NZ's bodybuilding, strength and fitness community
Sign in to follow this  
urbano

Joining gyms like Powerhouse, are you just set loose ?

When you join one of the commercial/chain type of  gyms they often get the new member to go along and have a session with a trainer and get a program of sorts.

I realise places like Powerhouse don't have PT's but how does it all unfold ? Is it just sign up and  that's it, the rest is on you ? By that I mean what if a person comes in off the street and signs up and has no lifting experience, needs to know rep, set structure etc.  Is it a case of if you can't figure it out f*ck off ? 

17 minutes ago, urbano said:

When you join one of the commercial/chain type of  gyms they often get the new member to go along and have a session with a trainer and get a program of sorts.

I realise places like Powerhouse don't have PT's but how does it all unfold ? Is it just sign up and  that's it, the rest is on you ? By that I mean what if a person comes in off the street and signs up and has no lifting experience, needs to know rep, set structure etc.  Is it a case of if you can't figure it out f*ck off ? 

No experience with those gyms but the easiest way to learn is to ask someone (the guy in the gym you aspire to look like/lift like most). That's easier said than done though because not everyone is friendly and communicative, but I'm sure you'll find someone who can help you out. Otherwise it seems pretty common to post here requesting a lifting buddy and that's probably the best way to go initially (hopefully they are experienced), so that they can monitor your technique (form and contraction) consistently, because that's the biggest concern early on.

Alternatively, YouTube is an excellent resource for both exercise and nutrition advice and entertainment to boot. However this doesn't provide feedback on your own technique and recording your workouts and replaying them to critique your form isnt very effective when you may not know what to look for. 

The PTs at the commercial gyms honestly don't teach you that much (not their fault always) because they don't have the time/motivation unless you sign up with them on a regular basis. 

Summary: Lifting buddy. 

2 minutes ago, urbano said:

Just checking this isn't a typo..it would be the best place ?

Compared to a commercial gym I think lifting focused gyms are probably better for you because the people there know what they are doing and are obviously passionate about the same thing you are looking to get into it. I'm guessing that's what he means. 

Most of the time when you join a commercial gym you get a 30min free session. Which depending on the gym is usually with a personal trainer and all they are doing is trying to upsell you to train with them (pissing in your ear). In other words it's useless, what on earth are you going to learn in 30minutes apart from how to be ripped off. Worthless.

I also imagine that a guy who joins a powerhouse is interested in what they do there and those guys are very very friendly and the boss has about 700 million years of experience and a lot of time for anyone who's keen. What you find in the hole in the wall gyms is a collection of people with a bit more of a common interest who are working hard toward a goal. The big chain gyms don't really have that. Just a bunch of wankers trying to monetize their 2 week pt course. 

If you're not a dick, people will help you :)

Les Mills won't give you a personal trainer they'll give you what they call a "gymee" which is one of the people who works front desk/walks the floor - they have minimal exp most of the time but know enough to explain how machines work. I think if you can sign up to gym forums you can google search for videos on how to do exercises and beginner training programs.

Powerhouse the members there, least the ones I know will happily help with technique and spotting and Warren the owner who's a member on here will also be more than happy to offer programming and advice.

If you can't figure it out then I would suggest asking before "fucking off" as you mentioned. Learning takes years and years. It's not a one session and you're a master kind of a thing.

There's always "mentors" around at Powerhouse. The older guys give back to the young and it goes on like this for years. Give it a go and make yourself known to Warren (my coach) he'll make you awesome.

4 hours ago, donz said:

Powerhouse the members there, least the ones I know will happily help with technique and spotting and Warren the owner who's a member on here will also be more than happy to offer programming and advice.

If you can't figure it out then I would suggest asking before "fucking off" as you mentioned. Learning takes years and years. It's not a one session and you're a master kind of a thing.

27 minutes ago, M.T said:

There's always "mentors" around at Powerhouse. The older guys give back to the young and it goes on like this for years. Give it a go and make yourself known to Warren (my coach) he'll make you awesome.

15 hours ago, HarryB said:

I also imagine that a guy who joins a powerhouse is interested in what they do there and those guys are very very friendly and the boss has about 700 million years of experience and a lot of time for anyone who's keen. What you find in the hole in the wall gyms is a collection of people with a bit more of a common interest who are working hard toward a goal. 

If you're not a dick, people will help you :)

thanks for the replies, it has been really enlightening.

I had pictured the environment to be more a case of  'F*ck up,don't ask for help and if you don't like that  f*ck off" but it seems it may be quite different.

I'm weak as f$ck ..sounds like I'll have to join up one day.

10 hours ago, M.T said:

Everyone walks out of Powerhouse 10x stronger.

how does programming work ? just take your own in and go for it ? Get tweaks /corrections and advice from seasoned folks as you go ? 

9 hours ago, urbano said:

how does programming work ? just take your own in and go for it ? Get tweaks /corrections and advice from seasoned folks as you go ? 

Pretty much this. Warren is a coach so if you got serious you can pay for his mentor-ship for a modest price. Almost everyone at that time started on 5x5 then took on Smolov and graduated to Russian Strength programs.

I have been known to have my off days when I will not let people join or even enter these are mainly tyre kickers some I have told to go away put on another 15kgs and comeback (Strongman in the making).  Places like The House  are where lifters train as opposed to working out like a Commercial or Shiny Land Gym.  As  Wookie said 2 guys came in seen what was there and walked out we have the same happen here you are greeted by  13 Squat racks that puts a lot of people  off.  You need some sort of goal and a some sort of plan on where you want to go or be, then you can start building towards that.  Strength is a marathon not a sprint so it wont happen overnight, but if you are in the right environment then it can happen a bit quicker.

What I tell prospective members is that

We are a Sewer Gym 

"You Put Shit In

You Get Shit Out"

You should come down on a Squat night which is every night, see some of members lifting and if you like the feel of the place then go from there if you don't quite jell then no harm done

OB 

On 2/23/2017 at 5:04 PM, Old Bull said:

I have been known to have my off days when I will not let people join or even enter these are mainly tyre kickers some I have told to go away put on another 15kgs and comeback (Strongman in the making).  Places like The House  are where lifters train as opposed to working out like a Commercial or Shiny Land Gym.  As  Wookie said 2 guys came in seen what was there and walked out we have the same happen here you are greeted by  13 Squat racks that puts a lot of people  off.  You need some sort of goal and a some sort of plan on where you want to go or be, then you can start building towards that.  Strength is a marathon not a sprint so it wont happen overnight, but if you are in the right environment then it can happen a bit quicker.

What I tell prospective members is that

We are a Sewer Gym 

"You Put Shit In

You Get Shit Out"

You should come down on a Squat night which is every night, see some of members lifting and if you like the feel of the place then go from there if you don't quite jell then no harm done

OB 

Thanks for this. The straight up'ness of it has a lot of appeal. It's clear where everything stands, there is no grey.

Love the Sewer Gym message as well.

I'll have to sort my sh&t out and get down one day . 

On 2/24/2017 at 11:53 PM, urbano said:

Thanks for this. The straight up'ness of it has a lot of appeal. It's clear where everything stands, there is no grey.

Love the Sewer Gym message as well.

I'll have to sort my sh&t out and get down one day . 

No worries urbano when you are ready you will know

Cheers