NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community

Hey guys,

What’s the best training routine to maximize arm gains?

I’m not training just to get big arms, I have pretty skinny arms and would like to put on some arm mass as I’m an athlete.

I’m happy with my strength: 90kg bench (7 reps x 3 sets), 165kg squat (7 reps x 3 sets) and size of other muscles (still quite skinny, but okay compared to arms).

Could you please include reps/sets/rest/number of exercises, briefly why it would be the best routine and if you know an article can you link it.

Appreciate your knowledge icon_smile.png

I always found the best routine to train arms was to lift a weight from point a to point b. Really did me wonders.

But seriously there is no 1 perfect routine sets or reps. Go do an arm sesh and figure out what works for you.

What you do is not as important as how you do it. If you have a weak body part you have to first focus on form so you can feel the muscle working through a full range of motion then push til they can't do anymore reps properly. You can grow your arms using just db curls and lying extensions you just have to do them properly and with intensity. 

20 hours ago, HarryB said:

What you do is not as important as how you do it. If you have a weak body part you have to first focus on form so you can feel the muscle working through a full range of motion then push til they can't do anymore reps properly. You can grow your arms using just db curls and lying extensions you just have to do them properly and with intensity. 

How many days should I lift?

Hey Peter, welcome!

Generally speaking, I think twice a week is a good balance between increasing the workload, but still allowing sufficient time for recovery. Any more often than that, and you're probably shooting yourself in the foot.

Remember it's not just about biceps... triceps actually contribute more to the overall arm size, so hit them hard too.

Biceps and triceps also get hit when you train back and chest, so if you want to work them twice a week, a good way of arranging your routine is to combine them with the opposing workout...

- Chest (which automatically uses triceps) + biceps

- Back (which automatically uses biceps) + triceps

Do those on a Monday and Thursday for maximum recovery, throw in some shoulders/legs/abs workouts on the other days, and you've got yourself a routine!

PETN - your comment is not helpful. Whatever numbers Peter may be lifting is completely irrelevant to this discussion. (Although for the record, a 165kg squat for 7 reps ain't bad IMO!)