Jump to content
NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
TriedEverything

Help required - Police PAT

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I am needing to run the Police PAT run which is 2.4km in 11.50 mins or less. I have been trying to do this for over a year and just don't seem to be able to get there. I have tried everything. I've been through  3 or 4 personal trainers who have all had different tactics, none of which worked. I've tried making up my own program, following someone elses, running groups and even tried hypnotherapy thinking it was a mind thing.

 

So, now i'm at a loss as to what to do.

 

I'm pretty fit (i think), my 5km time is around 30 mins or just under, I can run the speed required for the run but cannot maintain it for the 2.4km. I go to F45 4 or 5 times a week which keeps my fitness up. I am quite short so maybe its my legs that are failing me!

 

Anyway, appreciate any help I can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi mate,

3 or 4 trainers eh... I'm not suprised there. No useful study or hands on experience. When a client asks you if you can help them with a goal don't say yes if you don't know how to do it. That's classic pt, jack of all trades master of none. Wing it, try learn as they go and then fail. How embarrassing to say you can help someone achieve something then fail when it's your job. I could name like 30 pts who would do that, most are female. Waste of money. Did they refund you your money? Because they didn't do what you paid them for.

 

anyway there is a police program on the website is there not? It's a linear program which has you running more distance on average every week. Other than that the 2.4 isn't a long run so you don't have to be a good runner nessercerily to do well at it. If you can already run 5km then that's good. But you need to practise the 2.4km more, be more specific. The more you repeat it the better you'll get at it. The easiest way is to go to a 400m track and run laps of that, which is 6 laps to make up 2400m. You'll be able to get your split times then for every 400m and you can Practise maintaining a pace that will get you into the time you need. If you're just running 2.4km along the road it can be difficult to gauge what pace you should be doing if you're new to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TriedEverything said:

Hi all,

 

I am needing to run the Police PAT run which is 2.4km in 11.50 mins or less. I have been trying to do this for over a year and just don't seem to be able to get there. I have tried everything. I've been through  3 or 4 personal trainers who have all had different tactics, none of which worked. I've tried making up my own program, following someone elses, running groups and even tried hypnotherapy thinking it was a mind thing.

 

So, now i'm at a loss as to what to do.

 

I'm pretty fit (i think), my 5km time is around 30 mins or just under, I can run the speed required for the run but cannot maintain it for the 2.4km. I go to F45 4 or 5 times a week which keeps my fitness up. I am quite short so maybe its my legs that are failing me!

 

Anyway, appreciate any help I can get.

 

The Police PAT run is easily completed by most participants, have you considered you just might not be up to it physically.?

 

Why anyone would contemplate a career in Police today is beyond me, they are massively under resourced, most rural stations work solo shifts with no backup..   

 

Eastern Coromandel frequently has one officer covering from Port Jackson to Waihi most Friday and Saturday nights, backup is in Thames over an hour away, or Paeroa 1.5 hours away.. For a population of about 18,000 people... Not exactly getting value for taxes paid..

Welcome to modern Policing..!! 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Hi mate,

3 or 4 trainers eh... I'm not suprised there. No useful study or hands on experience. When a client asks you if you can help them with a goal don't say yes if you don't know how to do it. That's classic pt, jack of all trades master of none. Wing it, try learn as they go and then fail. How embarrassing to say you can help someone achieve something then fail when it's your job. I could name like 30 pts who would do that, most are female. Waste of money. Did they refund you your money? Because they didn't do what you paid them for.

 

anyway there is a police program on the website is there not? It's a linear program which has you running more distance on average every week. Other than that the 2.4 isn't a long run so you don't have to be a good runner nessercerily to do well at it. If you can already run 5km then that's good. But you need to practise the 2.4km more, be more specific. The more you repeat it the better you'll get at it. The easiest way is to go to a 400m track and run laps of that, which is 6 laps to make up 2400m. You'll be able to get your split times then for every 400m and you can Practise maintaining a pace that will get you into the time you need. If you're just running 2.4km along the road it can be difficult to gauge what pace you should be doing if you're new to it.

All my trainers have been male and while yes some were new some were specific running trainers. But i found they were wanting me to run 10+km a day and i felt like it wasn't helping me with my goal.

 

No, there is no program on the website, at least not that i'm aware of. So do you think JUST running 2.4km? I've tried doing 2x 1.2km 4x 600m etc but that didn't seem to help me improve.

5 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

The Police PAT run is easily completed by most participants, have you considered you just might not be up to it physically.?

Possibly? But i know others who have completed it and in all other cases i'm fitter than them, and i would have thought training for it would help me to get up to it physically but it never seemed to improve my time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Specific running trainers? Ok well sounds like you need to go harder. Are you mentally soft or can't push through abit of pain?

 

you said you can run 5km then you said you have run 2x 1200 and 4x600 and it didn't help. Of course it didn't you don't need to focus on distance, you said you can run 5km already. Your problem is the pace. The more split times you can get the easier it will be to know if you are where you should be or if you are behind. The idea being with the 400m track is that you would want your 6th lap the same as your 1st lap. Not 1st 30 seconds faster than your 6th lap. So 11m50 that's just under 2m per 400m loop. 

 

what good is doing a 10km run. At what pace? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Realtalk said:

Specific running trainers? Ok well sounds like you need to go harder. Are you mentally soft or can't push through abit of pain?

 

you said you can run 5km then you said you have run 2x 1200 and 4x600 and it didn't help. Of course it didn't you don't need to focus on distance, you said you can run 5km already. Your problem is the pace. The more split times you can get the easier it will be to know if you are where you should be or if you are behind. The idea being with the 400m track is that you would want your 6th lap the same as your 1st lap. Not 1st 30 seconds faster than your 6th lap. So 11m50 that's just under 2m per 400m loop. 

 

what good is doing a 10km run. At what pace? 

When i as doing the 2x1200m and 4x600m etc etc it was at a faster pace than what i can maintain for a long distance. So i was trying to get my pce under what is required for the run in the hope that training for a shorter distance would increase my pace and then i could increase the distance once i had the pace sorted. See I'm so all over the place, I've been told so many different things to try by different people. I'm just desperate for something to actually work.

 

The 10km was at a slow pace, so it usually took me a little over an hour but the whole time i was wondering why i was running such a long distance when all i needed to do was the 2.4km

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I've had experience with something similar, I hated running and entered myself in a 12km obstacle course run. Before that I had never run any distance since cross country back in primary school. The following year I entered 11 of these runs my average placing was in the mid 20s (of about150+ competitors) and came 6th in one of them 

 

10+ km a day is overkill for a 2.4km run

 

Although 10km runs will help your aerobic threshold, you would be better off to run a 3km distance of hill running anerobically 3 times a week. This will give you time to recover.

 

This is the method that worked for me

 

Find a good hill, run up hard for as long as you can, and when you need to stop turn around and jog back down don't worry about the time it takes you will see improvement each time by how far you get up the hill, but do use a GPS tracker to measure the 3km distance. Running up will increase your anerobic threshold whilst strengthening your legs and jogging back down will help you recover ready for the next run up. 

 

Also learn how to run, when I learnt how to run properly it made a huge difference to my endurance, if your running mechanics are shit you will be wasting a tonne of energy.

High soled running shoes ,(pretty much every running shoe that is not a minimal shoe) can f*ck with your footstrike, causing your heel to hit the the ground first acting like a brake. To get out of this habit I started running in bare feet for a while, because when running in bare feet it forces you to land fore footed and eliminates heel strike.

 

In short, run up hills try it for atleast 3 weeks and then try a 2.4 on the flat.  you should see a noticable difference in your running time , learn the mechanics of how to run properly, minimise training for better recovery.

 

My 2 cents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've been trying for a year something is way off. What's your current 2.4km time?? I had a client break both her arms and in less than 6 months she sat and passed the full test including the push-ups. 

 

Its an easy test to train train for but you need to be able to push yourself mentally 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many days per week are you running?

 

what did the trainers say and how much of it did you do?

 

i had a client who couldn’t pass the press up challenge. She honestly tried for three years (was my client toward the end and I trained her a few times at the start while her regular PT was away) and ended up giving up. Her problem wasn’t having incorrect information it was because she simply didn’t ever do the work necessary to improve her push ups.

 

i train about 4 cops and they all say the same thing - get fit and it’s all mental 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2.4km in 11 min 50 sec isn't even 1km every 4 minutes. Someone that is reasonably fit would be hitting under 4min/km running for at least an hour so you obviously aren't very fit. Either you're lazy or you have some sort of disease or genetic anomaly that makes you unsuitable. What is your weight? If you were very heavy it would make it more difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 cents crew.

 

yeah the time shouldn't be of great difficulty, especially with all the training you've done by the sounds? 4 pts is a lot.

 

Id tend to agree with some of the unfiltered responses.

 

#1 if you're overweight, lose some weight. Will make a huge difference, power to weight ratio is everything.  You think something with a V12 engine would be killer fast... if it's in a truck, no.

 

#2 train harder.

 

#3 stick to one plan for 6 months straight.  You don't need a pt.  google and YouTube are your friends, utilise them.  Educate yourself.

 

#4 train harder.

 

#5 do the run once a week.  Keep trying to improve your time week to week, even by 1-2 seconds.  Some weeks will be shit if sick or energy low etc, but just keep at it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hamdanz said:

2 cents crew.

 

yeah the time shouldn't be of great difficulty, especially with all the training you've done by the sounds? 4 pts is a lot.

 

Id tend to agree with some of the unfiltered responses.

 

#1 if you're overweight, lose some weight. Will make a huge difference, power to weight ratio is everything.  You think something with a V12 engine would be killer fast... if it's in a truck, no.

 

#2 train harder.

 

#3 stick to one plan for 6 months straight.  You don't need a pt.  google and YouTube are your friends, utilise them.  Educate yourself.

 

#4 train harder.

 

#5 do the run once a week.  Keep trying to improve your time week to week, even by 1-2 seconds.  Some weeks will be shit if sick or energy low etc, but just keep at it.

 

 

In truth the fitness should be able to be built up in 6 weeks maximum. It’s not a marathon. I would say do the run 5x pw. Get it done. Once a week probably isn’t enough esp for someone who is struggling.

 

1.5c crew lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trainlikeafreak said:

In truth the fitness should be able to be built up in 6 weeks maximum. It’s not a marathon. I would say do the run 5x pw. Get it done. Once a week probably isn’t enough esp for someone who is struggling.

 

1.5c crew lol

Once a week doing the 2.whatever kilometre run, pushing it.  Getting used to pushing yourself for that distance.

 

Of course the running training would be 4/5 times a week.

 

Personally, I'd recommend 14-20 mins HIIT training 4 times a week.  e.g. interval training up a hill - run up, walk back down, repeat x10-15 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2017 at 2:48 AM, PETN said:

2.4km in 11 min 50 sec isn't even 1km every 4 minutes. Someone that is reasonably fit would be hitting under 4min/km running for at least an hour so you obviously aren't very fit. Either you're lazy or you have some sort of disease or genetic anomaly that makes you unsuitable. What is your weight? If you were very heavy it would make it more difficult.

That is just not realistic!  Sorry but being able to run for an hour at under 4min km's is insane and not what a 'reasonably' fit person could do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2017 at 10:50 PM, trainlikeafreak said:

How many days per week are you running?

 

what did the trainers say and how much of it did you do?

 

i had a client who couldn’t pass the press up challenge. She honestly tried for three years (was my client toward the end and I trained her a few times at the start while her regular PT was away) and ended up giving up. Her problem wasn’t having incorrect information it was because she simply didn’t ever do the work necessary to improve her push ups.

 

i train about 4 cops and they all say the same thing - get fit and it’s all mental 

I try to run 3-4 times a week on top of my other stuff. I followed exactly what the trainers told me to do and i met with them at least weekly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think until you answer the questions about your current 2.4 time, how much you weigh etc it's hard to help. But I will happily train you and make you fit enough lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2017 at 8:55 PM, TriedEverything said:

That is just not realistic!  Sorry but being able to run for an hour at under 4min km's is insane and not what a 'reasonably' fit person could do.

It is quite realistic. I used to do it and I was around 85-90kg which is heavier than is ideal.

 

Top marathon runners average under 3 minutes per km for the 42km which is insanely fast. I believe a top athlete would be able to do the 2.4km in under 6 minutes, around half the time you are trying to do it in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2017 at 2:11 AM, PETN said:

It is quite realistic. I used to do it and I was around 85-90kg which is heavier than is ideal.

 

Top marathon runners average under 3 minutes per km for the 42km which is insanely fast. I believe a top athlete would be able to do the 2.4km in under 6 minutes, around half the time you are trying to do it in.

 

To me it just sounds like you're too lazy to train properly and would rather just pretend you're fit and that everything you can't do is "unrealistic". Not trying to upset you or anything. That is just the impression that the information you've presented here has given me.

 

The Police PAT test is pretty easy for most recruits, and so it should be, it's meant to weed out those not suitable for frontline Policing.. 

The fact you are finding it difficult might just tell you something..!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under 6 minutes is super fast lol I doubt any all black could run it in under 6min I doubt they could run it in under 7.  Anything under 8 is considered really really good! Around 9 is considered quick. The WR for 2000m is 4:45, so they still have another 400m. The WR time for 400m is like 43sec without having run 5 laps before it. So add that onto 4:45 and that's around 5 and a half min.... under 6min is probably an Olympic level runner.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey!

 

I'm also in the police application process, and take it you're also a female in your 20's? (as 11:50 is my required time too).

A few questions:

  • What is your best 2.4km time?
  • Do you usually run outside or on the treadmill?
  • Have you been along to a (compulsory) PAT rehearsal yet?
  • Whereabouts are you in the selection process?

Note: I'm not a runner, I ran twice before attempting the PAT rehearsal (whoops)- but I lift 6ish days a week & do some machine cardio/HIIT (and I'm not on the lighter side). However I have reduced my run time from 11:43 (a month ago at the PAT rehearsal) to 11:08 (a few days ago) .

 

What I've been doing weekly:

  • Still lifting 5-6x a week (my fav/#1 love), 1-2 HIIT sessions (sled pushes/pulls, tyre flips, battle ropes, skipping etc.), incorporating vertical jumps/jump squats + push ups 3-4 times a week, and running 3-4 x week. 
  • The running involves 1-2 sessions of 3-5km, 1 session of 2.4km and 1-2 sessions of sprints (100m-200m x 5-8).

Lots of other responses have been really good (would say hill sprints, more anaerobic work and pushing yourself would be good starters) but I/we can offer more advice if  we have more information :)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Laurasaurus said:

Hey!

 

I'm also in the police application process, and take it you're also a female in your 20's? (as 11:50 is my required time too).

A few questions:

  • What is your best 2.4km time?
  • Do you usually run outside or on the treadmill?
  • Have you been along to a (compulsory) PAT rehearsal yet?
  • Whereabouts are you in the selection process?

Note: I'm not a runner, I ran twice before attempting the PAT rehearsal (whoops)- but I lift 6ish days a week & do some machine cardio/HIIT (and I'm not on the lighter side). However I have reduced my run time from 11:43 (a month ago at the PAT rehearsal) to 11:08 (a few days ago) .

 

What I've been doing weekly:

  • Still lifting 5-6x a week (my fav/#1 love), 1-2 HIIT sessions (sled pushes/pulls, tyre flips, battle ropes, skipping etc.), incorporating vertical jumps/jump squats + push ups 3-4 times a week, and running 3-4 x week. 
  • The running involves 1-2 sessions of 3-5km, 1 session of 2.4km and 1-2 sessions of sprints (100m-200m x 5-8).

Lots of other responses have been really good (would say hill sprints, more anaerobic work and pushing yourself would be good starters) but I/we can offer more advice if  we have more information :)

 

 

 

Hey! yes female and in 20's.

 

best time - 12.02 or there abouts - this was at a PAT so i wasn't recording it i just remember them calling out the time

Only ever run outside

Yes have been along to a couple - got my best time there!

I've got my academic testing date coming up so then after that i'll have 8 ish weeks till the PAT

 

Are you doing the running on your own or as part of a group? How far through the process are you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found running the 2.4km test for the army was mostly mental. Even while it's hurting and you're breathing hard you just had to keep pushing the pace. Never allowing the thoughts of "I'll just slow down a little bit here" to creep in.

 

Having a course where you had a halfway point was helpful to see if your pace is correct. 

 

Also picking up the pace for the last few hundred meters and pushing through the pain can cut a bit of time. 

 

Just have to bite the bullet and keep practicing 2.4km each run trying to better your time. 

 

I had to get under 10mins 30secs and I knew if I was at the halfway point at about 5mins I could scrape under.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic slightly, but I have always wondered why are there different time requirements for male and female and different time requirements for different ages brackets? 

 

Also if you need to be at that level to gain entry why don't you have to maintain that level whilst employed?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strongly agree. Having different requirements for different age groups and sexes is discriminatory. If there is a physical standard that needs to be met in order to be a police officer then that same standard should apply to all age groups and need to be maintained. Different standards could apply to different policing jobs. E.g. less stringent for those doing serious crash investigation than AOS etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×