NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
osterman92

Just joined, looking for supplementation advice and guidance

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forums and I'm looking for supplementation advice. I'm a 25 year old guy who started messing around with bodybuilding when I was about 17-18, moved onto Powerlifting, moved onto Olympic Lifting, and have now moved back to Powerlifting proper. In all that time, I probably took about 6 months off in terms of not training at all.

I often feel like I've got 'lower' genetic limits than most people, and I've often felt that my testosterone levels are naturally lower than most (just a feeling based on my own experiences in training, etc, I've never confirmed it through blood tests). I often feel like I've reached the most you can accomplish naturally, and I think I've hit the genetic wall; not only when it comes to strength and muscle gains, but general fat loss as well. I've carefully planned out my nutrition, and my training is structured in a way that works for me as a natural lifter (I have thrown around the idea of going on testosterone supplementation, but I'm finding it difficult getting any traction there).

I was wondering anyone would you be willing to give me any advice on supplementation I could use for, both, recovery and strength gains, and the best way to approach it.

Thanks very much,

osterman

"Supplementation" lol

You mean gear. You've been lifting 5 or 6 years not consistent. And you've reached your genetic limit. Really? 

Most people's natural limits are far higher than they think. If you just cop out and say you've reached the limit, you've probably given up and training like a wuss. 

My advise, put in at least 10 years ball busting work then re visit the issue

12 hours ago, Bigken1985 said:

"Supplementation" lol

You mean gear. You've been lifting 5 or 6 years not consistent. And you've reached your genetic limit. Really? 

Most people's natural limits are far higher than they think. If you just cop out and say you've reached the limit, you've probably given up and training like a wuss. 

My advise, put in at least 10 years ball busting work then re visit the issue

Why waste ten years reaching “your limit”? It’s just wasted time really, if you are gonna get on eventually regardless. 

Id agree if you were on the fence about using, but if you’re gonna do it then why delay the inevitable (inb4 someone interprets this to mean every person new to the gym should take gear - I’m not saying that so calm down lol)

5-6 years inconsistent is 5.5 years longer than everyone else that starts in this day and age lol

To be fair, if you're moving from bb to powerlifting to Oly lifting, then you probably haven't trained enough for size in order for progressive overload results to diminish and consider it your 'natty limit'.

On 11/10/2017 at 7:32 PM, osterman92 said:

I often feel like I've got 'lower' genetic limits than most people

I think most people feel like they've got lower genetic limits than most people. :-D 

I say that as a joke, but I actually think it's true too. Statistically, half the people I know must average-or-better genetics - but I don't know many who would believe it.

On 10/11/2017 at 7:32 PM, osterman92 said:

moved onto Olympic Lifting, 

I often feel like I've got 'lower' genetic limits than most people,

I'm keen to hear more about this. I want to try Olympic lifting but think I got 5th or 6th division in the genetic Lotto . Obviously it'll be for recreation purposes, but I wondered how you got on given your perceived lack of genetic gifts.

On 10/17/2017 at 9:29 AM, maccaz said:

Why waste ten years reaching “your limit”? It’s just wasted time really, if you are gonna get on eventually regardless. 

Id agree if you were on the fence about using, but if you’re gonna do it then why delay the inevitable (inb4 someone interprets this to mean every person new to the gym should take gear - I’m not saying that so calm down lol)

5-6 years inconsistent is 5.5 years longer than everyone else that starts in this day and age lol

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I realise that in terms of total training time, my time spent training is fairly small, but as maccaz said, if it's a decision I've made at this point in my life, I don't see the point in waiting, it just feels like wasted time. 

7 hours ago, urbano said:

I'm keen to hear more about this. I want to try Olympic lifting but think I got 5th or 6th division in the genetic Lotto . Obviously it'll be for recreation purposes, but I wondered how you got on given your perceived lack of genetic gifts.

Sure, I can give you my brief experience with it. And it was very brief (7-8 months of training with a Oly coach).

About 1 month in, we maxed my lifts and I started out with a 60kg snatch and a 85kg clean and jerk. That 1 month of training was really just prep work; things like getting used to the 1st pull, 2nd pull, making sure I was performing the triple extension correctly. 3 months later we maxed again, and I had a 69kg snatch, and a 95kg clean and jerk. From there, we did 3-4 months of more training before I had to move gyms because of shifted house. Making it back for more training wasn't feasible going forward, so I decided to switch back to powerlifting.

At the end of the day if your genetics are legitimately shit you end up achieving f*ck all in training whether you take gear as a shortcut or spend 10 years of ball busting training in your garage.

That aside I look forward to reading the OPs cycle log of his likely mediocre results and I'll add to that by preemptively questioning the dosage/legitimacy of his gear that he is yet to source/use.