NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
RichardsonPiana

Unusual or lesser known exercises

Hey guys, have noticed of late that my workouts tend to consist more and more of some pretty unusual exercises, thought id start a thread for people to post some of theirs. 

Ill kick things off with the bradford press, this is one of my favourite shoulder exercises, It basically involves alternating between a front press and a behind the neck press, I simply use the barbell with no weight added and go to failure. I usually cant do behind the neck or any overhead pressing due to shoulder issues but this exercise for me is low impact and focuses on volume, it gives you a great burn if you push to failure. I have a number of other lesser known exercises to share but this is good to kick things off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD6XoIXGmDI

thats a pretty crappy rom bro. Just because something is "burning" doesn't mean it's doing anything apart from becoming fatigued and building up lactic acid if I stood on my tip toes for 10minutes my calves would be burning. But it's much more beneficial to take the calf muscle through multiple contractions and a full rom. That Bradford press is just half reps and you can't even use much weight on it.

3 hours ago, Realtalk said:

thats a pretty crappy rom bro. Just because something is "burning" doesn't mean it's doing anything apart from becoming fatigued and building up lactic acid if I stood on my tip toes for 10minutes my calves would be burning. But it's much more beneficial to take the calf muscle through multiple contractions and a full rom. That Bradford press is just half reps and you can't even use much weight on it.

3 hours ago, Realtalk said:

If you are using the full ROM it is no different to going high reps on either front press or behind the neck press individually, and for someone with shoulder issues it is a good way to safely do overhead press movements with minimal risk. Unless you are going for strength gains, high volume lifting will yield pretty much the same results as low volume when purely looking at building size....

He's not using the full rom though!

And even so... WHY? You can't use as much weight behind the neck as you can in front of it so why would you sacrifice that to mix them both together.

I get it, looks amazing and wonderful to someone who doesn't know shit from shinola. But it Makes no sense to me.

15 hours ago, Realtalk said:

He's not using the full rom though!

And even so... WHY? You can't use as much weight behind the neck as you can in front of it so why would you sacrifice that to mix them both together.

I get it, looks amazing and wonderful to someone who doesn't know shit from shinola. But it Makes no sense to me.

Personally I avoid doing any heavy movements above the head simply due to the position it puts my shoulders in. You have to keep in mind that this exercise places your delts under constant tension, which as you should know (I hope you know, lol) is a key to muscle growth, its a constant tension exercise...hence the reason not to use much weight.  The reason to do this as opposed to a front/behind the neck individually is because its a way to hit the entire delt with enormous volume and under constant tension, safely (due to the lack of weight). Really don't understand what is so difficult to understand here, there are many great muscle building exercises that lack proper ROM and/or merely rely on tension.

Heavy ohp isn't bad for your shoulders bro. Imo bench press is actually worse for them due to the position you are in. But anyway. I'm not arguing anything about time under tension or constant tension which is btw a term I hate and most people don't even apply the principle of it to their training properly it's just an excuse to do half arse reps. You can do full rom movements and still have the muscle under load for the entirety of the set without resting. Imagine that lol. so what does a shoulder workout look like for you bro? 

Due to my shoulder impingement OHP with any decent amount of weight always, without fail f**k my shoulders up, for some reason bench doesn't tend to affect me in the same way. My shoulder workouts recently consist of lateral raises, heavy single arm jammers, cable rear delt fly, rope face pulls for rear delts, bradford press and lastly a side lateral to front raise maybe super setted with front plate raise. Dont really do much to hit front delts because they are usually hit sufficiently training chest.