NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community

Hey

I can't do a single full pushup, would it be realistic to aim to be able to do a couple in two weeks?

My cardio is fine, I'm just pretty weak... 

Jesus m8 haha.

Well why don't you start doing some cheat ones if you can? Just using your knees as the point of contact with the ground instead of your feet? Can you do that or nah?

are you quite overweight by chance? what is weight/roughly how fat are you (out of curiosity).

it could be more beneficial to just hit the gym for a little while atleast to help you build up the shoulders/chest/arms.

6 hours ago, weakling said:

Fairly average female build, 1.7m and 58kg

Most girls can't do a proper pushup first try, so definitely don't be embarrassed by it lol.

Like ratz said, just do knee push-ups and like you've been doing, pushing actions against counter tops and the like.

You can also do it daily unless you're going to absolute failure. 

1 hour ago, weakling said:

Fairly average female build, 1.7m and 58kg

ah ok just need to build those muscles and more important, your connection to those muscles up. adjustable machines at gyms would help but like they've already suggested above, knee pushups could get you there too if you start from something like 20 a day in morning, 20 a day in afternoon, then increase that number by 5 each day until you hit a wall. the starting point of 20 may be a bit much, so adjust it to your own ability. the other approaches (and these are just general approaches people take to increase their pushup max in general) is to set a number like 100 and do as many sets as it takes until you reach that number. could that that while watching tv in the afternoon or something. if studying a lot then take micro break every hour and do 20 pushups every time you take a short walk around to rest the eyes/go toilet or something. the key is repetition, once you have the muscle connection it's easier to develop that muscle. cardio vascular fitness will also help depending on what your goal is.

22 hours ago, weakling said:

I know, it's so pathetic!!

Yeah and I've been doing them against higher objects like a desk

Haha nah I didn't mean it in a mean way. At the end of the day everyone has to start somewhere. At least you're keen to try and improve etc, which is awesome.

good things take time and practice,like the boys said just do half ones.pull ups are the hard ones lol,ive seen big fellas out there who cant do 1 hahaha its more about strength.Get your self nice and strong,get sum carbs into you,and eat your greens lol eat that stuff popeye eats lol its good.keep it up,stay positive and become a machine.

ahh thanks guys!!!

18 hours ago, FatGig said:

And i think we could have you doing one in a couole weeks.Dont forget to have a rest day inbetween if you chest is sore and a good stretch too.What age are you

i'm 18 

Yea well plenty of time then.Im no expert but just keep at it.Theres plenty of other things you can do to strengthen up your chest as well to get ready for the push up.proper food plenty of water and keep chipping away