NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
TriedEverything

Help required - Police PAT

22 hours ago, Realtalk said:

Off topic slightly, but I have always wondered why are there different time requirements for male and female and different time requirements for different ages brackets? 

Also if you need to be at that level to gain entry why don't you have to maintain that level whilst employed?

Its assumed a 21 year old recruit would be stronger and fitter than someone in their late 50's, also males generally perform better than females due to greater muscle mass and differing hormone profile..

Police have to keep within certain standards, but obviously as you age your personal best will not be that when younger..

The PCT taken every 2 years must be passed otherwise Police are removed from frontline duties until they do pass..

Anyone failing consistently must be seriously overweight, and/or physically fucking useless and should consider if Police is the profession for them..

On 11/12/2017 at 7:40 PM, Realtalk said:

Off topic slightly, but I have always wondered why are there different time requirements for male and female and different time requirements for different ages brackets? 

Also if you need to be at that level to gain entry why don't you have to maintain that level whilst employed?

I wondered that too but found an article from when they changed the standards in 2006 - "Times for the 2.4 km run are now set on a differential basis having regard for age and gender and taking into account the fact that individuals are at their peak fitness between 20 - 29"

You still have the maintain the PCT level of fitness but not the PAT once out of college which I wondered about too

Off topic but 16yo obese maccaz very easily outran an older man cop when caught wagging School once. I was like 120kg and had never been in a gym. Doubt I could run 2.4km non stop let alone for time. So back then they must not have had to keep up a standard (2006). 

this is a pretty standard test. I believe the army use it as well and they have a training program on their site (the accelerator I think they called it)

https://www.defencecareers.mil.nz/home/how-to-join/get-force-fit/force-fit

Also check out other service units from overseas , as mentioned above , it is a common test and is also known as the 1.2 mile test.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/running/improve-your-pft-mile-time