The plan...

Pseudonym

So a couple of days ago, I hinted at some Gymnation developments that were in the pipeline, and promised more detail would be forthcoming. Here it is...

As an online forum, we are the original form of social media – and yet ironically, when it comes to promoting Gymnation on other social media platforms, we’re really quite shit.

Partly that’s down to me (I don’t enjoy self promotion much, so I don’t do it). And partly that’s down to the nature of a forum – the content on here basically consists of conversations, and while many of them contain information that’s absolutely invaluable, they’re not something neat and tidy that’s easily advertised on social media. So...

We need to evolve.

The plan is to build a bunch of resources and tools that will sit alongside the forum, and drive more traffic back to it. Articles, videos, interviews, podcasts, etc. We have plenty of expert members (past and present) and friends of the forum who know their stuff, and we’ll be inviting some of them to contribute.

Here’s a few of the things I want to introduce:

-          Expert articles
In-depth stories on everything from bodybuilding and powerlifting training, through to diet and nutrition. Aimed at a range of audience levels, from beginner to advanced.

-          On-location feature videos
A while back, I interviewed a few of the athletes in Cirque du Soleil, and it’s been immensely popular. I want us to do more of this sort of stuff.

-          Panel interviews
Live video interviews with Q&A.

-          Pro tips
Short, easily digestible, video bites giving a single piece of advice.

-          Myth debunking
There’s no shortage of myths in this sport. Let’s clear a few up.

-          You get the idea... Feel free to add your suggestions below.

On top of this, we’re going to be tweaking the design of the site. First up, we’ll soon be rolling out a new look and feel – one that’s similar, but a bit cleaner and brighter than our current one. After that, we’ll redesign some of the pages (particularly the front page) to accommodate these new features and be more visually appealing.

Can you help?

Obviously, this is an absolutely massive project, and there’s no way I can do it by myself. A couple of people have already expressed interest in lending a hand, but we need more:

-          Experts
Do you have loads of knowledge and want to share it with the masses? Can be on anything from training to nutrition, either in article or video form.

-          Writers
Those experts are amazing, and probably geniuses, but that doesn’t mean they can write. Can you? You’ll take what the experts are saying, and help them make it sound awesome.

-          Videographers, editors, presenters
We need people behind the camera, in front of the camera, and in post-production who can make it look like we know what we’re doing. (Even if we don’t.)

-          Producers
Can you find a story, coordinate all the people above, and generally make shit happen? Knowing everyone else in the industry would be an advantage.

Phew! As I say, this is a huge undertaking... but with the right people we can pull this off, and it will be truly epic. 

Let me know here or by PM if you want to be part of something awesome! :-D 

This sounds fantastic.

It would be great to see some if the many events around the country get some coverage.

Love the idea of more structured in house type experts contributions.

Featured athletes from across the board would be great, always good to see/hear these guys and girls from varied backgrounds giving some insight to their chosen industry and what drives and motivates them and makes them tick.

@Pseudonym ive got some pretty decent camera gear/lenses for photos etc... im auckland based. Happy to contribute whenever possible (travel for work a lot) but would be glad to help out. This forum and some of its members have helped me tremendously and if i could give back to some of them id be glad to. 

7 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

@Biggerbythedaynz - what kit have you got? (I'm asking more for my curiosity as an amateur photographer than anything...) Do you do video as well, or just stills?

Cheers guys - much appreciated! I'll definitely give you a yell when we get closer.

I have a canon eos 700d, tripod, lenses : 50mm,85mm,75-135mm,18-55mm a few different flash diffusers. Nothing too posh but does a good enough job :)

Edited by Biggerbythedaynz
Spelling errors

Yep, that's a fair point. Some of these things I've wanted to do for a while. But there is a bunch of new stuff in there too, and I think already we're a lot further down the track than last time! The difference now is that I have a few people who are keen to work on these projects, and the back-end development that needs to happen is happening right now. In fact, I'm hoping to roll out the first step - ie, the updated theme - in the next week or so.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/09/2017 at 12:01 PM, Pseudonym said:

I'm hoping to roll out the first step - ie, the updated theme - in the next week or so.

Ugh. I thought it might be two weeks. I didn't think it would be four. :-(

Anyway, the theme is finally done. I'm now trying to install it, and it's not going smoothly. I'll have another crack at it tomorrow night, but in the meantime, you might notice a few things looking a bit odd. Apologies for the inconvenience.

OK, I suspect our cache table was corrupted, which was probably causing all sorts of issues like slow page loads and server crashes - so if the website has been behaving badly for you, blame it on that.

Anyway, I think we're up and running. There'll still be little tweaks as things annoy me but, by and large, we've finally arrived at the destination. Phew!

So... Welcome to your new-look Gymnation. :-) 

• 2 weeks later...

When using a phone to browse the site clicking the notification icon causes the web page to freeze up. This happens for me 100% of the time when using any browser. Unsure if others are experiencing the same thing but it's pretty annoying and, while I doubt I have a single one, I also don't seem to be able to access PMs which I assume is through the same button.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:50 PM, PETN said:

When using a phone to browse the site clicking the notification icon causes the web page to freeze up. This happens for me 100% of the time when using any browser. Unsure if others are experiencing the same thing but it's pretty annoying and, while I doubt I have a single one, I also don't seem to be able to access PMs which I assume is through the same button.

+1