Weighlifting Shoes?

14 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

So ive been making gains and have upgrade from 10kg dumbells to grunty 12.5kg dbells!

As a result of this awesome gaining am needing to make sure im properly grounded to mother earths gravitational pull so am in search of some weightlifting shoes suppliers would be great in Auckland if possible. 

Now due to heavy lifting of epic proportions i need to be so secure in the knowledge that these epic moon boots can handle it, when i go for a PB and add an extra 10 that when i push up the earth pushes down. Now style is not so much of a concern but would ideally like these new sneakers to be so awesome that when i wear em to bed on a friday night and the mrs says 'take your shoes off' i can confidently reply 'nah babe, they give me added traction!' Hopefully i wont be pink stickered or get my priviledges license revoked. If you guys know where to get any locally preferably with ankle support please share the info? Else id feel a real tool rocking air jordans in the free weights section coz the only air ill be experiencing is hot air side effects from the whey protein and pre-workout. :) :) :) thanks guys

Pseudonym likes this

26 minutes ago, maccaz said:

converse 

I have converse that I got recently and would not dare lift in them. Polish them once every 3 days. Will replace with doc martens when I can afford them.

Just wear flat sole shoes if you are lifting 12kgs or just in general. Would not ever be seen wearing sneakers in the gym or anywhere.

I Have Nike romaleos and would recommend them for squatting.

2 minutes ago, GyzzBrah said:

I have converse that I got recently and would not dare lift in them. Polish them once every 3 days. Will replace with doc martens when I can afford them.

Just wear flat sole shoes if you are lifting 12kgs or just in general. Would not ever be seen wearing sneakers in the gym or anywhere.

I Have Nike romaleos and would recommend them for squatting.

you are kidding right re polishing converse?

why would you recommend romaleos for squatting? for any particular reason ?

Just now, maccaz said:

you are kidding right re polishing converse?

why would you recommend romaleos for squatting? for any particular reason ?

Mine are leather Bro. I squat in flats too and would do so if I wasn't gifted the romaleos ages ago. Nothing wrong with doing so, but between the two the weightlifting shoes are obviously much better in keeping my feet stable and not caving inwards. With heavier weights rubber soles aren't as ideal either.

HAve not tried other brands but I'm satisfied with the ones I have.

Not sure what op wants them for but any flat sole shoes are fine imo for non squatting lifting but if they insist on weightlifting shoes I'd rate romaleos.

Hi everyone

Thank you for the comments :)

The shoes are indeed for squatting,leg press etc... where support is needed for ankles for the heavier days.

I had thought to go with air jordans as i have been battling to find weighlifting shoes however i may use the curry 3 suggestion above instead.

Also the upgrading from 10 to 12 kgs was in jest. I do lift a lot heavier than that hence the requirement for ankle supporting shoes. Hope the humor in the post caused a few smiles!

Appreciate the help guys thanks very much

Realtalk likes this

Why are you having trouble finding places to buy a weightlifting  shoes? I think most guys buy them online. But if you want a bricks and mortar store, there's a CrossFit shop over in Albany (you're in Auckland, right?) I can't remember it's name offhand, but I'm sure a quick Google search would provide the answer.

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

Why are you having trouble finding places to buy a weightlifting  shoes? I think most guys buy them online. But if you want a bricks and mortar store, there's a CrossFit shop over in Albany (you're in Auckland, right?) I can't remember it's name offhand, but I'm sure a quick Google search would provide the answer.

Hi Pseudonym

I hadnt googled 'crossfit' stores but when i did i foud fit power if thats the one? I was looking more for otomix patriot/stingray and was first wanting to purchase locally for two reasons one being getting appropriate fit as well as supporting a local business. I had found adipowers but was after ankle support as well not just sneaker variant. Thought the guys here may of had a company in nz they were supporting which also took the fuss out of an online and potentially incorrect purchase. Wouldnt be polishing my converse as above comment for example ;)

Never seen Otomix in a shop here...

Here's a couple of other choices: 

GetStrength have these: http://store.getstrength.com/deadlifting-shoes-flat-grip-sole/  and

Powerfit NZ have the awesome Metal boots: http://powerfit.nz/powerlifting-shoes-ipf-approved-go971024

Bu, if you want a boot with a rigid raised heel, you're out of luck - I've never heard of one.

Biggerbythedaynz likes this

Wrestling shoes online are good by the sound of it. Like what BG uses. eastbay i think. Ive got the Reebok crossfit lite(power shoe) they are good, like a upgraded chuck. But they are around 130 mark, and are harder to get hold of now 

People are obsessed with shoes and lifting. Every second comment on Brett's Instagram is asking about shoes. The guy should make his own shoe, would make a fortune off all these stupid idiots. Powerlifters and shoes ffs. basketball players don't  fuss over their shoes as much lol.

Bigken1985 likes this

Thanks for the comments everyone. Just with getting stronger and not having good ankle strength , being a bit more stable was the goal. Thanks to all who commented much appreciated