Handstand pushups

M4matty

On 28/08/2017 at 0:10 AM, Pseudonym said:

I haven't done them for a while. But they're good - I should definitely get back into them. My goal was to eventually do them balancing without a wall to prop me up.

Cracked my 5th in my lifetime tonight lol. Good fun learning to do it but it just takes ages getting your body used to not being a wobbly piece of shit ?

3 hours ago, FellowshipOfTheRon said:

i would like to try these some time just afraid i'll snap my neck up or something lol.

what level of base strength do you need before jumping in to it? eg. if you weigh 60kg should you be able to strict military press 60 kg certain number of reps before attempting handstand pushups?

Wouldn't worry about it too much, if you can overhead press like 80% of your BW, you can easily do these (once you get used to the stabilisation). For some people getting over the fear of being upside down is the hardest part lol, spent hours watching my flatmate fail just trying to kick his legs up... ?

If you're not used to being upside down then I suggest instead of flicking your legs up, walk up in reverse against the wall (so your stomach ends up facing the wall). Get used to just holding that for 30-60 seconds. Then once you're able to hold it comfortably, try the hand stand pushup. 

I actually did both military press and handstand pushups tonight - having done neither for quite a while. I didn't go all out on the MP, but it was reasonably challenging on a relatively light weight - as I'd expected it would be. So I was pleasantly surprised at how many HSPU I could do... way more than I was military pressing with a much lighter weight. My point is, the two are obviously related, but don't think you have to be able to military press your body weight in order to do a handstand pushup. (The key to a successful HSPU is locking your core tight, btw - floppiness makes things 10x harder.)

Another good way to ease yourself into it is doing a pike pushup with your feet on a bench:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 0:10 AM, Pseudonym said:

I haven't done them for a while. But they're good - I should definitely get back into them. My goal was to eventually do them balancing without a wall to prop me up.

You should start with the Frogstand, gain balance using your fingertips and palms then progress this into a handstand. I've been doing a bit of calisthenics lately to get better control over my body.