NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Daz69

Old School Bodybuilding

Some notes from a friend, on how it used to be:

When I first seriously started training in the early 80's there was only ONE sponsor in the entire area for everyone's AAS needs, his name was James. James was protective of all new comers to the AAS world and thus was extremely selective of who would start. His philosophy was based on training knowledge, diet and dedication to a solid base FIRST. He was like a swan and his ducklings. It was only after a few years of training would he consider starting someone. It was usually 200mg of cyp/wk and 10-20mg of dbol/day. Some times it was just 30mg of dbol a day!!!! That's it!!!!!!

Those low doses were run for a COUPLE of years until another new solid base was formed beyond the initial natural one. The doses were then and only then increased over time as lean tissue developed. The physiques I saw on these relatively low uncomplicated doses were impressive to say the least. They produced some powerfully thick, dense physiques with LITTLE TO NO complications. James was in full control of the doses depending on responses and side effects. In a very smart way, he controlled both his risks and maintained client health, longevity and love for the sport.

I clearly remember this one instance where one of the competitors at our gym was going through an extremely painful divorce and life altering fight over his children. He was mentally out of control and no longer focused and driven. Out of concern for his own business and the declining mental health, James completely cut his AAS until he was emotionally back in control and was able to re-balance his life. We sometimes forget that the word BODYBUILDING contains the word BODY, not the word muscle in isolation. To me that includes muscle, MIND, body and soul. If even ONE is out of balance, you'll never achieve your potential greatness. James instinctively knew AAS or higher doses of AAS would never bring happiness or completion to ones life if major mental or life issues are not resolved. AAS will ONLY and always compound complications and misery in these very difficult instances.

If you ever had the pleasure to walked outside to James Caprice station wagon and purchase one or more of his fine selections he would open up a 3 tier grey plastic fishing tackle box. Now to the key question. What was in the box, and more importantly how were they dosed? His selection was straight from pharmacies, however just like today's best compounders, they were narrow and specific:

Test Cyp 100mg, (200mg was sometimes available)
Test Prop 100mg,
Sustanon Redijects 250mg
Deca 100mg
Winstrol 2mg or 5mg tabs/ Injectable 50mg/ml water based
Anavar 2.5mg
Dbol 5mg
Adrol 50mg
Halotestin 2.5mg
Nolvadex 10mg

You had to bulk up using ONLY the AAS tools above and you had to diet down using the same AAS. DIET and TRAINING KNOWLEDGE were the key cornerstones to your success. Also notice the doses. One of the reasons we took smaller amounts was because the doses were manufactured in less mg strength. We did not have access to today's 300mg cyp, 300mg deca, 50mg dbol or 25mg anavar. So there was a built in limit to total weekly dose, which was also based on economics and oil volume too. Clomid was available, but Nolvadex was ALWAYS the preferred anti estrogen. There was no need for the extremely powerful anti-estogens you see today used and OVERLY ABUSED.

What was NOT in the tackle box:
Tren
Eq (was available in 50mg strength, but RARE)
Masterone
NPP (Available from Asia from Organon in only 25mg/ml ampules) Yes that is 25mg/ml!!!!
Primo (Available only from Europe in 100mg strength)

Not only were the above items never used but were never even discussed even among the major competitors!!!!!!

Today's looks for beginners on AAS are different from when I began. I can't tell you how many times I have sat back into my chair dumbfounded with someone with very little experience and lean tissue runs complicated doses, cycles and excessive auxiliaries to post up a pictures where they could have looked better, BIGGER and healthier on half the dose and on different selections of AAS. Not only has the looks suffered, but you can see the complicated sides effects mount these days. MENTAL, libido, health, personal relationships, all suffer at a time where the early beginning stages should be the most uncomplicated and enjoyable part of the journey. Unfortunately there are no longer checks and balances in place like in the past.

The race to the finish line is the ultimate goal today. The faster the better. But this new "here and now" philosophy is one of the main reasons for the lack of true new talent at the top. There will continue to be a vacuum until we go back to the marathon mentality. The physiques of the past were developed over STAGES (decades). Each new stage (protocol) was only introduced as muscle tissue growth occurred not backwards as it is today.

They did start AAS young, BUT with checks and balances in place that we no longer have. They all had a "James" to look over them during their initial learning stages. They were not blasting 5 grams of AAS, insulin, GH and synthol at the ages of 18, that I can assure you. Take a HARD look at the 1982 Mr Olympia in terms of the ages of the competitors. Not only are some in the 40's but most are in the 30's. It took this generation 10-15 years to develop a physique only weighing between 180lb to 220lbs. This should be your ultimate base and goal if AAS is your only option. But as you can see it is a long long journey!!!

Second, from the early 1990's, notice the crisp density, hardness, and thickness of the competitors. Take into account they ALSO weighed 40 or so pounds lighter then today's best. I have had the pleasure of sitting in the first few rows of this older generation of bodybuilding contests. I can truly say words cannot describe the look of muscle that lean and in shape without the intramuscular triglycerides and water excessive insulin brings. When flexed the individual fibers dance and vibrate in ways that cannot be seen on TV or in pictures. Seeing them in person did not, and will not ever do them justice.

One last important point. The off-season for this generation was based on the Four Horsemen: Anadrol/Dbol/Deca/Test. And lots and lots of it BUILT OVER TIME. The hard look you see was NOT due to TREN and Masterone, but rather Winstrol, Halo, and nolvadex (Some used Adrol). The final weeks of prep was based on the use of fast acting Test (tapered), Winstrol, Halo and lower amounts of insulin used in the off-season and during prep. Understand the differences!!!!!

DrX......

I loved the old school era, grew up idolizing them. Kept telling myself 'one day when im big....' also those guys were much healthier too! Golden era for sure, hands down better physiques than todaysbmass monsters and the big boys like arnie/lou etc... living to a ripe old age with minimal medical emergencies show theyd done something right. Call me crazy but i dont like the physiques of current olympians.... Steeve Reeves, Reg Park, Frank Zane and many others, yes sir those guys were/are legends. As an old school lifter method person new to the assisted scene knowledge or good knowledge been hard to find, especially distinguishing between legit advice and 'bro science' thank goodness for a few good fellas right here on gymnation schooling me correctly. Personally would use the least amount of whats needed to stay healthy or achieve goals but will never be keen on equine sized amounts and being a mass monster. Aesthetics,healthier body and mind for the win :)

13 hours ago, Biggerbythedaynz said:

I loved the old school era, grew up idolizing them. Kept telling myself 'one day when im big....' also those guys were much healthier too! Golden era for sure, hands down better physiques than todaysbmass monsters and the big boys like arnie/lou etc... living to a ripe old age with minimal medical emergencies show theyd done something right. Call me crazy but i dont like the physiques of current olympians.... Steeve Reeves, Reg Park, Frank Zane and many others, yes sir those guys were/are legends. As an old school lifter method person new to the assisted scene knowledge or good knowledge been hard to find, especially distinguishing between legit advice and 'bro science' thank goodness for a few good fellas right here on gymnation schooling me correctly. Personally would use the least amount of whats needed to stay healthy or achieve goals but will never be keen on equine sized amounts and being a mass monster. Aesthetics,healthier body and mind for the win :)

If you can find it on here, read the post "Why You Should Not Frontload".. It explains the basics of employing low dose AAS, and the reasons for increasing the dose slowly for maximal effect and minimal side effects..!!