill boxing club which is pretty much a giant tin shed with bags hanging down, lots of hardcore people who I can learn from as well, and very cheap, only 100$ for the 2 months I am here.

Might start training legs one of these days...

Bench Press

60 for 8 sets of 3

Pullups

20 total (about 6 sets to do it)

Dumbell flat bench

26 x 8

28 x 6

28 x 6

Seated Rows

67kgs 3 x 8

Tricep Pushdowns

20kg 4 x 10

EZ bar curls

20kg 2 x 20

Saw the silliest thing in the gym today, a kid maybe 15-16 lying down on a bench, had a plate on his forehead with a towel underneath, bobbing his head back and forth. Must be one of those new years type people who come and go.

16 hours ago, GyzzBrah said:

Saw the silliest thing in the gym today, a kid maybe 15-16 lying down on a bench, had a plate on his forehead with a towel underneath, bobbing his head back and forth. Must be one of those new years type people who come and go.

dont mock people. you are one of those new years type people who come and go.

go do some squats boy

Very true maccaz.

Quite a strange phenomenon today, keep in mind I have barely trained legs all year let alone squatted. In the few times I did go I could barely unrack 80kgs or even rep 60kgs (could do like 5 max). So today my plan was to do 60kg's for 3 x 5 and max out at around 70-80 for squats yet...

Squats

60 x 5

70 x 5

80 x 5

80 x 5

80 x 5

90 x 1

f*ck all weight objectively, but unexpected surprise for me considering lack of leg training.

Pullups

4 x 5

Horizontal Leg Press (non plate loaded)

160kg 3 x 10

Leg Curls

125lbs 3 x 8

Leg extention

3 x 15-20