Steroids Research

22 hours ago, hamdanz said:

Cool!  Good luck!

I had my research presented at a consumer culture theory conference in Helsinki, and an article was published in the Australasian marketing journal or something,  so definitely recommend working towards a thesis.  It's a great topic I reckon, you could really get some new understanding in the area.

Thanks for the support! It is very small-scale at the moment but I am hoping to expand on it further in the future. I think it is really important for groups/cultures to have their own voices heard - and it is particularly important with communities that use performance-enhancing drugs as there is a lot of stereotyping/stigma/fearmongering. 

3 hours ago, eddie said:

I would be very careful in helping this person with there research i had a good friend help someone else out with there research similar subject and got totally screwed by them be careful.

Hey eddie, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's bad experience with participating in research. I completely understand that it would be incredibly discouraging and a total breach of trust. I take the confidentiality of the research very seriously and I appreciate that it is of the utmost importance. I know that some people don't want to speak about their experiences with those outside of the community, and that's 100% fine. 

2 hours ago, Realtalk said:

To be honest the young and dumb are these days the majority of users. It is becoming more uncommon to find people who have good knowledge on the whole subject. So her results will probably represent the majority I would say. Personally I wouldn't meet someone I didn't know and spill my guts for $500 worth of vouchers, but that's just me and doesn't mean no one will do it. Anyway I hope you get enough info to make it successful.

Thanks for the support. I totally respect those that would never want to discuss it with a researcher!

12 hours ago, hamdanz said:

Qualitative research isn't designed to be representative of a culture of people by generalisation. It is to get a deeper understanding of a subculture with little current understanding.  It's exploratory, setting the path for future more robust research.

You talk some shite..

41 minutes ago, hamdanz said:

Considering I did a qualitative thesis which had articles published from it, I think whilst talking "shit", I do kinda know what I'm talking about.

That would depend upon results, not the fact you conducted it..

Feel free to share your work..

1 hour ago, hamdanz said:

Considering I did a qualitative thesis which had articles published from it, I think whilst talking "shit", I do kinda know what I'm talking about.

Dunno about on this forum, but most people I roll with at the gym have knocked out a few theses and had shit they've written published in scientific journals. I remember when i was doing my first PhD having a discussion with a couple of my professors about the apparent decline in quality of peer reviewed published material. Interestingly enough that is the research topic which I based one of my current PhDs on.

On 5/26/2017 at 7:17 AM, eddie said:

I would be very careful in helping this person with there research i had a good friend help someone else out with there research similar subject and got totally screwed by them be careful.

A good mate of mine had this happen also. Literally got screwed as well as figuratively. He fucked the researcher and it grew into a regular thing 3-4 months later she 'forgot' to take her pill and got knocked up. Mates gf found out and took the kids and fucked off. My mate stopped seeing/fucking the research c*nt a month after that as she had a screw or two loose in the head, but she ended up keeping the baby. Now hes paying child support for 3 kids, and to top it all off the bitch didn't even finish her PhD because of the baby so the whole thing was a waste of time anyway.

15 hours ago, hamdanz said:

That would depend on my results? You clearly have no grasp on qualitative research whatsoever.  

I have worked on research projects with Oxford and Bradford Universities for over 10 years, I currently work in medicine, I am aware of qualitative research and its methodology..

On 27/05/2017 at 4:29 PM, hamdanz said:

This thread has turned pretty negative to be fair, when all the girl wants is some help with participants, and it turns into a discussion about how her study is flawed etc.

Welcome to the Internet.

Having been involved with several studys on AAS over the years.. I am naturally sceptical of yet another..

Come on guys, this doesn't need to become a dick-measuring contest. It's not about who's the better researcher, and who's had what study published where.

In asking about qualitative research and sample sizes, I just wanted to understand how it worked. Hamdanz explained it as preliminary research. (Google seems to agree with him Daz, but if you disagree, please say why rather than just calling it shite.)

So qualitative research can be the process of a researcher saying, "I'm thinking of doing some studies in general area of X... now what are some specific things that need to be investigated?" If that's the case, it makes perfect sense, and I can see why a small group of subjects is not as detrimental is it would be in a quantitative study.

On 27/05/2017 at 4:29 PM, hamdanz said:

This thread has turned pretty negative to be fair, when all the girl wants is some help with participants, and it turns into a discussion about how her study is flawed etc.

I agree. All of us here have common ground in loving research, so let's keep things civil. Say your 2c, then move on.

This is probably the most interesting discussion that I've seen on this website in months. No one is attacking the OP personally so I don't really see why this somewhat related topic can't be discussed? I doubt she gives a f*ck what people she will probably never meet on the internet think.

Anyway, on sample size:

"DePaulo (2000) contends that sample size plays an important role, not just in quantitative research, but, also in qualitative research. The idea that sample size does not matter in qualitative research may stem from the perception that it is suitable for testing and estimating quantities. Perhaps, the impact of increasing sample size from statistical perspective is to minimize sampling error. This reason might be a hard sell to justify increasing the sample 

size in qualitative studies. But, in qualitative research just like quantitative research attempt is made to identify something or explain or account for causes of something. For instance, a qualitative researcher may want to find out whether consumers are satisfied with a particular product or otherwise and account for reasons for satisfaction and otherwise or obstacles 
consumers may face with the use of particular product etc. 

Commenting further he notes that the gist of the matter is that in order to come up with 
credible findings, qualitative sample size must be large enough to ensure that the widest possible coverage of research subjects perceptions or opinions are accounted for. It is likely to be the case that even with attention restricted to a target market; different groups of consumers may have different perceptions depending on age, gender, social status, affiliations, social networks etc. This suggests that depending on the nature of the research theme, small sample size may create problem in qualitative research, given that the smaller 
the sample size, the more likely that the perceptions solicited and gathered would be limited and may bias the results upward or downward. On the other hand, the larger the sample size, the less chance of failure in terms of failing to uncover perception or opinion that researchers might want to know."

Can't be fucked searching for and copy pasting something about sampling method. Google 'non-probability sampling' if you struggle to see how the proposed method could introduce sample bias affecting conclusions drawn from either quantitative or qualitative research.

Edited by PETN

On 5/28/2017 at 11:00 PM, Pseudonym said:

So qualitative research can be the process of a researcher saying, "I'm thinking of doing some studies in general area of X... now what are some specific things that need to be investigated?" If that's the case, it makes perfect sense, and I can see why a small group of subjects is not as detrimental is it would be in a quantitative study.

This.

Just to provide you all an update on my research progress, I have completed 5 interviews so far. I have funded enough vouchers for another 5 interviews if anyone in the Wellington region is interested in participating. If you are not in Wellington but you are interested in participating, you are welcome to email your details through to me. I will likely not be able to interview you for this particular phase in my research, but I would love to hold on to some details of people willing to be contacted in the next 18 months or so if I take this research further. Cheers for the interest.

Look.  This is a small scale study.  OBVIOUSLY.  Its not even a dissertation let  alone a thesis by the sounds of it.

Indepth interviews typically last 1-2 hours, which results in 50 - 100s of pages of transcript per interview.

Now how the f*ck this chick gonna interview 50 people?

In qualitative research, 6 - 10 participants is perfectly fine.

With all due respect, the piece of literature chosen and copy and pasted above just shows Petn has very limited understanding of qualitative research.  Which is fine.  Not many do.  I think he just did a quick google and chose the first thing that proved his point.

Qualititive research sampling often uses theoretical sampling, by which participants are chosen based on research findings.  Data is analysed, and the direction of the research stipulates who needs to be researched.  E.g. Different ages and experience levels to contrast initial findings.  Also, criterion sampling.  The sample size is irrelevant.  When findings become saturated, and there are no new directions or questions asked, then that's when you know you've reached a suitable sample size.

On 5/28/2017 at 5:36 PM, Daz69 said:

Having been involved with several studys on AAS over the years.. I am naturally sceptical of yet another..

Someone in medicine understanding qualitative research methods is the same as a doctor taking a chiropractor seriously.

6 hours ago, hamdanz said:

Look.  This is a small scale study.  OBVIOUSLY.  Its not even a dissertation let  alone a thesis by the sounds of it.

Indepth interviews typically last 1-2 hours, which results in 50 - 100s of pages of transcript per interview.

Now how the f*ck this chick gonna interview 50 people?

In qualitative research, 6 - 10 participants is perfectly fine.

With all due respect, the piece of literature chosen and copy and pasted above just shows Petn has very limited understanding of qualitative research.  Which is fine.  Not many do.  I think he just did a quick google and chose the first thing that proved his point.

Qualititive research sampling often uses theoretical sampling, by which participants are chosen based on research findings.  Data is analysed, and the direction of the research stipulates who needs to be researched.  E.g. Different ages and experience levels to contrast initial findings.  Also, criterion sampling.  The sample size is irrelevant.  When findings become saturated, and there are no new directions or questions asked, then that's when you know you've reached a suitable sample size.

Yes ok br0, but saturation doesn't occur when you interview only a small number of people. In terms of the question she's asking there are a lot more than 6 different reasons guys that even I know have used steroids for. That's the point I was making and I understand what qualitative means you fuckwit.

13 hours ago, hamdanz said:

Someone in medicine understanding qualitative research methods is the same as a doctor taking a chiropractor seriously.

That shows what you know about medicine... 

1 hour ago, Daz69 said:

That shows what you know about medicine... 

Well I do know absolutely nothing about medicine, and just used a massive generalisation based on an assumption it's probably largely statistics based data.

Imo, qualitiative research is perfect for the exploration of feelings and crap associated to a certain subculture, regardless of the limitations of the research methods chosen by the particular researcher.  So I'm sure she'll find some sweet knowledge nuggets.

8 hours ago, PETN said:

That's the point I was making and I understand what qualitative means you fuckwit.

Point taken ass jockey. :)