NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter1

Looking for a mentor.

G'day guys. New here and have read as much as I can. 

Relatively new to lifting. A few years on the dark side (crossfit), now keen to put on some size. Naturally skinny 180cm and 76kg. 

After someone to give first hand experience and advice and a point in the right direction. Am Hawkes Bay based. 

Cheers

76kg at 180 isn't too bad, must already have a bit of muscle from CrossFit ? I started at 72kg at 184 and wasnt too twig-like.

All the best with your search for a mentor mate!

11 hours ago, ShaanRB said:

76kg at 180 isn't too bad, must already have a bit of muscle from CrossFit ? I started at 72kg at 184 and wasnt too twig-like.

Cheers mate. I was 68kg when I started crossfit so have definitely put on some muscle but can't seem to gain anymore. 

2 hours ago, kiwicannon said:

Op not sure what advice your seeking? is it AAS related?or just lifting and diet advice?

G'day. After both really. Focus here is AAS specific advice but at the same time accepting I'm pretty green with lifting and nutrition. 

20 minutes ago, Hunter1 said:

G'day. After both really. Focus here is AAS specific advice but at the same time accepting I'm pretty green with lifting and nutrition. 

Ask away..

Righteo then. And thanks again in advance - really appreciate it. 

1. Where can I find a good comprehensive something to read that explains how to start? I have read a lot of technical and confusing things but never with any explanation or context. 

2. Do I need to start with some blood tests like I read a lot of guys do?

3. How to source? I know I can't ask to be hooked up on the public forum, but advice on how to go about this? 

4. A basic list of do's and donts. What has and hasn't worked for you experienced guys? What do you wish someone told you at the start? 

5. For my height and weight, what would you recommend. Starting light would be my preference. 

6. How does nutrition effect results?

ill ask more questions as they come to mind. 

thanks again all. Great community here it seems. 

2 hours ago, Hunter1 said:

Cheers mate. I was 68kg when I started crossfit so have definitely put on some muscle but can't seem to gain anymore. 

Can't gain anymore? Wut.

Not to flame, but have you tried eating ? Eating in calorie excess lolz. 

Haha fair enough Ratz.

I do eat an absolute shitload however. But agree - it's simple maths of calories in vs out and i should probably eat more.

I don't count calories or macros etc but man do i eat. I've always been naturally skinny with a high metabolism. As soon as i stop working out i drop straight back to 68-70kg or so. This was always handy in a previous life when i used to fight for sport and always had to make weight limits. Now, not so much.

I'm eating at least every couple hours, double dinners and having ON Serious Mass once a day (that's 1250 calories per serve i think). As well as 1-2 normal ON gold standard protein shakes a day depending on how many times i work out each day. Body fat is low (not measured) but good defintion across whole body.

13 minutes ago, Hunter1 said:

Haha fair enough Ratz.

I do eat an absolute shitload however. But agree - it's simple maths of calories in vs out and i should probably eat more.

I don't count calories or macros etc but man do i eat. I've always been naturally skinny with a high metabolism. As soon as i stop working out i drop straight back to 68-70kg or so. This was always handy in a previous life when i used to fight for sport and always had to make weight limits. Now, not so much.

I'm eating at least every couple hours, double dinners and having ON Serious Mass once a day (that's 1250 calories per serve i think). As well as 1-2 normal ON gold standard protein shakes a day depending on how many times i work out each day. Body fat is low (not measured) but good defintion across whole body.

Fair enough bro, I guess different things work for different people too. I found I had to eat until I felt sick sometimes ;-D

Yeah man for sure different things for different people. This is the sort of advice i also need though - so thanks. Is it a 100% sure thing that i need to be eating more or with a bit of 'chemical assistance' is it possible i'll get the gians im after while still eating my current amount? All help appreciated.

Thanks

59 minutes ago, Hunter1 said:

Yeah man for sure different things for different people. This is the sort of advice i also need though - so thanks. Is it a 100% sure thing that i need to be eating more or with a bit of 'chemical assistance' is it possible i'll get the gians im after while still eating my current amount? All help appreciated.

Thanks

Well whether on gear or not, to elicit weight gain in general, you need to consume more calories
than your body uses.

If your diet is Not on point, taking stuff won't help, and you'll likely be disappointed with the outcome,
/ expect the juice to magically take care of everything which it won't.

Cheers Ratz.

That's something i'm definitely green with - nutrition. I've always just gone for quantity over quality with trying to get as much food/calories in as possible. As long as i get the protein my body needs, then does the rest of the calories matter? I don't think im at risk of getting fat that's for sure.

Sorry if a dumb question.

20 hours ago, ShaanRB said:

Huh 72 at 184 not too twig-like.... thats almost just skin and bones at that height...

11 hours ago, Hunter1 said:

green with lifting and nutrition.

Jesus man forget AAS!!! won't do jack shit for someone like you! , I'm not sure if your trolling or not? but eating well spaced out healthy nutritious meals with a combination of protein, carbs and healthy fats is a good start. or even better employ a nutritionalist so all you have to do is just eat what food plan has been layed out for you.............BUT depends if your disciplined or not to follow it. Lifting weights is a no brainer hire a PT or jump on you tube learn the basics and work from there.

Definitely not trolling. I do know a little bit about nutrition and a bit more about lifting. Have been Olympic lifting and doing more compound movements for a few years. Just acknowledging I don't know as much as you lot and seeking advice. Thanks for yours kc 

I reckon just eat more and be paitent.

Personally I'd never jump on any gear, but each to their own. But I suggest you take full advantage of your natural potential before going down that route. You may find with proper nutrition and training that your progress is satisfactory (which if you're being impaitent is fucking unlikely). 

Think about why you want to get bigger/stronger too, and if it's something you intend to monetize, if not, again I suggest don't go down the gear route. But again, just my personal opinion. 

In regards to getting the calories in, maybe have that mass gainer in some oats with peanut butter. Easy way to bump that up. Fats in general, although satiating, can quickly bulk up your calorie intake. 

Hunter1 my bro, get some yum yum in yourself brother, try the following link, even if you don't buy anything at least it'll give you an idea of  what to eat, https://musclefuel.co.nz/ . Bro look at it this way, muscle growth does not come from going to the gym alone, you gotta have everything dialled in, training, nutrition and rest. Eat like a horse, train like a beast and sleep like a baby (not the one that wakes every 2 hours crying for tit, : )).

What has been said.Im new to this board and no expert but if you dont have diet and training on point theres no point getting gear.All the supplement shakes pills in the world will never substitute hard work and disciplin because there is no substitute for that.If your still a little lost like has been said why not go see a nutritionalst and explain what you want to do and give that a run.Diet is where it starts before anything else.If thats not on point youll find it hard to achive what you want.Only my 2 cents. Im no expert

1 hour ago, Bruce Al said:

Nail some pizzas for desert and drink a couple litres of chocolate milk per day after mash potatoes and cheese. f*ck those kumara at 9$ kg 

Holy.

And I thought tomatoes were taking the piss.  Good thing I got the rice cooker out of storage.

8 hours ago, Kalidane said:

Holy.

And I thought tomatoes were taking the piss.  Good thing I got the rice cooker out of storage.

Mash potatoes and cheese chased with chocolate milk is great post work out feed gee.