Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Foam rollers

5 posts in this topic

Keen for some input into routines or links for rolling various parts out. Especially legs, hope and back. @maccaz what was your go to for your rehab/prehab?

im def far from an expert on this topic, only learning bits and pieces out of necessity.

recently ive been hearing a lot that research says foam rolling does nothing. i havent looked deep into this though.

i use a hard ball and roll into sore spots in my glutes and quads + i spend time outside of gym stretching, rather than just pre workout.

id recommend watching some youtube videos on your problem areas by the following guys

the muscle doctor - jordan shallow

kelly starrett

and go from there

gazza likes this

Cheers mate, anything helps. I'm pretty limited in knowledge here too but always keen to learn.

Mostly round my scapula area on my butchered side and the ITB.

I get achy knees from time to time, and quad stretching and foam rolling helps massively. I can't attribute the fix solely to foam rolling, but the combination of the two certainly works.

Having said that, I have found a lot of foam rollers in gyms to be so soft they're basically useless. Like Maccaz, I use a hard medicine ball, which also concentrates the pressure in one spot more than a roller.

gazza likes this

If using a cricket ball on a trigger point elicits a bunch of spasms, that's kinda bad.  It means enough pressure is being applied to damage fibres, or the spasms themselves cause the damage.  I forget which.

Got schooled this week after thinking it was a good thing for ages.

Foam rolling through the thoracic region feels pretty good and I haven't heard of it being contra-indicated.  Yet.

gazza likes this